Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
This likely was discussed years ago (but I haven't found it) as it's pretty glaring but I can't help notice that the story lines do not mesh. DD speaks of the Lord of Chaos being banned from the world twice, first by the gods, then in an epic battle with all the species united. OS is the beginning. It too talks of the gods banning the Lord/dragon of chaos from the world and their escape due to the guardians lapse. Then the guardians ban them. The guardians are divine beings, not he council of seven and there is no epic battle between demons and the intelligent species. Has this disconnect ever been explained?

EDIT: a link to the likely old discussion would be highly welcomed. smile

Last edited by caninelegion; 03/06/17 02:55 AM.
Support
Support

There is a Divinity series timeline in one of the D:OS Kickstarter updates, though since it was before the game was out, it skips the D:OS story and lore.

The Divine Divinity pre-story pdf is included with DD and D2:DC.

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Thanks; I read both before and just reread "story" but there's still that disconnect. In game (DD), it was said that hell was formed after the Lord of Chaos was banned via the seven gods leaving the world and thus pulling him with them. That matches OS and him being placed in the box (sort of). The problem is the in-game story says he was twice banned; first by the gods themselves and then by the League of Seven. That leaves out the whole OS story. The timeline glosses over the pre-DD (OS) story (well, it likely wasn't complete yet; just an idea) but it just doesn't fit well. It's more like two separate and unrelated stories forced together. Surely this was noticed and discussed at sometime and I imagine that it was one entertaining discussion.

A
veteran
veteran
A
To me, several parts don't quite fit together very much.
As much as I'd like to have a consistent story line, I don't really blame Larian. I guess they were rather busy / intersted in putting "fun" into the game than consistency. wink
And as long as I can have some fun with a game, I'm rather looking over a few mistakes. wink

Edit : I currently have a similar problem : In a story I'm writing these days, I'm characterizing a small town as being situated at a small river ... However, I'm referencing in-story to another short story I had written before ... And in that story, the town is a coast town ... Located at the sea ... I now have to dvelop a solution between both, which will most likely look like it being a small town located at a river which flows into the sea close to where the town is (or not far from it).

This is just an example of what can happen if one writes a story long after another one had been written - and forgetting (at least in part) about the first story. wink

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 03/06/17 12:45 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It sounds like your town has entered an ice age and the sea-level has dropped... or something. laugh

J'aime le fromage.
A
veteran
veteran
A
LOL ! laugh

No, I was rather thinking of the river taking just another turn before entering the sea. wink

I could place both stories into different ages of the area there, but that would be not as good as I want it to be ("yes, it's exactly 1 year ago since our folks stood before the gates wishing to enter", that's very close to the exact point that made me have "headaches" wink ). I'd like to have it there because 1. of that additional drama coming from that "it's exactly 1 year ago" anniversary" 2. of the mentioned "our folks" actually meant to be the very same in both stories.

But since I'm still in the process of writing, I can still change some bits. wink

I have trouble, though, at writing a longer story, as it's meant to be (I can only successfully write short stories), and writing in a genre I never did before (criminal story).

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
To me, several parts don't quite fit together very much.
As much as I'd like to have a consistent story line, I don't really blame Larian. I guess they were rather busy / intersted in putting "fun" into the game than consistency. wink
And as long as I can have some fun with a game, I'm rather looking over a few mistakes. wink

Edit : I currently have a similar problem : In a story I'm writing these days, I'm characterizing a small town as being situated at a small river ... However, I'm referencing in-story to another short story I had written before ... And in that story, the town is a coast town ... Located at the sea ... I now have to dvelop a solution between both, which will most likely look like it being a small town located at a river which flows into the sea close to where the town is (or not far from it).

This is just an example of what can happen if one writes a story long after another one had been written - and forgetting (at least in part) about the first story. wink

Yeah, I don't blame them; just a fun discussion topic (I'd think). It occurred to me that I am likely just making a bad assumption. I assumed that the entire story was written first and the games made to match but Larian really didn't know if DD and BDD (I think they were released very close to each other) would pan out. When they did, that may have been the time that ideas were started for follow ons so it would be disjointed by nature. Indeed, it may be that each story was written by a different person.

Support
Support

Originally Posted by caninelegion
In game (DD), it was said that hell was formed after the Lord of Chaos was banned via the seven gods leaving the world and thus pulling him with them. That matches OS and him being placed in the box (sort of). The problem is the in-game story says he was twice banned; first by the gods themselves and then by the League of Seven. That leaves out the whole OS story.

The events in the pre-story of DD take place after D:OS. The D:OS story didn't exist then. It's up to D:OS (or D:OS 2) to rectify the story with the earlier games.

There is a lore book being written for the D:OS 2 Kickstarter, though the physical rewards are only available to Kickstarter backers with an appropriate tier or add-on.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard