Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#587876 20/09/16 06:28 PM
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D:OS 2 could probably use more talent ideas. In particular, I noticed that there aren't really many mage-specific talents - at least not ones lacking in major drawbacks.

I've also added in the Equivalents for Ice King and Demon for Earth and Air. I'll also make suggestions for changes on some Talents which are in the game now.

Airhead - Increase your maximum Air Resistance by 15%, decrease your Earth Resistance by 15%. Increase your maximum Air Resistance by 10%.

Berserker - As your health decreases, your damage increases.

Basically, your damage increases the closer you are to death. This idea is stolen from the Kickstarter campaign's "Juggernaut" skill set idea.

It could work something like this:

0-10% = 2.00x damage. 11-15% = 1.75x damage. 16-20% = 1.50x damage, 21-25% = 1.25x damage, 26%+ = 1.00 damage. Basically, if you’re under 25% health, the more dead you are, the more damage you can deal. This has its own inherent risk-reward because of course you’re almost dead. This should affect all damage types, including magic (initial hits, not DoT) not just melee.

Brilliant But Lazy - Increase your number of skill slots by 2 (or your Memory by whatever is enough to give you 2 skill slots), but lose 2 Strength and 2 Finesse.

This one is aimed more for pure spellcasters, and lets them "trade in" stats which they have less use for for skill slots which they need more of.

Counter Strike - Dodging an enemy melee attack gives you a 25% chance to automatically retaliate with a normal attack.

This only works if you have a melee weapon equipped of course. This could be “fun” to give to some enemies as well! The counter can be blocked or dodged (Counter-counter-counter-counter...).

Grounded – Increase your maximum Earth Resistance by 15%, decrease your Air Resistance by 15%. Increase your maximum Earth Resistance by 10%

Healer - Increase the power of your healing spells by 25%, but attack spells do 25% less damage. PLUS Physical and Magical armor increased by 20% -AND/OR- Cooldowns for Healing spells decreased by 1 turn.

Shield Bash – (Requires a shield equipped) Blocking an enemy melee attack gives you a 25% chance to automatically retaliate with a bash.

This deals 25-50% of your weapon damage as crushing damage. The bash can be blocked or dodged.

What Talent ideas do you have?

See also this discussion on returning Talents

I also am not a fan of Walk it Off returning unchanged. I think that the downside of positive status effects also losing a turn makes the Talent basically cancel itself out. I'd support losing the negative part of that Talent, or change how it works to something like "Decrease the duration of negative status effects by 1 turn if you move at least 10.0 meters in the current turn.

Escapist also seems underwhelming, and it still says "Incompatible with Courageous", which seems to be removed. I'd almost go as far as saying that Escapist should be combined with "Duck Duck Goose". Almost.

EDIT: Borrowed an idea from Ellery to improve Healer.

Last edited by Stabbey; 04/10/16 10:34 PM. Reason: PLUS
N
N
These are mostly a copy+paste from another topic. Basically, they are very rough examples of stuff I would like to see to some extent that would allow us to further define our playstyle, mostly for flavor, but also with bonuses and possible downsides/sacrifices to make it more interesting.

Barbarian: Jewelry/belts/etc gain a massive percentage of increased physical/magical defense, and the player gains increased movement rate, and massive scaling melee attack damage/crit, but can no longer wear armor, use scrolls, ranged weapons, or magic.

Duelist: Can only equip a single one handed non-blunt weapon and no shield, but gain increased damage/crit, reduced ap cost for attack, and increased dodge/parry. Receive extra penalties from being flanked, but can also backstab without daggers.

Barefisted: Can no longer use any weapons or heavy armor, gain massive bonus to dodge/fist damage/crit that scales with level, warfare and dagger skills are modified somehow to be usable with fists

Spell focus: Magic damage is increased, costs less ap to use, and cooldown is quicker, but you cannot gain any physical/magical defenses outside temporary sources, like from fortify, and have a penalty to con and movement ap.

Healer: All hostile/damaging spells refresh slower and cost more ap, but all beneficial or neutral spells refresh faster.

etc.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Does anyone actually pick the resistance related talents? especially now that CC is not related to resistance?

Out of the ones you guys mentioned, I like Berserker and Duelist. I also like the "Move X amount to remove status effects" idea for Walk it Off . Although that defeats the purpose if you are CC'ed you can't move, so maybe it would have to be tweaked in some other way

I'm okay with the healing related talents, although there seem to only be a few healing spells compared to 95% damaging spells, so I dunno if anyone would ever conceivably take it unless the downside was reduced to like -10% damage

I feel like any of them that discourage using items (Barbarian, Barefisted) are not a great design. Items are a good mechanic in the game, and removing that mechanic really doesn't have any positive value.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nivv
Duelist: Can only equip a single one handed non-blunt weapon and no shield, but gain increased damage/crit, reduced ap cost for attack, and increased dodge/parry. Receive extra penalties from being flanked, but can also backstab without daggers.

That shouldn't require a talent but work like that out of the box if you choose to fight with a one-handed weapon and without a shield. Bearing shields should reduce crit-chance and dodge and increase AP costs but should also grant massive additional armour and stat bonuses.

I'm not a friend of the backstabbing thing though. I think backstabbing should only work for daggers no matter what.

WOOS
K
stranger
stranger
K
Good stuff. In paticular I remember a friend being dissapointed in DOS1 that there wasn't any sort of shield bashing skills or talents.

Couple quick ideas

Dark Soul - you take no damage from cursed surfaces, but are damaged by blessed ones.

Phoenix - When you are ressurected, you deal [a ton] of fire damage in an area around you, and gain immunity to fire for 3 turns. Res trigger talents like morning person seem hard to make worth it, I know, but it seemed neat and thematic

Originally Posted by Kindulas
Dark Soul - you take no damage from cursed surfaces, but are damaged by blessed ones.

This would actually be a downgrade. Normally, you are buffed by one surface and damaged by the other. With this talent, you would be immune to one surface and damaged by the other. So instead of positive and negative, it would just be neutral and negative.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by Kindulas

I like this, but like charity said it is a net negative to take this talent. Should be the effects are reversed. That is still a net negative because you spent a talent point for no on paper benefit. But it could be tactically useful, and thematically fun.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's also a net negative because halfway through Chapter 1...

After some battles end, blessed surfaces automatically appear underneath your party members, so if you took that Talent, it could actually kill you when it was meant to be healing you!

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It's also a net negative because halfway through Chapter 1...

After some battles end, blessed surfaces automatically appear underneath your party members, so if you took that Talent, it could actually kill you when it was meant to be healing you!

Are you sure they just appear? I would like this talent and think it would be good enough to take. As soon as there is a voidwoken there is a cursed surface -> good and i only saw blessed ones if i used bless.
Dont forget that a surface gets blessed as soon as someone blessed touches it and gets cursed as soon as someone cursed touches it.

Some Talent Suggestions

Racial Enemy
========
~Elves, Humans and Dwarves get this talent and get to choose their racial enemy. The damage multiplier effects critical damage for weapon attacks. Useful for assassins and fighters etc
~Lizards regard everyone as inferior so don't get to choose this talent. They are too indifferent. Instead they get a Talent called Arrogance.

Arrogance
======
~Lizards gain +2 to all interactions with lesser species when making a demand on them by invoking a sense of superiority and a feeling of inferiority on those affected. Can only be used once on any given npc and won't work on party members.

Drunken Monkey
==========
~Keep your opponents off-guard as you lurch into the fray with a wild and unpredictable fighting style
Adds +2 to your chance to hit and +3 to your chance to dodge. There is a 50% chance you will lose an action point per turn due to the need to hurl.

Mimic
====
~Mimic an opponents actions by playing the fool and provoke them into attacking you. Useful if you want to start a fight but don't want to lose faction reputation by attacking first. Opponents who are provoked will make a rash charge in your direction. Opponents who are 2+ levels above you are immune to this talent and will laugh at you instead. Only affects humanoid races.

Last edited by BlueGuy; 21/09/16 08:11 AM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Some Talent Suggestions

Racial Enemy
========
~Elves, Humans and Dwarves get this talent and get to choose their racial enemy. The damage multiplier effects critical damage for weapon attacks. Useful for assassins and fighters etc
~Lizards regard everyone as inferior so don't get to choose this talent. They are too indifferent. Instead they get a Talent called Arrogance.

Arrogance
======
~Lizards gain +2 to all interactions with lesser species by invoking a sense of superiority and a feeling of inferiority on those affected. Merchants always think you have lots of coin to spend and will disapprove slightly if you don't.

Drunken Monkey
==========
~Keep your opponents off-guard as you lurch into the fray with a wild and unpredictable fighting style
Adds +2 to your chance to hit and +3 to your chance to dodge. There is a 50% chance you will lose an action point per turn due to the need to hurl.

Mimic
====
~Mimic an opponents actions by playing the fool and provoke them into attacking you. Useful if you want to start a fight but don't want to lose faction reputation by attacking first. Opponents who are provoked will make a rash charge in your direction. Opponents who are 2+ levels above you are immune to this talent and will laugh at you instead. Only affects humanoid races.

Most of these sound funny but i guess we will fight more humans than elves/dwarfes -> not really a choice smirk

I like arrogance ^^

Drunken monkey sounds okay but RNG for AP/CC etc. isnt that great.

Mimic again sounds like fun but i think it would be abused too much in a game like this.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Darkraign

Are you sure they just appear?

Positive. There's even mysterious voices and your party members commenting on their appearance.

I would like this talent and think it would be good enough to take. As soon as there is a voidwoken there is a cursed surface -> good and i only saw blessed ones if i used bless.
Dont forget that a surface gets blessed as soon as someone blessed touches it and gets cursed as soon as someone cursed touches it.

Perhaps instead of "Dark Soul" reversing the effects, there could be a talent "Naturally Blessed" which reduces the damage you take from cursed surface effects by 50%. Although that might be a pretty powerful one, so it seems like that would need a downside such as (just throwing that out there) "Blessed surfaces are 25% less effective at healing you".

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
So many of these sound like cool ideas, but also a fundamental overhaul of your character.
Are talents not suposed to do something cool and/or usefull that doesn't fundamentally change how you play.
(I guess zombie kinda does that, but still... these things sound really hard to balance).

journeyman
journeyman
I agree with Skallewag there.

Stabbey's talents seem the most inline with existing D:OS talents.

My only issues are the two that require double RNG (Counter strike and Shield bash) as both of those talents require you to first get the dodge or block to have a chance of getting the talent benefit.

That being said I still like the idea of them.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A couple more ideas. Once again, I'm throwing these ideas out there, they likely would need a bunch of tweaking for balance.

Synergist AKA "Elemental Infusion" AKA "Elemental Retribution"

When standing in a surface or cloud, your next spell will inflict some additional damage based on the surface/cloud type. (This idea is really rough)

Some ideas based on specific Elemental masteries:

A Touch of Frost - Requires: Hydrosophist 10

A 5% chance for hits from any non-fire melee or spell attacks to inflict Frozen for one turn. (Check: Magic armor)

Convection - Requires: Pyrokinetic 10.
If Warm or Burning at the start of your turn, active skill cooldowns are reduced by 1 turn to a minimum of 0. If Wet, Chilled, or Frozen at the start of your turn, active skill cooldowns are increased by 1 turn.

So if after you previous turn ended, you had 3 skills on cooldown, one with 5 turns, one with 3 turns, and one with 2 turns, and you got set on fire before your next turn came back up, the cooldowns would do the usual tick down, so 4, 2, 1 turns left, then Convection would kick in and they would go to 3, 1, 0 turns. You could use that 0 turn cooldown right away.

Fully Charged - Requires: Aerothurge 10. Incompatible with Glass Cannon.

For every 25% of your maximum health that you take in Air-type damage in the course of one turn, you gain +1 Maximum and +1 Turn AP for your next turn only. Capped at +3.

Absorb electricity from surfaces - taking damage instead of being stunned - to gain 1 AP per surface cleared.

(Perhaps absorbing a surface in this way will do a flat 25% or 33% of your maximum health in air damage, bypassing magic armor, but maybe that 25/33% amount is then reduced by whatever your air resistance is?)

Made of Stone - Requires: Geomancer 10. (Possibly Incompatible with What a Rush?)

When under 30% Health, all physical damage you receive is reduced by 67%.

Last edited by Stabbey; 04/10/16 10:35 PM. Reason: feedback change
addict
addict
Hiyo, great thread~ just going to toss a few ideas I have here.

Brains, not Brawn

- Similar to your idea a +2 Memory to gain 1 spell slot and +2 Intelligence. At the cost of -2 strength and -2 Con. Less hit points to make up for added skills.

Threatening Presence

- A character with this talent would be a more likely to be focused for attacks. Great for a tank.

The Pure

- This talent is meant for a healer / buffing type character. All Physical and Magical armor granted is increased by 20% all healing by 25-30%. But at a cost. Damage is reduced by 75%. Also less likely to be targeted by enemies.

Icy Stare

- Talent would reduce damage slightly 10% but greatly increase the change to freeze targets.

veteran
veteran
75% damage loss sounds pretty harsh and feels to expensive for the benefits. I'm not sure if a purely supportive role would be really usefull. Heals are only needed if someone is wounded, at higher level so only at about third round and buffs like Fortify are to scarce usable, they have pretty tough cooldown.

I guess Icy Stare would be pretty pointless at current state, because the chance to freeze them is either 100% or 0% smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
75% damage loss sounds pretty harsh and feels to expensive for the benefits. I'm not sure if a purely supportive role would be really usefull. Heals are only needed if someone is wounded, at higher level so only at about third round and buffs like Fortify are to scarce usable, they have pretty tough cooldown.

I guess Icy Stare would be pretty pointless at current state, because the chance to freeze them is either 100% or 0% smile

O_O Oh, I play a pure support character. like the only attack spell she has it the starting ones.. which I plan on lose once we can choose out starting spells.

the freeze thing I didn't know! now I need to go freeze more people.

Some interesting ideas Ellary. I especially like Brains, not Brawn although I would increase the penalties somewhat because it is a great advantage having more memory compared to the penalty.

veteran
veteran
My my mage was quite purely hydromage, having offence and defence, mainly because CC is still the best support and Warlord totally broken at current state. She healed, shielded, teleported, froze, slowed and set everything on fire. laugh

In DOS2 you just need to get rid of all the magic armor to freeze for sure (exception immunities of course). smile

In DOS1 there were chances of having the effect and chances of withstanding the effect.

You exchange 4 skill points for 4 other skill points, so it seems quite equal.

Last edited by Kalrakh; 04/10/16 09:53 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard