Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So, every few minutes, I'm getting an annoying error that keeps trying to tell me about how my GPU is apparently being physical removed from it's socket (???)

[Linked Image]

Here is the error message that usually appears, but the last time it crashed it didn't for some reason, the only thing I changed was disabling antivirus and firewall to see if that works. After reenabling them however, the error came back. Also, windows gives me the following popup, regardless of antivirus and firewall settings:

[Linked Image]

I'm running a Windows 10 installation, with a GTX 980Ti. At first I thought that the errors were do to an unstable overclock, but they keep reappearing no matter how lower I push the overclock down, even though I get absolutely no problems in other games like The Witcher 2 and Guild Wars 2, along with Valley, Heaven, and Firestrike benchmarks, so I sort of doubt that's the problem (Witcher 2 is sort of (in)famous for having a great and passionate contempt for overclocked GPU's as far as I know). The game is a GOG version.

Here is the Event Viewer log:

Faulting application name: EoCApp.exe, version: 2.0.119.430, time stamp: 0x571dde2b
Faulting module name: EoCApp.exe, version: 2.0.119.430, time stamp: 0x571dde2b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000f786a1
Faulting process id: 0x18b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e9bc5beed15d
Faulting application path: C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Shipping\EoCApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Shipping\EoCApp.exe
Report Id: 4a5d5641-a15e-42b4-8874-1f865c88e9da
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The errors have varying Fault offsets and Faulting process id's, if that has any matter.

Other than disabling antivirus and firewall, I've tried:

-disabling texture streaming (which makes all the textures in the game look incredibly low-res and ugly, I don't think it's supposed to do that)
-running in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and 8
-messing around with the framecap and VSync settings

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, and hopefully, possible fixes?

EDIT: Just to make sure, I tried physically shaking my PC case while playing. No crashes occurred until later, when I let the game on and left the room for a few minutes.

Last edited by Doomjoon; 29/07/16 05:35 PM.
Support
Support

Did this just start happening recently?

Try a clean re-install of the nvidia graphics drivers. See here or here, for example.

If that doesn't help, you can use a program called TDR Manipulator to change a Windows setting which controls if and how Windows restarts the video drivers. Telling Windows to stop the resets may eliminate the crashes with the game, though if there is an actual problem causing the resets it will not be fixed, and could potentially lead the computer freezing.

If you upgraded to Windows 10, you could try reverting back to Win 7/8, possibly installed to a different drive/partition. That helped one person with this error: DXGI ERROR Crash - turned WIN 10 conflict.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It seems like the driver cleanup fixed the issue, thank you.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard