Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Baardvark
One way to tone down hard-cc would be to make them give decent bonuses. I'm not sure if this is the case already (as was in D:OS1), but being frozen could give you a boost in armor and resistance to slashing, for example. Knocked Down characters should be harder to hit with ranged attacks. That sort of thing. I don't know if that would make much of a difference, but it'd be start, and you'd have to think about how your CC synergizes with your whole party more.

That's thinking in the right direction here, IMO.
Totally agree on these points.

journeyman
journeyman
It's the poor man's solution but I agree that it would still be a step in the right direction. At least it would add a tactical element to which CC you use instead of them only being differentiated by how they look. Freezing an enemy might be more about taking them out of the fight and nothing else since hitting them with a 50% damage reduction wouldn't be worth it, for example.

veteran
veteran
Some CC in D:OS 1 gave victims stuff like far more armor, not sure if it was petrify or frozen. Most just gave 100% hit chance and just disabled target. This you don't get here and even wands don't have 100% hit chance anymore.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
So now we have hashed out a lot of this we need to start compiling what we have talked about. In terms of what you hate in CC and what you suggest to change it. I for one am not to great on what should be changed in regards to this but my major gripes are as follows.

- Most fights revolve around mitigating CC turning a fight into, in this case, hp stacking. Squishies get the finger.
- Sole purpose of Armor is to stop CC and they just become additional health pools, not mitigating dmg etc. just giving you more hp
- The absurd CC chaining once armor vanishes to permanently CC you till death

Would like to compile everything wrong with the CC for the main post.

edit: direct all fixes to the cc replacement thread

Last edited by DontTouchMyHoHos; 23/10/16 10:35 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by DontTouchMyHoHos
So now we have hashed out a lot of this we need to start compiling what we have talked about. In terms of what you hate in CC and what you suggest to change it. I for one am not to great on what should be changed in regards to this but my major gripes are as follows.

- Most fights revolve around mitigating CC turning a fight into, in this case, hp stacking. Squishies get the finger.
- Sole purpose of Armor is to stop CC and they just become additional health pools, not mitigating dmg etc. just giving you more hp
- The absurd CC chaining once armor vanishes to permanently CC you till death

I want to compile all of the ideas for fixes and what is hated for my first post to make it easier to for new people to jump into the thread instead of skimming 4 pages.

We should generally avoid compiling ideas and try to agree on one, it's hard for the devs to look at a list of ideas where everyone wants theirs to succeed and then put one of those into the game. Also, I feel that cc is an easily solved problem and I've gone over it in my mega list so u guys should leave da compiling to me.

Jokes aside I'd really like it if anyone interested would read my list and what I wrote about cc and give me your opinion, like I said it's better if we all agree on one idea and I don't think mine is perfect so it'd be nice if we could talk about it.

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 11:51 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Baardvark
I dislike hard CC as well, and would much prefer that disables heavily limit your options, but you still have some choice. Like, knocked down characters could still crawl around or attack with extremely heavy disadvantages. But, considering the animations and balancing already done, I imagine hard CC is here to stay.

They're still making new animations and polishing the older ones, so that much doesn't seem to be a problem.

As far as the idea itself goes, I have made a thread on the matter, and it would be great to keep that discussion there, since that's basically where all the best solutions go eventually.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Yea, this is about what is wrong with CC. He has a thread about how to make it better.

X
stranger
stranger
X
After finishing DOS2 EA twice I am also going to agree that CC is probably the most decisive factor in battles, almost like DOS1. I believe a way to tone down CC and make things more interesting would be to bring back Bodybuilding and Willpower saves with the following rule:

Take an Aerotheurge / Stun spell for example.
CC only succeeds if:
Aerotheurge level of caster > Willpower (or Bodybuilding) of spell target.

For Hydrosophist / Freeze spells it would be:
CC only succeeds if:
Hydrosophist level of caster > Bodybuilding (or Willpower) of spell target.

And so on for Geomancer / Petrify etc.
Such a rule opens a lot of possibilities and variation in battles. Also character development becomes more challenging.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard