Next Thread
Print Thread
#594294 22/10/16 12:39 PM
Lynoa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hey smile

I was looking for a way to find out what kind of avatar/portret I may use. Since I tried many forums, google and so on, I was wondering if we are allowed to take pictures as avatars from games. The first thing that popped into my mind is baldurs gate. Are there any for Divinity original sin2? would like to update my profile with some game picture. (I hope I wrote it so you understand what I mean think evil

Lynoa #594306 22/10/16 02:39 PM
Support
Support

There aren't any specific guidelines on avatars; lots of people use game related images (mine is from a Crystal Eyes CD cover). No D:OS 2 avatars have been added to the forum yet (check under My Stuff, Edit Profile, then the avatar section at the bottom, for what is available). You could crop and resize a screenshot or artwork to within 120x120 resolution, if you can host it somewhere that allows hotlinking (linking directly to an image, or other file, from a different website; if your ISP provides webspace, that should work). Otherwise there are sites with various avatars that you can use.

Lynoa #594310 22/10/16 04:08 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I would recommend pictures of cheese as a portrait, because cheese is awesome. Either that or a really bleached out webcam picture. D:

Whatever you choose, make sure you're allowed to use it, and it's best to host it on your own Imgur/whatevs account as deep linking to someone else's site is generally considered Bad Formâ„¢.

J'aime le fromage.
Lynoa #594331 22/10/16 08:55 PM
Lynoa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok thx a lot. Yea especially the thing about : make sure you're allowed to use it... thats my main problem since if I take something from google, I never know if it is ok or not.
but thx for telling me.

why do I have to "host" it, why can't I just take it from my pc?

Lynoa #594332 22/10/16 09:12 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Use sites like Wikimedia where it says whether or not it's available for use; though I think specifically just don't use someone else's personal stuff really.

You'll need to have the picture available online somewhere as the forum doesn't support avatar uploading (I think: I may be wrong, but I didn't see that option when I just checked) so it'll need to be hosted somewhere accessible from the interweb at large. Last I looked, Imgur was still a popular option for that sort of thing. The main thing is not to link to someone else's website as it can eat into their bandwidth allowance; and since its their site they can change the picture without your knowledge (I'm aware of some, erm, "hilarious" examples of that happening in order to prove a point!)

J'aime le fromage.
Lynoa #594370 23/10/16 09:05 AM
Lynoa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thy for the explanation smile
Ill check wikimedia and when I finally find a picture, I'll try Imgur. Thx a lot!!!

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard