Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#608592 01/09/17 10:42 AM
cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
What will be next Larian game? Will it be isometric or using other perspectives ?

What is the future of Divinity engine and possibility for D: OS 3?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Good question, and one whose answer someone like Raze will know a lot better than I do. From what I understand, the current engine is likely to be re-used for future projects; and from what I've seen, it should be good for various perspectives, not just isometric. I guess I'd like Divinity 3 to be another third-person game like Divinity 2 (edit: by which I mean as distinct from the Original Sins, since there's already been some confusion regarding nomenclature). Being switchable between 1st/3rd/isometric would be better still, but personally I'd like another real-time game next time round.

I honestly have no idea what's Larian's road-map, though. Maybe the upcoming lore book may give some hints...

Last edited by vometia; 01/09/17 01:20 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

That is to be decided some time after D:OS 2 is released.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by vometia
I guess I'd like Divinity 3 to be another third-person game like Divinity 2 (edit: by which I mean as distinct from the Original Sins, since there's already been some confusion regarding nomenclature).
I honestly have no idea what's Larian's road-map, though. Maybe the upcoming lore book may give some hints...

Can one in the current Divinity (DOS2) engine build third-person game like Divinity 2 ?

Divinity 2 is running on Elder Scrolls engine.

Support
Support

Yes, it would support a third person camera, and could be updated to support real time combat.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by cyseal
Divinity 2 is running on Elder Scrolls engine.

I suppose to be slightly pedantic* it's not actually the same engine as Oblivion, but both use Gamebryo and have enough commonality that similar modding tools can be employed for certain tasks with only minimal adaptation.

I slightly miss the wobbly old Gamebryo engine but it is a bit long in the tooth and the newer Original Sin one has more mileage in it, even if it does use horrid GR2 files.

* this is of course a guarantee that anything I've said is of likely questionable accuracy, as inevitably happens with pedantry.

Last edited by vometia; 02/09/17 05:20 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Divinity 3, right?

Finishing the story of Lucian.

Plus I'm still curious what happened to Rhode after FoV.

I don't think Larian will return to the 3rd persion action RPG genre but I hope I'm wrong...

Last edited by virumor; 16/09/17 07:02 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Blimey, you're keen! biggrin I'm not even out of the Fort Joy swamp yet.

I'm hoping Rhode will come back as a coat stand, as someone mischievously described her.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
For D:OSII I will wait for the enhanced edition...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virumor
For D:OSII I will wait for the enhanced edition...

IF it happens.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
IF it happens.

There is that: although there's a bit of a precedent with Divinity 2 and D:OS (and I think they would've liked to do more with Dragon Commander had time and resources allowed) I get the impression they really wanted to get D:OS 2 right first time.

J'aime le fromage.
cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe Larian can make Ego Draconis sequel like the Dark souls/Witcher 3 in it's own unique style.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
That would be quite nice. I think that Flames of Vengeance was a bit of an oddity as I believe that something of the scope of DKS is what they wanted in the first place... but the publisher happened, which is why Ego Draconis ended where it did. I'm not certain that's the case but it's my understanding.

And then I think they did want something on a bigger scale where you could explore the area around Aleroth but being confined to the city worked very well (surprisingly, for me, as I generally like exploring and admiring the scenery) and made it its own thing. In some ways it reminded me of Morrowind's Tribunal in that it "should" have felt claustrophobic but didn't. I preferred Aleroth over Mournhold as a setting though.

J'aime le fromage.
cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
What about Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura successor?

Arcanum

Could there be a Divinity steampunk universe somewhen in the game's lore ?

old hand
old hand
From what I've been reading it may very well be that Dragon Knight saga got retconned out.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I haven't played right to the end of OS2 (I'm not a huge fan of boss battles so I quit once I got to the second round) but admittedly I'm slightly struggling to see how Flames of Vengeance in particular works based on what I currently know. Unless I make some highly speculative assumptions.

It'd be a pity if it is retconned as it was a rather fun jaunt and probably remains my favourite Divinity overall. Yeah okay, it's the first one I played which for us gamers is almost inevitably the one by which all the others are judged!

There is at least an allusion to DKS in that we did in fact meet a dragon knight in the early stages on OS2 and the particular unpleasantness leading up to it was yet to begin.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Divinity 3, right?

Finishing the story of Lucian.

Plus I'm still curious what happened to Rhode after FoV.

I don't think Larian will return to the 3rd persion action RPG genre but I hope I'm wrong...

Yeah i hope for a Divinity 3 too, so that Larian can finally finish the Story and make a completly new universe from the ground up. Too many things in the lore of Divinity fell wonky.

There is that: although there's a bit of a precedent with Divinity 2 and D:OS (and I think they would've liked to do more with Dragon Commander had time and resources allowed) I get the impression they really wanted to get D:OS 2 right first time.

They wanted to do the other games properly too. Its just that they always ran out of resources. DOS 2 looks like the first game that didnt have that problem.

The book in the Divinity Anthology Edition gives a lot of insight into the problems they had.

That would be quite nice. I think that Flames of Vengeance was a bit of an oddity as I believe that something of the scope of DKS is what they wanted in the first place... but the publisher happened, which is why Ego Draconis ended where it did. I'm not certain that's the case but it's my understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Nq9_X68os

This gives a pretty good insight in what Divinity 2 was supposed to be. And tbh, the game we got (as good as i think it is) is just a fraction of what it was supposed to be.

From what I've been reading it may very well be that Dragon Knight saga got retconned out.

Which is extremly sad imo. I really liked the story of Divinity 2. I didnt finish DOS 2 yet, but from what i've seen, there is almost no way to fit in Divinity 2 anymore.

[Insert something funny here]
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Maybe that's why the thread I started on the chronology of the games was deleted.

I've only played three of the games thus far but I have to agree that the story line is getting stretched. A new world would freshen the thinking process and allow Larian a new freedom to create.

Last edited by caninelegion; 29/09/17 09:57 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by caninelegion
Maybe that's why the thread I started on the chronology of the games was deleted.

Hmm? That's odd, we seldom delete anything unless it's spam...

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I thought it odd too - nothing offensive and it was about the new game (I asked where it fit in chronologically with the others). I got an answer that it was between BD and and Dragon Commander (although now I'm not sure). I basically was deciding what my next purchase would be - I got this thing for chronological order. I checked it a day later and it was gone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard