Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
If you leave combat by killing the last enemy while you are standing in a fire(or other effects) the turns get "accelerated" a a rate of several turns per second. The result of this is that even though you are happily healing through during combat and are about to cast rain to put the fire out, you die before you can even click by taking multiple turns of damage very quickly.

I suggest either maintaining combat while effects are damaging players, or not accelerating the "turn rate" to real time until damage stops being taken

(edited for clarity)

Last edited by Cryostriker; 01/11/16 03:25 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
That's honestly a sticky slope. If you apply that to all situations, some effects and areas won't work as intended. In addition, you should be penalized for ending your turn in fire/poison/cursed. We have more than enough CC/Stuns to keep combat going basically forever. If you're rushing through combat when you have other options, you're accepting the consequences that come after that.

That and all characters should carry Phoenix Dive in the current version of the game. 1 point of Warfare for a teleport that also negates the ridiculously prevalent fire ground effects is way too strong to not have.

Last edited by Fluffington; 31/10/16 02:19 PM.
veteran
veteran
You probably shouldn't change the way time works, but no all characters should NOT feel obligated to carry Phoenix Dive or other min-maxing spells.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What I'd really like to see is the option to Pause time and issue commands when out of combat. This would allow the player to attempt to heal through after-combat damageing effects remaining, and would also make it easier for a single player to manage a party with more fine-detail pre-combat.

Originally Posted by Fluffington

That and all characters should carry Phoenix Dive in the current version of the game. 1 point of Warfare for a teleport that also negates the ridiculously prevalent fire ground effects is way too strong to not have.

I agree that all characters get a big benefit from having a teleport, but I don't think it should always be Phoenix Dive.
My ranged characters use mostly Tactical Retreat to get high ground and kite enemies, and aren't left standing in Fire on the turn after the Fire Immunity wears off. The haste from TR can be nice too.
And Cloak and Dagger is a great choice for a sneaky melee character to get the first attack off before getting pulled into combat, or just to more easily avoid a fight entirely.

Last edited by error3; 31/10/16 08:15 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
<snip>

You don't seem to understand the issue, so let me better explain.

Non-permanent surfaces accelerate their effects(including damage) in order to disappear faster. That means that outside of actual combat, you'll take 3-4 turns worth of 'standing in fire' damage(on top of also actually burning), in the time a single regeneration effect takes to activate.

You do not get to move all your dudes at once, and you do not get to decide when a fight is actually over, so unless both of those things happen, harmful surfaces should have a time/distance based cooldown on applying their effects equal to the rate at which once-per-turn effects such as regeneration healing occur.

That is to say: if a surface is meant to disappear faster after a fight, it should do so by having turns taken away from it's duration, rather than by having multiple turns in a single turn's timeframe.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Naqel
<snip>

You don't seem to understand the issue, so let me better explain.

Non-permanent surfaces accelerate their effects(including damage) in order to disappear faster. That means that outside of actual combat, you'll take 3-4 turns worth of 'standing in fire' damage(on top of also actually burning), in the time a single regeneration effect takes to activate.

You do not get to move all your dudes at once, and you do not get to decide when a fight is actually over, so unless both of those things happen, harmful surfaces should have a time/distance based cooldown on applying their effects equal to the rate at which once-per-turn effects such as regeneration healing occur.

That is to say: if a surface is meant to disappear faster after a fight, it should do so by having turns taken away from it's duration, rather than by having multiple turns in a single turn's timeframe.

That is exactly it, I should have worded it better upon reflection.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
It would be very easy to look at all effects and determine if any player character is still under the influence of them in any way and if the result would damage the player then simply don't drop combat yet. This way you simply have to heal through or remove yourself from danger in order to be safe after a combat. Basically combat could still be a thrill and a challenge after the fact if you are very close to dying, even if there are no enemies left. After all in this game the environment is also often your enemy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why not just go a step further and automatically heal your party (including status effects) and cast a small remove surface nova? I think I have lost more party members in the first game to real time dmg than to actual combat.

veteran
veteran
After a certain point I noticed that the game sometimes casts Bless under your party after a fight ends which heals you up if you're not a zombie.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I've noticed that too - wonder what's up with it. I usually got them in situations where I'd used a ton of healing, in the toughest battles like that voidling ambush.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you missed it each time, when you get the blessed surfaces, there's a voice talking (you can't hear it, of course, but there's floating text that lasts, like, 2 seconds). Your party members will often comment on it, as well. It doesn't happen after each fight, or randomly, but rather after specific fights.

veteran
veteran
Doesn't it only happen after fighting void creatures?

journeyman
journeyman
I noticed the Bless effect only after fighting voidwoken but I tend to cast bless on the fire surface just before end of combat anyway.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
What I'd really like to see is the option to Pause time and issue commands when out of combat.

so much this.

when I hit the master pause button... I expect the game to actually, you know... PAUSE.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm assuming the lack-of-pause thing is because of its dual SP/MP remit, but I'd also like the game to pause when I'd like it to pause. Then again, I'd also like games to not use 100% CPU/GPU when I'm alt-tabbed but most modern ones do.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
I'm assuming the lack-of-pause thing is because of its dual SP/MP remit

That isn't even an excuse anymore. You can pause in Starcraft II multiplayer. There, they handle that by allowing any player to unpause the game at any time.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I never understood Larian's argument that they can't allow pausing because of MB. What do you call turn-based combat? That works fine in MB because there are TB "zones" while the rest of the world/map remains real-time. Instead of "pausing", force a turn-base zone with currently selected character having first initiative. Also, once all foe are eliminated, remain in TB until player chooses to leave.

There, fixed problems with burning after combat and not being able to click on those tiny rats.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Noinert
I never understood Larian's argument that they can't allow pausing because of MB. What do you call turn-based combat? That works fine in MB because there are TB "zones" while the rest of the world/map remains real-time. Instead of "pausing", force a turn-base zone with currently selected character having first initiative. Also, once all foe are eliminated, remain in TB until player chooses to leave.

There, fixed problems with burning after combat and not being able to click on those tiny rats.

My solution is simpler.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by vometia
I'm assuming the lack-of-pause thing is because of its dual SP/MP remit, but I'd also like the game to pause when I'd like it to pause. Then again, I'd also like games to not use 100% CPU/GPU when I'm alt-tabbed but most modern ones do.

FWIW, the games I have found that do this, tend to behave much better if you put them in windowed-full screen instead of exclusive full screen.

I think it's called "fake fullscreen" or something like that in the options for DOS2.

it cuts down cpu utilization by 20% on my machine if you take the game out of exclusive fullscreen mode.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard