Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#602315 15/04/17 07:41 PM
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Dear Larians!

You have made up such a wonderfull world that I again and again love to explore.
It just grieves me that I just cant find a map that shows your whole world!
I wanna know where in the world fort joy and all the other places like hunters edge or cyseal etc.. are located.

I assume there isn't an official worldmap public. Please show us fans how it looks!

Last edited by vometia; 20/04/17 10:47 AM. Reason: changed title at request of OP
veteran
veteran
I don't get the impression that they have one.

old hand
old hand
Saw someone say they don't want a world map for fear of limiting the design of future games. That seems like a weak excuse to me though. Plenty of ways to make portals to travel from area to area if that's a concern. Makes Rivellon seem less concrete.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I did try to figure out where things were in relation to Divine Divinity and Ego Draconis since there's at least Aleroth in common, until I heard that the geography had changed somewhat because of whatever unpleasantness ensued in the intervening time. Or something.

So yeah, as the others say, it doesn't seem there is one.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Saw someone say they don't want a world map for fear of limiting the design of future games.

That's pretty much the exact same thing Terry Pratchett said about Discworld. And then he made a map and discovered that wasn't the case at all.

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well if they have none......
I am a pretty skilled cartographer myself! Shall we work on a fanbased map?

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I think that a good point to start is to make a list of all known/heard of places.
I am pretty sure that I don't know all the places, so if you folks wanna join me with this I would be very grateful!^^

Here is an example of how it could look:

(Divine Divinity map based)
Aleroth:
Since it is the very first location you get to know in Divine Divinity, I would make this the centre of the map
Flussheim (is it the same in english?:
Capitalcity of the duchy Ferol, located south-east to the Aleroth surroundings
Teneb Tiriel:
Forested region in the south of Ferol
Yuthol Gor:
Wasteland region. Lays east to Ferol and Teneb Tiriel
Tanoroth:
Mountain range to the west of Aleroth and Ferol
Verdistis:
Big city in the north of Ferol

etc....
you know what I mean^^

EDIT:
I took a few minutes to sketch out a very rough image of some stuff that I know. Have a look here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/18vjmhruwrhv0qn/Sketch.png?dl=0

Last edited by RenWex; 16/04/17 09:42 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
That looks like a reasonable start to me, and is similar to what I concluded a while back. I'd assumed that the mountain range west of Aleroth became the coastline during the chaos after the time of DD, although I'm slightly questioning that as the Orobas Fjords seem like they're probably older than that. But it is similar to my own assumptions from a few months back:

[Linked Image]

Luculla might be a bit of a stretch and it may be nowhere in the vicinity, I was just hazarding a guess...

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yeah I would also locate Luculla around that place but not based on any knowledge.

I know that yuthul gor has a coastline, because sailors in OS speak of never sailing to yuthul gor anymore.

So Luculla Forest and Cyseal woud fit into that area pretty well

I made a new sketch with terrain:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcb0cstjoyyy4rk/Sketch2.png?dl=0

Last edited by RenWex; 16/04/17 10:34 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think the only slight spanner in the works is that I'm sure I recall Cyseal being described as an island; but then again, things like peninsulas and other knobbly bits are often described as such, so it still works for me.

The main challenge seems to be the uncertainty surrounding the permanence of Rivellon's landscape, though I suspect that's a convenient story element and one I'd be happier to ignore if at all possible!

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Cyseal lays on a peninsula? Okay, thats noted for later terrain definition
I think that it isn't an island for you have access to luculla from which you can enter the dark forest (teneb tiriel isn't it?) If that is true cyseal must be a city on the mainland.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm not sure, that was just me hypothesising out loud! Though it seems plausible judging by (potentially) various comments and from the map itself: there seems to be coastline around most of it except for where it meets Luculla to the north. It's not certain of the dark forest and Teneb Tiriel are one and the same, again that's just hypothesis, though I personally think it's a fairly compelling idea.

I guess it really depends on whether or not Larian view our adventures on Rivellon as taking place in one cohesive area or whether they're only tangentially connected facets that could be geographically distributed all over the world. Since a lot of what we see is quite ancient (even D:OS being pretty ancient history compared to much of the rest of Divinity has its own ancient ruins and legends) there's a reasonable case for the latter, but I prefer the idea of a smaller, more easily mappable region.

Of course D:OS2 brings in a whole bunch of entirely new regions which could be absolutely anywhere. Part of me thinks Fort Joy could be near Sentinel Island but then again it could just as easily be on the other side of the world. My (possibly incorrect) impression is that they may focus more on game lore this time around, but whether or not that will include any commitment to Rivellon's geography is anyone's guess. Doesn't stop us speculating, though, in which case I've decided that Fort Joy is part of the same archipelago that includes Sentinel Island. So there. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
You would put Fort Joy near Sentinel Island? That would fit just fine, although I see that Island more in the south, for the tropical feeling it gives me.

And then there is Arx, a bigger City that is mentioned in a Vlog of Larian. (Meet our new stats system).
I would believe that the party takes the ship to that city in Act II for a big city would make sense to go after getting off that remote Island.

I would go that far and say that Arx is located north of Fort Joy since the map designers decided to put that exiting Harbour with the Alexander Showdown facing north of the Island (This gives the Player the feeling of heading north.

Last edited by RenWex; 16/04/17 03:16 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I hadn't noticed the tropical aspect: interesting how different people get different impressions! If anything I thought Sentinel Island was more hot and desert-like, whereas Fort Joy felt to me more like a sort rainy part of northern England. Which is probably not very imaginative of me since that's where I'm from.

You may be right about the harbour, but on the other hand it seems it is the only useful harbour on the whole island: the only other harbour is also on the north side next to the fort itself, and judging by the number of wrecks it doesn't seem especially safe... so I'd hazard a guess it's not necessarily indicative of the direction of sea traffic, but it may be.

One thing that does occur to me is that in Ego Draconis, there's no port or coastal town shown in the Fjords but there probably would be one somewhere, I would guess more likely to the south as the north looks to me to be increasingly impassable: given that it is a major inland route to various other settlements my river, road and zeppelin there must be one somewhere, and the Champions' fort doesn't count as that seems to be dedicated to a military stopping off point. Whether or not Arx might be that coastal town or city is anyone's guess, but there must be some fairly major coastal town(s) in that area.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I almost forgot the harbour in the fort itself^^
But that it also faces north strenghens my conclusion, that the mainland coast has to be nort of fort joy.
I know that Island harbours almost always get build into the direction of the mainland, if said mainland is near that island.

From the images of sentinel Island I would identify that biome more northern, at least in a temperate, and salty (wich explaines the desertish look) climate.

Fort Joy Island seems more tropical to me based on the vegetation and even the sand and water.
The sand has a warm and yellowish color.
The Water is pretty clear and light blue, which also indicates a tropical climate.
Carribean Islands are a good example.

veteran
veteran
I once said that Larian's process for establishing the lore of their next Divinity game seems to be that everyone is given a quiz covering established facts and information from previous games in the Divinity series, and whoever gets the most answers WRONG is put in charge of writing the lore for the new game.

Trying to work out a map from that is like trying to glue back together a vase using pieces of 18 different vases of varying sizes, shapes, and designs. And also a lot of the pieces from the vase you actually are trying to glue together have been removed from the pile.

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well I strongly believe that this vase is worth the glueing! ;-)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by RenWex
Fort Joy Island seems more tropical to me based on the vegetation and even the sand and water.
The sand has a warm and yellowish color.
The Water is pretty clear and light blue, which also indicates a tropical climate.
Carribean Islands are a good example.

I grew up near the seaside: it had the most gorgeous golden sand, and often really bright and hot sun: I remember the latter, because my skin got really badly flayed by sunburn in my youth. But this was facing the North Sea which was absolutely bloody freezing. Didn't stop me swimming in it, but I was young and foolish! And the most wonderful aquamarine sea I've ever seen was off the north coast of Scotland. Looks can be deceiving...

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I once said that Larian's process for establishing the lore of their next Divinity game seems to be that everyone is given a quiz covering established facts and information from previous games in the Divinity series, and whoever gets the most answers WRONG is put in charge of writing the lore for the new game.

Trying to work out a map from that is like trying to glue back together a vase using pieces of 18 different vases of varying sizes, shapes, and designs. And also a lot of the pieces from the vase you actually are trying to glue together have been removed from the pile.

biggrin

It does seem a bit like that sometimes. I've also attempted to map other areas based on literature with varying degrees of success (admittedly varying between "none" and "little" most of the time...)

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It occurs to me that I may have sounded more argumentative than I'd intended: I hope not, I was just highlighting the way I saw things. I guess the point was that we have our own perspectives, and I'm not really sure what Fort Joy's island is supposed to represent in terms of locale and climate and stuff.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
It is okay! hehe
Having different perspectives can be a very constructive factor!
Shall we talk about other places that can be located more precisely?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard