Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
Your above response (I'm referring to the aptly named Stabbey) clears up everything I suspected about you: thanks for that. It's not like I had my doubts, but it's sometimes nice to have such concrete validation.

@aj0413 - I aim to amuse, if nothing else...

Last edited by smokey; 03/10/16 12:37 AM.
S
S
Three options:

No saving in battle. No hand holding.
Autosaves before battles / dungeon entrances but not saving in battle
Save anytime

Honestly I have maybe saved/reloaded 3 times in all of D:OS and EE in a battle and I play Co-op with a non gamer. I've had to reload from 20-30 minute before a battle.....
Because for some the option is there and they dont use it, and others the option is there and they use it all the time, and for me the option is there but I'm too busy chatting/adventuring/immersing to remember to save.

So I'd like the game to autosave more, but could care less about saving in battle.
Can we get an autosave everytime combat is entered option too please?

I would endorse changing it so that you cannot save the game while in combat.

This could also help prevent some inescapable save game states (where you get into a state where you cannot win or progress and thus screw your whole game).

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
No saving in combat in classic mode. I actually never tried cause I thought you couldn't.

Originally Posted by Fyrestorme

Honestly, who gives a fluff? If someone wants to save, let them fluffing save. It's not affecting your game. No need to ruin the experience for others.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
The case is as people have pointed out that honor mode will be in the game. Play honor mode. I know I will, its a fun way to beat the game.

Not all people like to play that way, why should Larian force everyone to play the game this way when they can just have two different modes just like in the last game?
(modes that were going to be implemented in the game even if you had never started this thread.)

R
stranger
stranger
R
I'm sorry, but I don't understand you @smokey. I'm trying to feel sympathy and some of the more toxic people in this thread have no ground to just flat out be rude. But I also don't support your suggestion at all. I'm open for what others have proposed with an additional option at the start of the game but even that is something I don't even see as being necessary... If you want to have a feeling of integrity and sticking to the flow of the battle then don't use the F5 key or even better, don't go out of your way to do several clicks to save during combat. We're currently in the best situation where it's possible to do so, but not necessary, it's not like they balance the fights with having a combat-save feature in mind. Just stick to your guns, have some integrity and play how you want to play it which is currently perfectly viable and possible, with a bit of discipline.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Or

and I know this is just a totally wild, off the wall concept here

you could just exercise some self-control and choose to not save in combat. Like I do.

Pretty much. I'm always a bit perplexed when I see comments about forcibly removing certain features with the justification of "no hand-holding", though I guess I'm more curious about why anyone would concern themselves so much with others' style of gameplay. It's been a thing ever since I've been playing RPGs, though.

Personally, I'll F5 as much as I want because I suck at combat and I play for the adventure and overall experience. I get rather exasperated when it's taken away from me.

J'aime le fromage.
Originally Posted by CharityDiary

Honestly, who gives a fluff? If someone wants to save, let them fluffing save. It's not affecting your game. No need to ruin the experience for others.

Eventually, after release, someone is inevitably going to save during a fight they can't win (either intentionally or accidentally) and not be able to get out of that situation and they will have to start their playthrough over from the beginning in order to progress. At that point they will no doubt come to these forums to express their frustration and outrage, saying things like "DIDN'T ANYONE TEST THIS?! WTF??"

and you know what? I'm going to point them to your above quoted post. This, dear frustrated user, is why you have to throw away 10-12 hours of your game and do everything over from the beginning - because we didn't want to "ruin the experience for others"...

Last edited by Fyrestorme; 03/10/16 08:05 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It keeps five quicksaves by default, plus autosaves plus permanent saves. I doubt many people will experience that particular scenario, and certainly fewer than would be inconvenienced by artificial restrictions on saving.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This thread is so good.
Do keep go on please...

/me grabs popcorn

Asking for devs to make something to control the way you play the game. I feel like being at work with inane requests from clients...

And yeah Dude, go all the way, Honour mode, either you're in or you're out, being in the middle ground here is just stupid. If you care enough to make a thread out of it, just grow a pair, and play the real game you want to.

old hand
old hand
I hate posts like this one since there is nothing that forces you to save or load a save game during periods you feel it is inappropriate. This sort of thing dictates how others should play which is why i dislike them (same for chest farming and numerous other things). The fact that I do or do not do these things is not relevant; there is no reason why you (or I) should insist on changes for voluntary actions that do not impact us if we choose to not utilize them.
-
Now if you are suggesting that you do these things and spoil your own gaming experience because you have no self control then I suppose asking Larian to assist with your lack of control via some sort of option but I see nothing in the discussion that is addressing you personal in-ability to refrain from doing things that spoil your gaming experience.

Originally Posted by smokey
It's the most powerful spell in the game, but you won't find it in the skill tree - it's called 'save game'. You know where I'm coming from - you're in the middle of one of the most challenging battles, and you've one character left standing: the remaining enemy's health is as low as yours. It's either you or him, but the ball's in your court. The tension is building - all your hard work, all the careful strategy, and now's the time to roll the dice.

What if you miss?

Well, fear not: save game is here to save the day. You open the menu screen, and you hit save. If your luck runs out, you hit 'load game', and you can start again at the same point in time. Crisis averted. You can even do it as many times as you want.

There needs to be some rule around saving games during battle, in other words. To be honest, battles in D:OS are brief enough that making it impossible to save games during a fight wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. But failing that, I think there should be a cooldown on being allowed to save during battle. Like every 3 rounds, it lets you save.

Some will no doubt say it's up to you to simply not save. But that's not the point. Tension is entertainment. And you can't create tension if you know the save & reload feature is always there to save your ass. It's about the psychology behind it: it's about outright denying you this cheap tactic. You can never give in to temptation, because you're never tempted in the first place.

I think it should be removed completely during combat, and you'd feel far more rewarded for having finished a particularly tough battle, knowing you didn't have the biggest superpower cheat in the game to fall back on.

addict
addict
Or

you could just exercise some self-control and choose to not save in combat. Like I do.

I can stand behind this, Larian did not make the game to punish players. They made it for the enjoyment of players. If someone wants to save before a battle or NPC interaction that is on them.. if you don't like it, don't do it ^_^

Maybe they can add in a check in options to disable saves for people who can't control themselves.

veteran
veteran
and you know what? I'm going to point them to your above quoted post. This, dear frustrated user, is why you have to throw away 10-12 hours of your game and do everything over from the beginning - because we didn't want to "ruin the experience for others"...

Sometimes people come onto forums for games and go "OMG I saved at the wrong time! Can someone fix?!!" And it turns out that said people insist on using only one save and overwriting it, no matter how generous the save system is.

This game has autosaves which are usually placed before combat encounters, and five quicksaves.

(Also you can always sucessfully flee from a fight if you can get 3 meters away from an enemy.)

If people are going to insist on only using one save slot (or knowingly and willingly playing on Honor mode), they lose their right to complain when they make a mistake.

I never save in combat (unless I'm trying to test something), I wouldn't even be affected if people were not allowed to save in combat. If I get wiped out or just do terribly, I start over from scratch. But I do not care if others do want to save during combat.

The possibility to save does not remove the tension from an encounter if you can resist the urge to save. Being incapable of resisting is not my problem, nor do I find that argument convincing. Being unable to resist the temptation to save during fighting is not a flaw with the game, but with one's self-control.

well if the game continues to keep all those redundant saves post launch, then I guess I don't see an issue with it...

but I have seen this very thing happen in several other games, and for various reasons.. just sayin'

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by vometia

Pretty much. I'm always a bit perplexed when I see comments about forcibly removing certain features with the justification of "no hand-holding", though I guess I'm more curious about why anyone would concern themselves so much with others' style of gameplay. It's been a thing ever since I've been playing RPGs, though.

Personally, I'll F5 as much as I want because I suck at combat and I play for the adventure and overall experience. I get rather exasperated when it's taken away from me.

There you go, displaying what others consider a weakness and proving it to be a strength. Your negato-norma-positivity has them so triggered right now and they are too swept up in the pure bright rage burning in the pointlessness of their own arguments to type anything.

Suffice to say, I think you nailed it.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
This thread might be misplaced to begin with because the game itself doesn't give you any penalties for dying.
Either it's a partywipe and you lose, or you... just revive.
I mean sure you lose a couple of coins for scrolls possibly but seriously.

It's either death+loss or death+no consequence, so save is not an important "spell" at all, generally.

And if some loser wants to save/reload 50 times in a combat encounter in order for his alpha-strike to work, well, he's an loser. Why do you care. He's already lost :P

Last edited by Lightzy; 03/10/16 10:23 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lightzy
This thread might be misplaced to begin with because the game itself doesn't give you any penalties for dying.
Either it's a partywipe and you lose, or you... just revive.
I mean sure you lose a couple of coins for scrolls possibly but seriously.

It's either death+loss or death+no consequence, so save is not an important "spell" at all, generally.

And if some loser wants to save/reload 50 times in a combat encounter in order for his alpha-strike to work, well, he's an loser. Why do you care. He's already lost :P

that is actually kind of rude to post, I bought the game and so did my friend. So because we save before a battle or npc interaction.. if things go wrong and we reload. You are saying we are losers..Sometimes fights go bad and you have to redo it, revive scrolls are not cheap. We are playing on Classic mode and money and Xp are scares so we have been level 2 facing level 3-5s with us in rags.

sounds like egos are clouding game functionality. Self control should be used by those "eliteists" who wish to force their playstyle on others, because they are to tempted by save and load to control themselves.

*drops her two cents into the jar*
The game is being made for then just one small group of players. It should be welcoming to all types of players to maximize sales.. more sales = more game support and more games from Larian.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by vometia
Or

I wish these forums had a like function so I could like this post.

A
addict
addict
A
Mah, I'm save scumming scum ;P I also chest save scum and will save and experiment wit crafting and reload so I don't wast materials or save scum to make that unlock scroll or save scum to try out the different dialogue options cause of traits and xp.

I also like to do things like save and then fight all the level 6 orcs on the beach at level 2. And then I'll save at stages of combat as I navigate the hellish difficulty of that fight. I had to literally get every little action, grenade CC chance, and so on perfect to win over the course of 30min-hour+

Saving can make things easier, but that can simply be handled by ramping up difficulty honestly. A difficulty curve like the above example isn't made trivial by save scumming in combat....it's made possible.

Hell, if I can figure out how to get away with it I'd love to try initializing combat with all the high level characters around that one lizard thats killed when you first go into Fort Joy. I've tried a few times, but the initiative order is an issue.

well if the game continues to keep all those redundant saves post launch, then I guess I don't see an issue with it...

but I have seen this very thing happen in several other games, and for various reasons.. just sayin'

At they'll definitely be their. They were in both versions of the past game as well. It's to keep incidents exactly like the one you brought up from happening. Allows players to always have fallbacks.

There's always options on how many back ups saves you allow and honour mode for those that really have issues with them being there though.

Actually, all those saves was part of the reason I was glad for the profile system. Lets you organize your saves and play throughs by profile. I normally name mine after which kind of character(s)/playthrough I plan to do.

Last edited by aj0413; 04/10/16 01:16 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard