#615405 19/09/17 05:38 AM
E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
SPOILERS!!! AVOID READING THE TOPIC

Hi everyone, bought the game in EA, but cannot access it and play right now. I've been a a fan of Larian and Divinity series since I played BD (yeah, strange start). I am very interested in lore and plot of the games. Can anyone spoil the plot of DOS2 here? Will Lucian appear in the game? Will Damian? How is source connected to the divine power?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well considering the time it plays in. Lucian should be in the Hall of Echoes and Damian is still in the world of BD. So I highly doubt any of those two appear. They are however regulary mentioned since the Divine Order exists and good and bad deeds are done in Lucians name no doubt.

I admit it is a bit strange that Original Sin 2 mentioned that Lucian sacrificed himself after the deathfog-attack. I always thought he was alive until Damian came back and defeated him after BD. Does anyone have an explanaition for that?

Last edited by MAsterX; 19/09/17 01:51 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Divinity 2 is no longer canon it seems. Lucian is alive and not trapped in The Plane of Hypnerotomachia, and he is trying to get rid of source all together to completely kill the Void, God King, and the Gods, Dallis is working with him and is an eternal and the daughter of Fane, The hooded figure with Dallis is Braccus Rex, Damian is no where to be seen. As for the endings, you either become the new Divine and stop the Void and God King or you decline and let the God King enslave everything and everyone. There is another option where you let Lucian claim your source and turn you into a Silent Monk, but neither my friend or I chose that option, so I dunno what happens there.

Last edited by NoName101; 19/09/17 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Thanks for your help! Perhaps it all takes place before BD, and then when the threat from the Source and the Void is eliminated, Damian returns and the plot of Divinity 2 kicks in.

But why is Braccus alive if Source Hunters from Original Sin prevented his resurrection? And why Source attracts Voidwoken if it was purged from the Void Dragon's corruption? Do they clarify it?

N
stranger
stranger
N
OS2 is set in 1242, which during that time according to the timeline, Lucian should be locked away, Damian biding his time and building up his army, and The Slayers having been founded to combat the Dragon Knights. Braccus Rex is back because he was resurrected by Tarquin as he knows where to find the Aeteran (Forgive me, I may have misspelled the name of the weapon) which can kill anything. The Void is or was, the Race that The God King, the Eternals, and the Seven Gods belonged to, but the Seven were not Gods under the God King, when they rebelled and sealed him away, they used Source to power themselves, and then they created the Races to feed on to make themselves stronger. So, say a human dies, when they go to the Hall of Echoes, Rhalic will feed on their source, making himself stronger and completely erasing that person from existence all together. So, in essence the Gods are parasites. The Divine is used by them to stop the void so they can continue feeding on everyone. The God King just wants to be the ruler of everything again. This the basic gist of the entire story. Some parts may be slightly wrong, and if so, feel free to correct me.

E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Ok, thanks, it clarifies a lot.

But haven't Lucian basically stolen the power from the gods to repel the Black Circle and the Demon of Lies? So the demons must oppose the gods which feed on souls, which makes the Chaos and the Demons the good guys? O_o

It also explains why the Void Dragon wanted to corrupt the Source, but Astarte is not one of the seven gods and seems like a benevolent being. Do they clarify her role in this?

N
stranger
stranger
N
Astarte, to my knowledge is never mentioned nor brought up. The Void dragon is mentioned in passing in a book as are the two Source Hunters from Original Sin 1. The Role of The Divine now it seems is to stop the Void and The God King from enslaving everything so the God's can continue feeding on their Worshippers. Some Demons from Nemesis are present in the game and some can be talked to, but Damian is MIA which, him being the reincarnated Chaos Demon and quite a threat is extremely odd. The entire game seems to treat Damian as if he is actually dead. Lucian barely mentions him when you speak to him except to say that not killing him when he was a baby was a mistake.

E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
So they made a noble, selfless and merciful Lucian into a jerk working to maintain the horrible status-quo where Gods destroy living beings on a regular basis? Kinda sad watching Larian do this to their own lore and ideas.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Lucian is completely different from what he was in the prior games. If you remember, he could not bring himself to kill Damian, even with all that he did and tried to keep causalities to a minimum. In OS2 however, Lucian is completely fine with using Deathfog to wipe out the Black Ring and innocent Elves in the area, He goes to the Godwoken academy and slaughters every other Godwoken there so his son, Alexander is the only Godwoken. If you kill Alexander, and talk to him about it, he doesn't even seem to care. I suppose Lucian trying to ride the world of Source, thus killing The Void, God King, and God's so the races can live without the threat of them can be considered noble, but on the whole he seems like a complete arsehole now.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Erathan
So they made a noble, selfless and merciful Lucian into a jerk working to maintain the horrible status-quo where Gods destroy living beings on a regular basis? Kinda sad watching Larian do this to their own lore and ideas.

I guess it makes sense, because most people felt the story in OS1 was really lacking. Which to me, is partly true because the story was set up so well in the first act. It seemed after about level 15, the story was a bit of a let down.

I came to this thread for spoilers as well. I bought the CE and it hasn't arrived yet. Some things I am hoping to see is more Bellegar and Larian humor. Also wanted to see Braccus Rex's storyline explained further. Cassandra and Arhu was kinda sad in the last one, would be nice to see a happy ending to that. And for some reason, I would like to see some of my followers again. Even though they annoyed me half the time.

In DOS1, they said something about how a soul forge couldn't be completely broken... does this game expand upon soul forges? Also, are wizards immortal? They seem to live forever in the Divinity universe.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
N
stranger
stranger
N
I'm not sure if Wizards are immortal, Amadia gifted immortality to her lover whom was a Wizard, but I think they just live extremely long lives compared to the other races. Soul Forges are never brought up unless my friend and I missed something, but we chatted with everyone and looked through all the books, letters etc we came across and we did not see mention of Soul Forges.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by NoName101
Lucian is completely different from what he was in the prior games. If you remember, he could not bring himself to kill Damian, even with all that he did and tried to keep causalities to a minimum. In OS2 however, Lucian is completely fine with using Deathfog to wipe out the Black Ring and innocent Elves in the area, He goes to the Godwoken academy and slaughters every other Godwoken there so his son, Alexander is the only Godwoken. If you kill Alexander, and talk to him about it, he doesn't even seem to care. I suppose Lucian trying to ride the world of Source, thus killing The Void, God King, and God's so the races can live without the threat of them can be considered noble, but on the whole he seems like a complete arsehole now.

The big problem with this is Larian went too far with the jerkass part i understand they wanted to make Lucian more grey but they apparently went too far. Would be better if he could succeed and you see him break down thats its finally over or something like that.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C

Divinity dragon knight saga lucian is a wise old knight who tries his best in a screwed up situation and chastise you because you royally messed up.

Divinity original sin 2 Lucian sounds like a decrepit old guy who has been mind controlled, i legitimately thought Dallis was controlling him somehow with how his voice sounded, then he just dies.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I was honestly expecting Alexander to be Damian in disguise and he was playing both the Magisters and Divine Order for his own fun. And when I found out that was not the case, and saw Lucian alive I thought surely this is Damian playing a trick, but nope. Lucian was actually Lucian and now nothing like his old self.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I was honestly expecting Alexander to be Damian in disguise and he was playing both the Magisters and Divine Order for his own fun. And when I found out that was not the case, and saw Lucian alive I thought surely this is Damian playing a trick, but nope. Lucian was actually Lucian and now nothing like his old self.

Also wouldnt you destroy the lore by becoming a new divine?

wtf happend to dragon knight saga now?

N
stranger
stranger
N
The writers seemed to not have read up on or seem to care about established lore from the prior games. Larian just seems to have given them names people recognize, and said write something around that. I said to my friend we could have had two other ways for Original Sin 2 to be its own game but also keep in with the established lore. One - It could have been set after Lucian became the Divine and we could have been Soldiers for him during the Great War against the Black Ring and it leads into Lucian being "killed". Second - It could have been set after Damian "killed" Lucian, and maybe we could have been apart of the newly founded Slayers and hunt down the Dragon Knights to avenge Lucian and that in turn would have lead into Divinity 2. I know I'm complaining a lot, the game itself is good, but the blatant disregard of the established lore irks me.

E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Larian was always very liberal about its lore, the only two games that were tightly connected were DD and BD. I think they don't care about the lore itself, they just use different elements from their original story to write completely new ones with the same characters. It's author's own fan-fiction. Imagine Tolkien writing about Aragorn turning evil and putting him into a slightly different setting - that would be the same.

And while I find this way of storytelling interesting and engaging, it sucks that we don't get satisfactory conclusions to the stories Larian tells us. And especially with this game, which could have utilized Damian, who is the most interesting character they've created.

N
stranger
stranger
N
As I said, I went into it thinking Alexander was Damian and he was playing the Magisters and Divine Order for fools. I was hoping they would go that route as I was looking forward to exploring more of Damian as a character.

journeyman
journeyman
The writers seemed to not have read up on or seem to care about established lore from the prior games. Larian just seems to have given them names people recognize, and said write something around that. I said to my friend we could have had two other ways for Original Sin 2 to be its own game but also keep in with the established lore. One - It could have been set after Lucian became the Divine and we could have been Soldiers for him during the Great War against the Black Ring and it leads into Lucian being "killed". Second - It could have been set after Damian "killed" Lucian, and maybe we could have been apart of the newly founded Slayers and hunt down the Dragon Knights to avenge Lucian and that in turn would have lead into Divinity 2. I know I'm complaining a lot, the game itself is good, but the blatant disregard of the established lore irks me.

I'm sad to hear they diverged so far away from the established lore. I think the basic lore was pretty good, and interesting. They could have at least kept the basic aspects of established lore. I think they should have given it a different name, Original Sin 2 makes it sound like a sequel to the first.

I feel bad complaining, because I love Larian and their games. But at the same time, lore is really important to me.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Do they at least explain where Alexander came from? It's not like Lucian had time to hang out with chicks, with the crusade he waged against the Black Circle and with Damian being his adopted son at first and an enemy later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard