Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
It's the most powerful spell in the game, but you won't find it in the skill tree - it's called 'save game'. You know where I'm coming from - you're in the middle of one of the most challenging battles, and you've one character left standing: the remaining enemy's health is as low as yours. It's either you or him, but the ball's in your court. The tension is building - all your hard work, all the careful strategy, and now's the time to roll the dice.

What if you miss?

Well, fear not: save game is here to save the day. You open the menu screen, and you hit save. If your luck runs out, you hit 'load game', and you can start again at the same point in time. Crisis averted. You can even do it as many times as you want.

There needs to be some rule around saving games during battle, in other words. To be honest, battles in D:OS are brief enough that making it impossible to save games during a fight wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. But failing that, I think there should be a cooldown on being allowed to save during battle. Like every 3 rounds, it lets you save.

Some will no doubt say it's up to you to simply not save. But that's not the point. Tension is entertainment. And you can't create tension if you know the save & reload feature is always there to save your ass. It's about the psychology behind it: it's about outright denying you this cheap tactic. You can never give in to temptation, because you're never tempted in the first place.

I think it should be removed completely during combat, and you'd feel far more rewarded for having finished a particularly tough battle, knowing you didn't have the biggest superpower cheat in the game to fall back on.

A
addict
addict
A
......You do know this is entirely moot with the honour mode? It's simply not in yet.

I sure as heck wouldn't encourage honour mode aspects in every mode.

At most, I'd say some basic options to decide these types of things at the beginning of each playthrough would be okay. Would make "honour mode" just the mode where all options were selected for the current playthrough.

Last edited by aj0413; 02/10/16 10:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Or

and I know this is just a totally wild, off the wall concept here

you could just exercise some self-control and choose to not save in combat. Like I do.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I understand your point but will respectfully disagree, you lose some tension being able to save whenever you want sure, but it also negates the times you accidently get things ruined, such as a AoE hits a guard so all friendlies turns against you, you dont want to reload then if you just a moment ago managed to beat the actuall boss and just needed to kill off the remaining low health mobs.

That said, i rarely save in battle, but i can see it to be a desired function for many who is stuck on a certain boss.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
I love it when I anticipate a particularly mind-numbingly blinkered comment before it's even uttered, and someone goes ahead and makes it anyway. Reread the post. The reaction to your post (Stabbey) starts about here:

'Some will no doubt say it's up to you to simply not save. But that's not the point.'

Aka, what you've mentioned is not the point. At all. Hopefully I don't have to go into detail here, but do please ask if you need further assistance.

Last edited by smokey; 02/10/16 10:45 PM.
S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
@Ludvig - unfortunately, the scenario you describe doesn't convince me. Because you're basically saying - I was clumsy and now I have to pay for my mistake. I'd rather not do that, and reload instead.

It's a good thing that events can go pear-shaped, as you described. It adds friction to the experience. It's a perfectly natural response to give in to temptation to circumvent that. But do you feel good about yourself after doing that? You'd feel far better, I think, if you won fairly, and you overcame your mistakes through persistence.

Think of it like chess. You don't get to save and reload in a strategy game like that, so why should you get to save and reload in a strategy game like this?

As a compromise, maybe it should be an option you select at the start of the game. A checkbox. Save games during battle - yes or no? The problem is, I'm only human (we all are), and we give in to temptation when it's available to us.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by smokey
I love it when I anticipate a particularly mind-numbingly blinkered comment before it's even uttered, and someone goes ahead and makes it anyway. Reread the post. The reaction to your post (Stabbey) starts about here:

'Some will no doubt say it's up to you to simply not save. But that's not the point.'

Aka, what you've mentioned is not the point. At all. Hopefully I don't have to go into detail here, but do please ask if you need further assistance.

I love this kind of useless threads.

Honour mode!

You are rude!

And not that clever!

Bet u didn't anticipate this.

Last edited by Testad; 02/10/16 10:51 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I never save during battle, last time I checked I was human.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
'I love this kind of useless threads', says someone who's apparently accusing me of being 'rude'. Do you do irony as well as 'u' do spelling/grammar, chief?

I can tell I've hit a nerve with this topic. That's a good thing, IMO. It's the essence of productive debate. But no one has yet provided a case for keeping saves during combat. What I've said - for those in want of a synopsis - is that it's the temptation that's the problem. Saying you never save during combat is not the point. We're all individual, so your sense of restraint is not the same as someone else's.

If you want your saves during combat, cool. I, however, don't want them. And I think the option to disable them is the best compromise to the issue. Yes/no checkbox at the start of the game, and we're done.

A
addict
addict
A
The problem with "you're only human" retort is that it places responsibility on the developer to make these decisions for a player and remove player control and options. At most, people might agree if those elements were important to gameplay or if the game was specifically intended for such (ie Dark Souls and difficulty) but thats not the case here.

A check box option at the start of each game is about the best compromise you're gonna get :P

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I think you working on your psychological issues could also be a solution :P.

But sure I am ok with larian adding it since (i guess) it wouldn't be difficult to do and it wouldn't detract from the game to have the option. (a not saving during combat option like you suggested).

Last edited by SacredDark; 02/10/16 11:08 PM.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by CharityDiary

I am pretty sure the TC's argument is he is ruining the game for himself and he can't help it, its not a case of being good or bad.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
When someone makes a smartass remark to something I say (case with Stabbey and Testad), they get a smartass response. You get what you give in this world. It's pretty easy to spot someone who's being reasonable from someone who's being antagonistic. If you disagree, simply say so and move on. That's what I do.

Either way, we're all adults, right? And I assume no one here's so thin-skinned that they can't take what they give.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T

If you want your saves during combat, cool. I, however, don't want them. And I think the option to disable them is the best compromise to the issue. Yes/no checkbox at the start of the game, and we're done.

Now you are my man! Simple, short, to the point!

When someone makes a smartass remark to something I say (case with Stabbey and Testad), they get a smartass response. You get what you give in this world. It's pretty easy to spot someone who's being reasonable from someone who's being antagonistic. If you disagree, simply say so and move on. That's what I do.

Either way, we're all adults, right? And I assume no one here's so thin-skinned that they can't take what they give.

..nope, not my man.

Last edited by Testad; 02/10/16 11:26 PM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
@Ludvig - unfortunately, the scenario you describe doesn't convince me. Because you're basically saying - I was clumsy and now I have to pay for my mistake. I'd rather not do that, and reload instead.

I think i phrased my argument poorly as what i meant is the opposite to how i believe you have interpret it.

I meant that sometimes people do a missclick that ruins all the progress you made in the battle, and rather then being frustrated over it so do some people prefer to just reload that moment and avoid starting the whole battle over again.

If it is a small encounter a missclick dont matter much, but if it is a fight you been struggling with and finally manage to take down the boss so can it be a real turn off if suddenly such a accident happens when you are just working on taking down the last trash mobs.

Also i am not really trying to convince you, just stating my own opinion on the matter, as i also said, i personally do not save in battles but i feel the option should be avaible for people.

As a compromise, maybe it should be an option you select at the start of the game. A checkbox. Save games during battle - yes or no? The problem is, I'm only human (we all are), and we give in to temptation when it's available to us.

That am i never against, the more options the better.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
I'm distraught to discover that I'm seemingly not your man, Testad. That's sad to hear, but peace all the same.

@Ludvig - I hear what you're saying, but still remain unconvinced (this is just my opinion too, and for the record, I wasn't expecting you to convince me of anything). I can't think of many battle scenarios where there are neutral characters that could be agro'd by a mistake by the user (usually, the battles are self-contained affairs, and everyone's an enemy), but if there were innocents around and you were careless, I still think you should be punished for that, and should be challenged to clean up accordingly.

This is just my preference. I don't expect it to be everyone else's preference, and that's why I'm advocating options to toggle various aspects of the game on and off. I'm all for a democratic approach to building out the game experience. I would never suggest forcing one rule or another on players, but would definitely like the option of forcing them on myself for the fun of it.

Last edited by smokey; 02/10/16 11:51 PM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Then i think we both are in a agreement smokey, you want a way to toggle off saves in combat, and i am all for more options how to play the game, so i will not object, my objection at start was because i got the impression you wanted the save option removed abroad when in combat.

A
addict
addict
A
I did find you're description of the most OP Skill in the game hilarious ;P

veteran
veteran

you're dumb

hope that clears things up

let me know if you need more help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard