Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just curious what people are going to do with the editor. I'm looking into implementing level scaling into the main campaign (pretty easy, actually, but lots of enemies aren't global so that's an issue), and may consider adding some more fights and quests and more items and stuff appropriate to Scales.

Probably not going to resurrect Of Doves and Demons, which was just way too ambitious. Maybe I'll convert it and just throw it up on the workshop in it's completely unfinished state.

old hand
old hand
My first project is going to be a shortish 3-8 hour type campaign. Intentionally going for nothing too fancy but am hoping to use the opportunity to work on my level design and making combat.

After that I'm going to go back to figuring out getting Dunamis to work on the EE. It already kind of works but the amount of errors scare me ouch

R
addict
addict
R
Getting Journey of the Lone Wolf to work for Enhanced Edition is pretty much the only thing I have planned.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I'm going to start work on a project named Bunny Island. Stay tuned ;)

A question for SniperHF: Was it easy to port over everything from the regular editor to the EEE?

Last edited by Willowblade; 03/04/16 02:55 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Willowblade
I'm going to start work on a project named Bunny Island. Stay tuned wink

A question for SniperHF: Was it easy to port over everything from the regular editor to the EEE?

The initial work, mostly yes. It depends on how much scripting you have though.

The thing I haven't even really attempted fixing yet is a whole bunch of the errors of unknown origin. You can find my thread about it a few posts down.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Rhidian thank you for getting back to JotLW mod for EE. One guy idle in town and modifying save files with some fishy program for extra bonuses wasn't for me and wouldn't even be the same experience than with your mod. I can't wait!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nothing personally, haven't got the time (and quite possibly the aptitude, lol) to learn this editor..

But if a sliiiight hijacking doesn't offend; i'm sure hoping someone will:
- 'update' or merge perhaps(?) the two crafting mods we had for the classic version
- fine-tune/lessen the combat animations
- make any NON-campaign/story mod that somehow enriches/expands/adds to the main game rather than simply adding more NPCs to pew pew

Am also hoping Baardvark's was it? Night and day module sees the light of the day as a stand-alone, without the mini campaign 'attached' to it. Even if only for show, without schedules, it would be cool.. and who knows, being readily available might motivate someone else to work on it further.

Again, apologies for being slightly off topic smile

Pride, honour and purity
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've got a big crafting mod as an optional file on my Scales page (see my signature). Contains most of the crafting recipes from the old mods and a bunch more. Craftable helmets, gloves, belts, lots of enchants, breakdown recipes of armor to scraps, many miscellaneous recipes, etc. I don't consider some of the recipes very balanced (mostly the added enchantments), so I'm tweaking the recipes a bit to integrate into Scales better, but the file (Super Extended Crafting) is there for now. The recipes aren't documented, so you'll just have to open the text file directly and see the recipes for yourself (start from the very bottom).

Really want to reduce combat animations but not my forte and haven't figured out any kind of work around.

As far as Night-day cycle for the main story goes, I might look into it, but may or may not be possible. Probably still some of the major issues there was before with transition problems with indoors/outdoors and other problems. Involves specific fine-tuning of atmospheres, so not something you can just slap onto main but it would be very satisfying to see Cyseal transition.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I know about your scales mod, yeah.. am/was tempted, but it's a "too much stuffed together in one" bundle. Needless to say, no offense meant; apart from the fact that i am the least capable person of criticising (read: clueless), am happy it's there, as it has helped others get into D:OS EE. I do like some of its aspects, but not all of them combined sadly.. (ie difficulty + new skills + new crafting all bundled up). Still a possibility though and for that i am thankful.

As far as your night/day, it seems i had misunderstood, was under the impression you had it made, except you simply chose to integrate it with your mod rather than putting it out on its own; baah, lol

Anyway, the more the merrier!

Pride, honour and purity
A
addict
addict
A
I would really like to integrate a Day and Night Cycle into the third version of the Mod I'm currently working on (Living World V. 1). I will definitely work on atmospheres for some places later and a more or less simple weather system (which regards Larians world design and local specifica). But Snipers and Baardvarks explorations let me hesitate to even try a Day and Night Cycle (beside the problem of Day and Night schedules for NPCs which would require building new houses and such, and the problem of adapting, not just adding features). I would be really happy if someone managed to integrate a Cycle or to show how to make it fully functional and consistent. Otherwise I will try to achieve that when I get to that point in my working progress.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Aenra, I meant there's a file on my Scales downloads page that just contains the crafting additions and nothing else.

Abraxas, I have some code I used for my mod, and looking into if it's possible to integrate it into main, which appears to be compatible still. First off, I have to disable existing atmosphere triggers, which is possible but a bit tedious (basically I'm giving them a negative height in the lsb files so they can't be entered. Then I'll add huge atmosphere triggers that covers the whole map of Cyseal, Luculla, Hiberheim, etc.

Now there's a few ways to do it I think to minimize transition issues. First off, there could just be 4 or 5 (dawn, morning, afternoon, dusk, night) atmospheres for each major area that transition very quickly every 4 minutes or so. Would still give a kind of impression of day-night, but damn is watching the atmospheres slowly transition into each other so much cooler. Problem with slow transitions is going to a new level or new area (e.g., underground) automatically finishes them. So something Sniper did was make 24 different atmospheres that slowly transition into each other. This way when an atmosphere gets finished from teleporting into them, the atmosphere will only be still for a moment. But that's more work and more difficult to work with for scripts probably (but not impossible.)

Another possibility is to keep existing atmosphere triggers and make 4-5 atmospheres for each so certain areas (like the burning area and foggy undead area) would maintain their vibe but there'd still be day-night cycles. But that's even more work and probably even more possibility for issues.

It's probably just the kind of thing you'd have to accept a bit of imperfection with, some situations not working exactly right but the overall effect still being pretty cool. I should probably finish Scales first, too...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I thought your crafting mod was (Scales) main-dependent...
/dumb

Thanks for clarifying @Baardvark smile

Pride, honour and purity
A
addict
addict
A
I will keep these things in mind, thank you Baardvark. I will also have a look into the Day and Night Cycle thread between you and Rhidian and watch Snipers video a second time for preparation. But maybe time will surpass me and things are already achieved when I reach that point.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
M
M
I've been working on the lore for an original campaign, that I'm planning to make with the D:OS2 Editor. There are already 15+ Word pages of written material and a handcrafted map I've painted with some freeware painting program.

Now that the EE editor is out I'll probably wait some weeks for Larian to release a stable build and then I'm gonna make a small 1 hour prequel campaign.

All to often have my attemps to make a scenario/mod been permanently blocked by some bug that makes the editor crash when I tries to open my work.

I'm a noob when it comes to modding or coding, I mostly just follows some video tutorial word by word, and the frustration of the unstable builds for the vanilla editor sort of forced my creative energy into making the lore and background for the world that I plan my campaign to take place in.

I know that what I have planned will probably take years to complete, but then again I've played CRPG since the late 90' and I have a lot of patience. Working on this thing has become some sort of a hobby to me and a "meditative tool" (if you can call it that) I use when trying to fall asleep, just close my eyes and think of loremaking delight sleep

I personally won't enjoy a RPG much, if there is not some sort of background lore or setting to it. Something to give the illusion that it is a real world you are interacting with, there are things happening around you and you are not the center of attention. That's why I love games set in the Forgotten Realms, because there is just this vast world surrounding these games.
When I have made my written lore material a little more cohesive, I would like to post it on the forum to see what fellow fantasy RPG'ers think of it.

Last edited by MAHak; 05/04/16 08:54 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by MAHak
I've been working on the lore for an original campaign, that I'm planning to make with the D:OS2 Editor. There are already 15+ Word pages of written material and a handcrafted map I've painted with some freeware painting program.

Sounds like a lot of work. I would highly recommend working on that short mod, it will give you a much better idea of what's possible.

I'm always willing to help out on D:OS editor questions so if you get rolling and run into problems post them on the board.

Hopefully the D:OS 2 editor is easier, and if that's the case your experience in the EE editor will make you a relative pro :P

M
M
Originally Posted by SniperHF
Sounds like a lot of work. I would highly recommend working on that short mod, it will give you a much better idea of what's possible.

I'm always willing to help out on D:OS editor questions so if you get rolling and run into problems post them on the board.

Hopefully the D:OS 2 editor is easier, and if that's the case your experience in the EE editor will make you a relative pro :P

Thanks I appreciate that.

I should be ready to uploadd some lore and a small level probably by mid May since April is exam season at my university aargh .

Last edited by MAHak; 06/04/16 07:28 AM.
M
M

Here are some pictures of how "far" I came with the town on my first map.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

The harbor
[Linked Image]

The market
[Linked Image]

The mayors mansion
[Linked Image]

The park
[Linked Image]

The slums

[Linked Image]

The temple
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MAHak; 13/04/16 06:28 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Heh, you really went all out despite Sniper's advice :P Is this your "small level"? Looks good, both as a whole and the details, though it's going to be a ton of work to fill all that space up with actual stuff to do. Running around a pretty town is one thing, making it feel alive is another, especially in a pristine-ish town like that, which doesn't look like it's going to be full of combat. Best of luck!

M
M
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Heh, you really went all out despite Sniper's advice :P Is this your "small level"? Looks good, both as a whole and the details, though it's going to be a ton of work to fill all that space up with actual stuff to do. Running around a pretty town is one thing, making it feel alive is another, especially in a pristine-ish town like that, which doesn't look like it's going to be full of combat. Best of luck!

Thanks.
This is from the "classical" editor. I worked on it, on and off, for a couple of months last autumn. This level is "dead" now. The plan is to make a small prequel level/map with the Enhanced editor and then go "all out" wink when D:OS 2 comes out.

old hand
old hand
You'll have a way easier time in a sense making that map for D:OS 2 since D:OS 2 has way more building and roof templates compared to D:OS EE. A town that massive will look so samey in D:OS EE due to the limited structure options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard