Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Baardvark
[quote=Cadmus88]
I tried to use that lsb maker thing in the root templates but didn't have too much luck.

Yes, there are a few gotchas. Here's how it works for me (text based on Cadmus88's explanation, but with some additions in bold):

1. Find the root in the Create and View templates tool
2. Right click on it and select Create new from selected
3. https://monosnap.com/file/UYzYOe5AXB1Xye3S4jnlvm0astRGVj

--Select your mod in drop down (1)
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb) (2)
--Click Add (3)
-- Click "continue" in the exception dialog box that appears
--Select that lsb in the drop down (4)
-- Click on the"FileName" field in the "Base" section (different from the "FileName" field at the bottom of the dialog), click on the button with the three dots at the end, navigate to Public\YourMod\RootTemplates (create that folder if it doesn't exist), and enter a name for the lsb file you want to use (Name.lsb). Only do that now, because selecting the lsb from the drop down resets this field back to its value from the original template
--Enter the name for your root (5)
(next time you just select lsb, don't need to create it)
-- If the lsb does not appear in the pop-up menu the next time for some reason, add it again. You also always have to change the FileName under Base for every new RootTemplate you add
-- If you forgot to change the FileName under Base before entering a name in step (5), you have to change the name from step (5) again (if only by deleting and adding the same character) after correcting the FileName under Base before you can continue.

stranger
stranger
Sorry for the stupid question (also I'm not sure it's right thread for it).

But... How to rotate the camera (Editor mode)? I've tried all keyboard keys, checked all toolbar buttons and haven't found anything. In camera Game mode I can easily use in-game keys for the camera rotating, but Game mode has some limits like zoom distance, camera moving speed and so on – which is not comfortable for editing.

Also, it's not very clear how to do some basic things – sometimes I can change a terrain, sometimes I can't and there is no messages/errors/hints for such cases.

Is there any VERY BASIC editor UI description?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by norlin
Sorry for the stupid question (also I'm not sure it's right thread for it).

But... How to rotate the camera (Editor mode)? I've tried all keyboard keys, checked all toolbar buttons and haven't found anything. In camera Game mode I can easily use in-game keys for the camera rotating, but Game mode has some limits like zoom distance, camera moving speed and so on – which is not comfortable for editing.

Middle mouse = pivot camera. Basically hold down middle mouse whenever moving around. Makes it move kinda like an FPS.

Adjust camera speed is shift or control. So hold control + middle mouse + WASD/Arrow keys to go slow. And use shift instead to go fast (not that useful).

Also, if you just read through this forum using the default forum settings it cuts off threads at like the last 6 months. If you go all the way to the bottom, click show topics: From All Dates. There are a lot of old threads people probably don't see because of that. Some of the info is dated and wrong but a lot of it is valuable. Same thing when searching.

If you have any random questions like this feel free to post them. Or you can add me on Steam and bug me that way, username SniperHF.

sometimes I can change a terrain, sometimes I can't and there is no messages/errors/hints for such cases.

Are you talking about textures or shape?

If you are editing the terrain, try making sure that particular piece of terrain is selected on the terrain panel.

Is there any VERY BASIC editor UI description?

Not really.

Last edited by SniperHF; 27/04/16 06:22 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
In editor mode you can rotate camera holding scroll button on your mouse. WASD or arrows are used to fly around. Also you can 'pan' across the map holding both left and right mouse buttons

stranger
stranger
> Middle mouse = pivot camera.

Ahhh... I don't have a middle button. :-( Also, I can't press left and right buttons simultaneously.
Is there any way to adjust the controls? I'm just using Mac with Apple Mouse, not sure it's a good way to buy new mouse especially for the editor %)

I've found when holding "space" button I can move the camera just by moving the mouse, so maybe anything like that is possible for rotating as well? (say, "space + alt" or like that)

> Are you talking about textures or shape?

At least, shape. I've just tried to play a bit with the editor at the first time and found it's very uncomfortable to do anything. For sure it's because I don't know any special hotkeys and so on...

Anyway, thanks a lot! Will try to figure it...

Last edited by norlin; 27/04/16 07:03 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by norlin

I've just tried to play a bit with the editor at the first time and found it's very uncomfortable to do anything. For sure it's because I don't know any special hotkeys and so on...

If you haven't yet, make sure to watch the video tutorials: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508328

stranger
stranger
JFYI: Autohotkey free software is work just great for the "middle button" issue!

For example, this script allows you to use Ctrl+Right click as Middle click:
Code
^RButton::
Send {Click D M}
While GetKeyState("Control","P")
	Sleep 10
Send {Click U M}
Return

(For those who are also using Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad)

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hey guys,

i wanted to create a new level and every time i create a terrain i got flackering black visual bug. If i rotate and move my camera i can see a entirely black screen or some parts of my terrain.

If i create a terrain with a size of 300*300 like the tutorial said my whole engine loads 5min and crashes. If i create a smaller terrain like the one in my picture i got this "black visual error".

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

http://imgur.com/tQ5X6zT

Bultzen

N
stranger
stranger
N
I can make a mod to place a book near the starting point of the game, but when I choose to start a new game with the mod, it just refuses to load and returns me back to the main screen.

When I load the mod back up in the editor, it shows my book there.. The game just refuses to run with the mod active.

Something so simple, so complicated. :(

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Did you go into Modding > module settings and set the startup level and Menu level? IIRC for main the startup level should be Character Creation and the menu level is pretty obvious.

You also might need to open the story editor and run a generate definitions + build.

N
stranger
stranger
N
That worked! I would have never found that.. Weird that something like that wouldn't just be inherited from Main.. It's pretty obscure but I guess no mod would work without it!

Thanks so much.. Now I can finally mess around with the game to my heart's content!!

Or at least, crash it spectacularly. hahaha

thankyou

P
stranger
stranger
P
So I've got the GOG version up and running and I whenever I launch even a blank slate standalone module, the main menu theme starts playing like in the original post of this thread. That's not a big deal, but I seem to have a low memory cap severely limiting what I can do. I'm launching the editor from "C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\The Divinty Engine Enhanced Edition\TheDivinityEngine.exe". I have 8GB of RAM which surpasses the listed recommended requirements, but whenever I launch a blank slate standalone module I see in the bottom left corner that I'm already at 19% with a cap of only 1690MB. When I try to create a 300x300 terrain as shown in the tutorial the editor runs out of memory & crashes. I can create a 111x111, but I reach the cap of 100% memory use if I do.

My searches on this website and google have been dead ends. Under preferences my Editor Data Path (C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\Editor\) and Game Data Path are correct (C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\). Am I overlooking something? Any suggestions?

old hand
old hand
I think they've changed the units of the terrain creator to "patches," where a 2x2 is about equivalent to the original 300x300 terrain size in the tutorial, so a 300x300 or even 111x111 terrain size now would be ginormous. Even a 10x10 terrain is probably really big.

P
stranger
stranger
P
That was problem. Thanks Baardvark. I'm surprised the 111x111 even came up.

A
addict
addict
A
On the subject of modding the main campaign, again:

I've tried my best to add new scripts to existing characters of the main campaign with the Editor (one thing which the Editor is released for!). New module, dependencies on Main and Shared, datapacks Main and Shared. But changes on existing characters of Cyseal (in this case) can't be saved due to missing developer rights. Then copied the Global files of Cyseal (Data\Mods\Main\Globals\Cyseal\Characters) to my mod module and loaded my module: saving changes on characters seems to work, the scripts are added. Closing the editor, starting and loading my module: changes are gone. Adding scripts again: can't be saved due to missing developer rights. That's a basic thing the Editor does not allow. Same with ALL existing objects.
A tool that is released to facilitate those things forces to search through all the Global files and copy Script-IDs to the right places. It's not difficult to do that but requires significantly more time: converting lsb- to lsx-files, copying IDs, finding characters, adding lines, re-converting lsx to lsb, copying the files to the mod folder - and unnecessarily it's always possible to make mistakes here.

Is there any way to make the editor allow changes on existing objects of the main campaign? And if not: will there ever be?

Last edited by Abraxas*; 21/05/16 08:28 AM.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*
Then copied the Global files of Cyseal (Data\Mods\Main\Globals\Cyseal\Characters) to my mod module and loaded my module: saving changes on characters seems to work, the scripts are added. Closing the editor, starting and loading my module: changes are gone. Adding scripts again: can't be saved due to missing developer rights.

Instead of copying the files yourself, have you tried just:
Right click >Copy selected objects to mod?

I haven't tried using custom made scripts but I have been able to change scripts. For example I changed the tutorial skeleton from having a mustard gas grenade to having an ice grenade.

Last edited by SniperHF; 21/05/16 08:56 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Where did you right click? Sounds like the solution!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*
Where did you right click? Sounds like the solution!

Directly on the object/character. What's hilarious is this functionality has been in the editor since forever but very few people have used it. I've only known about it myself for a few months but I don't mess with main much either.

One of those things it would have been nice to know existed. In the early days there were a couple dozen threads on getting main modding working. Would have been nice if someone from Larian popped in and said HEY DO THIS!.

Last edited by SniperHF; 21/05/16 09:20 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
You're right! You can right click on objects and get much more options than when you click right on objects in the items and characters lists. Really weird. I'll try to add my scripts later. Thank you very much. I think you saved my precious life time!

A
addict
addict
A
It works. I didn't know that D:OS has puzzles even in the Editor. Thank you a lot!

If you need something for your A Necromancer's Crusade mod (maybe scripts for 'ambience' NPCs) just order.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard