Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hash codes at Larian Vault Profile:

See? In my country we use # to denote floor and unit code like #12-224

But Larian Vault Profile doesn't allow # in Address and under second field, it gets removed. I even tried ##.

Will they print out floor/unit code with #, I wonder? Hoping so, so it'll reach me proper. smile

Support
Support

It should be obvious from the format, even without the #, though, shouldn't it? Can you use another abbreviation instead, like 'Apt.' for apartment, etc, or just 'floor 12, unit 224'?

I'll check if that is something that can be changed without diverting too much attention from the game itself.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Hash mich !
(This is a word game.)

I actually never understood the meaning of this sign : #
I once read the word "garden fence" for it, and that stuck. I'm still calling this sign "garden fence" to this day.
Needless to say that it doesn't exist in German language.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's a bit of an odd one. North Americans seem to use it in place of what would be № in the UK, though it seems that's becoming rather archaic now. The naming also seems to be a bit inconsistent, apart from it being the sharp sign in music it was also known as an "octothorpe", and I've no idea where "hash" comes from. One that really confuses me is when people call it a "pound": I don't know if this is anything to do with it sharing the same keyboard position with a £ sign on UK keyboards or just random coincidence (for the record, I never understood the £ either until I found out it's a crossed L for "librae", the Latin currency denomination; I'm not sure how this came to be a pound, though I guess it would also explain why the equivalently-named unit of weight is abbreviated lb).

Well that was a bit of a random meander even for me!

Edit: well to satisfy my own curiosity, the currency unit is apparently so named because a pound of silver would be used to mint 240 coins of the actual currency of the day, so it seems the name stuck, and the connection with "libra" is the Latin phrase lībra pondō, meaning "a pound by weight". Though the mix of modern and ancient terminology makes the translation look a bit odd.

Last edited by vometia; 19/06/17 12:32 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

I believe 'hash' comes from Twitter's use of # for their 'hashtag' function (basically keywords to track/search tweets about a particular topic).
The term 'pound' was at least in use for telephones when switching over from rotary dials to touch tone buttons, and the # and * (star) buttons were added... Wikipedia says it is often claimed the number sign evolved from the pound symbol (â„” written in cursive handwriting, cleaned up and simplified). Maybe it's not a coincidence they are on the same key for UK keyboards.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've heard of it referred to as a "hash" in computing since I was at college... which pre-dates Twitter a bit as I'm ancient. biggrin

I hadn't heard of the crossed lb thing before (and don't seem to have a compose key sequence to make one... I'll have to add it now in case I ever use it!) which is quite interesting. Randomly talking of octothorpe, I'm also reminded of the "Sputnik" symbol which is similar but with just single oblique points on its corners. I don't know what that's for either.

The pre-UTF UK code-pages also typically assign the same number to £ as # only with the high-bit set which I guess is appropriate if they're both pound symbols.

So I learnt something today. Now I'll probably forget something else to make room for it!

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard