Print Thread
H
hamad Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
H
Hello,

I love the game it's really well built, but I still think it could be better if racial passives weren't as class specific, or at least served other classes too.

For example Elf/Lizard skills are give +2 fineness/intelligence each. Now that says an elf is most likely to be a rogue, and lizard is most likely to be a mage.

What I think is that is should be like humans where it does not serve a specific class in a direct way, or make it so that the stats can serve other classes.

Now intelligence can serve a none mage with using summoning scrolls, though that's my experience with the first divinity, however, I cannot see how other classes would benefit from elf's fineness , for it increases rogue damage and dodge. Dodge will only be useful if you have a lot of it you either dodge or you don't, so in contrast to intelligence having *some* won't do you anything. that's why I think either the elf passive should be tweaked or finesses could be adjusted to serve more classes.

That suggestion is just to ensure people don't feel the need to min max from the start, and see that they aren't punished for roleplaying. I wanted to make a mage and my options were clearly lizard or human I just couldn't see elf as viable.

I know people could choose elf either way but if they choose it for none rogue they might get the feeling of regret through out the game play hence I propose the change.

Thank you for your considerate reply.

journeyman
journeyman
Agreed.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
H
stranger
stranger
H
I partially agree. For one, specific attributes being preferred for a given race is like the bread and butter of racial bonuses in RPGs. That being said, of course "everbody does it" does not mean it has to be that way.

I actually think the racial special abilities are already a very good step towards having more generic, always useful abilities, and I think Larian did well to design them.

However, I can also agree that specifically finesse (Elf) and strength (Dwarf) are rather specific and not easily useful with many classes.
Maybe an easy compromise would be to just change them to Constitution (Dwarf) and Memory (Elf), which are more generally useful. The memory stat would also go well with the corps eater ability.

Last edited by HauRukh; 17/09/16 08:06 AM.
H
hamad Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
H
[quote=HauRukh]I partially agree. For one, specific attributes being preferred for a given race is like the bread and butter of racial bonuses in RPGs. That being said, of course "everbody does it" does not mean it has to be that way.

I actually think the racial special abilities are already a very good step towards having more generic, always useful abilities, and I think Larian did well to design them.

However, I can also agree that specifically finesse (Elf) and strength (Dwarf) are rather specific and not easily useful with many classes.
Maybe an easy compromise would be to just change them to Constitution (Dwarf) and Memory (Elf), which are more generally useful. The memory stat would also go well with the corps eater ability. [/quote]
how about editting finesses and strength that they aren't useless to other characters? strength used to give inventory space in divinity 1

N
N
Definitely agreed. As I mentioned in another topic, it would be ideal if there were multiple special bonuses one could choose from that was unique to each race, but able to benefit any build.

As an example, for lizard they get +2 int and a breath attack that doesn't really scale well. If it were me, I'd have made the active ability something more universally useful, like say...a shed skin ability that lowers con for 1 turn, but purgres all positive and negative effects.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by HauRukh
I partially agree. For one, specific attributes being preferred for a given race is like the bread and butter of racial bonuses in RPGs. That being said, of course "everbody does it" does not mean it has to be that way.

I can agree with both of those. Different attribute point distribution for different races are pretty standard so it's not unreasonable to do it in the way Larian does it.

On the other had, it's certainly possible to improve the system and make tweaks. In particular, the Dwarf bonuses don't synergize with each other. They get one bonus which is great for warriors and another which is great for rogues.

Maybe an easy compromise would be to just change them to Constitution (Dwarf) and Memory (Elf), which are more generally useful. The memory stat would also go well with the corps eater ability.

Those sound good indeed. I just don't know what to do with Lizards in that case.

Originally Posted by Nivv
Definitely agreed. As I mentioned in another topic, it would be ideal if there were multiple special bonuses one could choose from that was unique to each race, but able to benefit any build.

As an example, for lizard they get +2 int and a breath attack that doesn't really scale well. If it were me, I'd have made the active ability something more universally useful, like say...a shed skin ability that lowers con for 1 turn, but purgres all positive and negative effects.

Shed Skin does sound like a pretty cool and useful racial skill.

H
hamad Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
H
no one is considering changing the effect of stats themselves instead of talents? like give strength a secondary usage like OS 1, also if fineness gave defence instead of dodge it would be more useful since even a little of it would make a difference.

That would be good too so that if you get gear with such stats they won't be completely useless.

Last edited by hamad; 17/09/16 05:43 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
The lizard could have some form of innate regeneration or disease/poison resistance.
But I do agree. The racial passives could use a touch-up to open up more builds.

veteran
veteran
There was another thread about this: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=585915#Post585915

...and yeah, pretty much everyone seem to agree that non class-specific racial traits would be a better thing in the end.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Agreed.
No Racial boni for Strength / Finesse or Intelligence.
This just "forces" you to play a Elven Rogue / Lizard Mage etc.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Darkraign
Agreed.
No Racial boni for Strength / Finesse or Intelligence.
This just "forces" you to play a Elven Rogue / Lizard Mage etc.

Yep. And my favourite dwarves are like +2 str and +1 sneak. And that's somewhere between the brute-dwarf-smash-it-all and finesse-oriented sneaky little fellow. I mean, just opposite one to another.
If considering general fantasy canon, dwarves should have a notch more HP and some natural magic resistance. But that's only IMO, I know Larian have their own vision of this - like the cannibal elves, for example.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard