Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I guess the biggest issue is, like you said, the COMPLETE lack of a build path for dual wielding. Scoundrel encourages single daggers for optimal damage and butt poking, while Warfare heavily encourages massive, bulky weapons that only Thor himself could logically lift.

While I know we'll never get it: A Berserker Tree. Take a few from Warfare and make a rage-based, all-in build path that rewards diving enemy lines like an idiot.

Warfare should be disciplined and focused damage. Right now it's just a chaotic mess. Give Dual Wielding a viable path and make Warfare more logical.

And honestly, just make Single Wielding have some other benefit and still cost 2 AP. For exaple: If you only have 1 weapon and no offhand, you start the turn with 1 extra AP, up from 4.

I'm not sure more ap for single handing is a good idea but im not really sure so idk.

but either way the basic attacks shouldnt be a source of heavy damage, and should always feel inferior to using actual moves. if a rogue is just sitting in melee range slapping you that should be incredibly high risk for him that would be punished by him getting murdered and dealing no damage since he's using a weak basic attack. waiting in the shadows for a real move with actual risk to come up, or for a good chance to go in and get a back stab basic attack, should always outweigh the benefits of just charging in swinging, and less actions per turn would help towards that.

...Dual wielding did exist in real life. The rpg version of two swords wasn't very common (sword and dagger was the go-to dual wielding combination) but it was sometimes done by skilled fighters.

If we were to take queues from real life though, one handed with no offhand with be accurate at the expense of damage, mainhand and shield would be defensive at the cost of accuracy, dual wielding would have consistency problems (both, one, or none of your attacks may connect), and two handers would hit hard and have long reach at the expense of being slow (so more AP I suppose)

ah yeah sorry i kind of misspoke it's more like it was never popular or more effective than not dual wielding in real life

and those are good ideas always good to base things in reality

You're probably right, but do you have a source on why we wont be getting any non magic trees? Because giving warfare more variety would be great, and could allow for interesting combinations with how weapons typically perform. Something like beserker and duelist trees would make melee almost as complex as magic.

we really need these, and his source is that Larian heavily favors magic for whatever reason and leaves the other trees in the dust.

from my list below

51 there are five ability trees that scale with int and have relatively negligible effects on the skills they govern other than allowing you to use them. the same goes for the other ability trees, one for archery, one for rogues, and one for warriors. theres nothing stopping wizards from taking any number of the 5 trees and learning any combo of spells, the memory helps limit but the finesse and strength users are just as limited by memory without having the same disgustingly large pool of choices that int users enjoy. this system is so heavily in favor of magic its sickening, if any semblance of balance is going to be achieved the huntsman, scoundrel, and warfare trees either need five times the skills or there needs to be 3 more finesse trees and 4 more strength trees, or some kind of limit on how many trees one character can pick from in each stat because wizards just have way too much versatility.

Last edited by chocolate; 21/10/16 12:31 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Larian already basically stated they don't intend to add anything more than what was promised in the Kickstarter. And that is 2 more magic trees.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Larian already basically stated they don't intend to add anything more than what was promised in the Kickstarter. And that is 2 more magic trees.

oh god dont make me throw up lol

Last edited by chocolate; 21/10/16 01:00 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
At least ONE of the magical trees they plan to add sounds fun. It's a summoner. It's basically mageception. You summon more mages!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by chocolate
p.s. i had to make a new post so i could link to the post from other things (reddit) because the topic getting moved screwed up linking to the post, so just let the other one die

J'aime le fromage.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard