Print Thread
#595999 28/11/16 06:20 PM
D
Data3 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
So I don't know if Larion studios looks at this thing or not, or how one would get in touch with them, but I figure I'll put this here so that it's out there.

I loved, absolutely loved, Dragon Commander. Every aspect about the game just blew my mind, I adored it.

The RPG elements to it were fantastic, the RTS side of it was the main draw for me, but then the Tactical overmap, the use of cards as modifiers to a battle, the overall strategic thinking that went into it. By god the whole thing fit together so well that I just plain loved it. Out of the entirety the only issue I had was that the story was so short.

Then I found out about all the stuff that was cut from the game, and I fell in love all over again.

Now I understand that DOS and DOS 2 were the reasons funding for DDC was cut, but now that those games are complete, I was thinking of starting a petition, maybe even a fundraiser, to get Larian Studios to make another Divinity dragon commander, this time with all the bells and whistles that they couldn't put in last time.

From everything I've heard about the cut content, and with my own past experiences with their games, I simply love Larian studios and their ability to create true games, that is games that fulfill the original point and purpose to a game, entertainment.

So, like I said, I'll just leave this here while I go organize that petition and wait for my emails to be answered.

Support
Support

While no decisions have been made about what to do once D:OS 2 and another project (using the same engine and mechanics, with updates) are done, a followup to Dragon Commander has been requested quite a bit (same for Divinity 2).

B
stranger
stranger
B
Another Dragon Commander would be cool, but what I would really like to see is a game like Original Sin, but set during the magitek punk era of Dragon Commander.
I have always preferred more original visually distinct world scenarios in RPGs like that over the straight up familiar medieval fantasy that the majority of Divinity games and traditional CRPGs on the whole almost ubiquitously tread.
Nobody has really done anything with an original setting like Dragon Commander in turn based RPG form (outside of the Japanese) since Black Isle Studios was thrown under the bus by Interplay, and Troika Games shrived up and died more then a decade ago.

Having a Divinity RPG with an industrial revolution setting like the brilliant but forgotten Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura would be amazing.

veteran
veteran
Are there even enough people at Larian interested in doing another RTS game?

There's no chance for a remastered Dragon Commander 1. The time for switching some people to improve Dragon Commander was back in July/August/September 2014 and that didn't happen.

Any theoretical Dragon Commander 2 should go back and read my posts on page 1 and 2 of the forum about all the problems which could have and should have been fixed with Dragon Commander 1. Additionally, if DC2 were to have sea-only units, than the engine MUST, MUST, as in NON-OPTIONALLY be rewritten to allow for BRIDGES which allow for land-only units to pass above and sea-only units to pass below. The lack of bridges made too many maps not useful for naval units.

And annoyingly, re-reading those has put more random and worthless thoughts into my brain. I am posting those solely to get out of my head.

- Karthan's Capital in Act II should have been on the southeast islands, not literally right beside the player's capital (total boneheaded decision).

- The different AI's of the siblings should have focused on different aspects and had different faction buffs: Karthan has a strong navy and good air force but less effective ground units, one of the other siblings focuses on lots of cheap and fast units, the other on expensive but more powerful units to make fighting the factions feel different.
Possibly it could have been accomplished by giving each faction discounts and penalties to the gold cost of building units so that Karthan's naval units get a 2 gold discount, his air units get a 1-gold discount and his land units get a 1-2 gold price increase. The Cheaper units sibling gets 2 cheap units for the price/build points of one, but more powerful units cost extra gold. Etc.

- Some kind of upkeep tax was needed to reduce the power of huge giant armies Maybe a Supply building on the strategy map

- Enemy Air and Sea units should be able to do something disruptive to you when they are on your territory.

- Falcon's Rocks RTS map should not have had the central path. Instead it should have had one huge lake in the middle with a central island full of Resource Control points (3-5). Shipyards accessible from each of the corner bases. Thus taking what was a map with no use for naval units into one which they became quite valuable. The central island's valuable resource node becomes a critical focal point for battles and the water lets you ship units anywhere.

- Map 3/Ravens Realm was awful for so many reasons. First no stupid land bridge should have appeared to magically connect an island to another island. Terrible. Secondly, the second island was a straight line straight to the enemy capital so it was a matter of making an army deathball and pushing it forward, the bigger army wins. No chance of any flanks or alternate routes. Third, if there was going to be an enemy capital, instead of "destroy all enemy army units on the strategy map", it should have been on the northern islands, because they were otherwise completely useless.

Good now I never have to think about this again.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard