Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am still mapping on my first map: A River landscape with a huge gorge waterfall.
This is basically my first mapping attempt with D:OS 2, so there wasn't a real level design in mind (functionality), but i was just continuing mapping like it came to my mind (yes i do like waterfalls) and trying and polishing stuff. (To polish this one and keep the same quality in every corner of that map really is work). Wasnt doing any light or sound setting so far.

Still i wonder what to do to give the whole thing a purpose. You think i should add a house or something. That wall actually I just placed there because I was lazy and wanted to have a border / block.

Feel free to give me some input what you miss (house, cave,) especially on the empty parts and general feedback and constructive criticism.
I might publish it as GM addon once it is finished and you like it here.
Here the whole map from above: see more images in the spoiler tag.

[Linked Image]

EDIT: changed layout of images

Last edited by morez; 02/10/17 09:40 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
looks fantastic

old hand
old hand
Looks like you're having fun and if this is your first level, you have a knack for it too. If the level doesn't have a set purpose and you are looking to share it with others, I would say less is more. Allow others to create a level template with this and then determine what spice they want to add to it.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Awesome Scene!

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you all for feedback. I am happy you like it. I guess yes i will let it empty of any "civilized" placeables other than some ruins and that bridge.

@Windemere: I was mapping with NWN2, though 10 years ago. With DOS1 i was also figuring out the potential in comparison to NWN2. (Beside other things and difference in release date, AI Grid rendering / baking is so much superior in DOS engine). Terrain painting really is nice with DOS, though i am lacking sometimes to punch to really finish this amount of detail work. If you like it though i will upload it as GM addon.

old hand
old hand
Oh, that 'splains it. smile I cut my level editing teeth in NWN2 as well! The only thing I miss about NWN2 is the color tool. That could be really handy for breaking up texture monotony. That game will always have a special place in my heart as it really got me hooked on modding.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
addict
addict
Great scene!

What I like most (second to the waterfall of course) are the different heights. Potential for interesting combat scenarios.

That wall actually fits nicely with the bridge laugh Gives a sort of "ruins" vibe. I'd merge it even more into the landscape with a broken tower or two and some hills that merge with the wall! Might also give your map a purpose as you could build a makeshift camp in between the ruins (brainstorming out loud here).

Also, don't hesitate filling it up, not with actual set content but just decoration. The vegetation around the paths is great and in a top-down perspective people often expect every corner of the screen to be decorated. They'll often be able to fill it with playable content like encounters etc. themselves as they get inspired by the surrounding potential (which this map certainly has).

CTRL+K the elf
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
@Windemere: with all its flaws... NWN2 really got me hooked up to mess around, I hardly every really played it. DOS is the first thing that feels as a successor for me to have something to play and mess around to finally somehow geek out. Although 10 years ago i had more time resources. Mainly i was retexturing things; more than mapping.

@Kevin:
Thanks a lot of the feedback! hadn't much time to proceed on this but i took your advice and builded more ruin like stuff merging with the bridge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I ask anybody here for feedback, tips and tricks for setting proper light.
With most atmosphere presets i am missing some amount of diffusive light in the shadows, as they are almost full black.
To lighten up the shadows i put spotlights up in the sky, from the opponent direction as the sun and set them to not casting shadows. This is just to represent the diffusive light, without any "real" lightsource in the level like lantern, torches etc..

Several questions:
Are there more elegant ways to do that, like to setup this directly in the atmosphere settings?
If i wanted to use point lights? How to disable the glowing light source?
Anything i could adjust better in the light settings?

I want this to be a GM addon level, but was setting up an atmosphere trigger. Can this be also rather annoying for the GM, when she wants to setup the mood by herself, but it is changing by itself?

Example 1: Without / with spotlight:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Example 2: Without / with spotlight:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Example 3: Without / with spotlight:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Level overview and spotlights:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any feedback welcome!

@Kevin: Thanks again for the tipp, creating more ruins. As you can see you really "ruined" my scene here :P

Last edited by morez; 11/10/17 08:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
"Ruined" the scene... Oh God I love puns xD Looks fantastic dude!

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Composer
"Ruined" the scene... Oh God I love puns xD Looks fantastic dude!

As i see your own project is really impressive and you've spent hundreds of hours so far with the editor ... you do have any advice on lighting the scene?

veteran
veteran
Primarily I'd suggest loading up the main campaign maps and inspect stuff, get ideas from there.

Basically what I do is I play the game, see things I like and go "Hey, this is cool, how'd they do this?" then I go there in the editor and inspect. After that, I decide upon an atmosphere presert for a part of the map, edit the atmosphere if I want minor adjustments, then add pointlights or spotlights (Or spotlights with volumetric turned on through windows/cave openings) and such.

One thing I've noticed in the campaign is that there's rarely any location without some RS3 effects going on, wind, dust, water drops, falling leaves or some sort of lighting to spice up the scene.

It's all up to taste and your decision for what looks good and works for your goal :P

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the answer. As i hardly was playing the main campaign yet (still waiting for shared time with friends), i was shy to spoil myself by loading up the campaign in the editor, and have to ask the question here wink

Just was wondering which slider in the atmosphere panel actually lightens up the diffuse light in the shadows.

journeyman
journeyman
Make sure you have a light probe with the "distant" probe type. Then "render all light probes" under the Level tab on top. Might need one for each atmosphere region.

Map is looking really good.

Last edited by Branvex; 11/10/17 02:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sure thing!

Open the resource manager and find the atmospheres, right-click one close to what you want and "Create new from selected" - Double click the new atmosphere you copied.

[Linked Image]

Go to the "Sun" tab and find the 'Shadows' section:

[Linked Image]

Then tweak and adjust, experiment as you like smile

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
@Composer: Because i liked so much what you did with your trailer i had to copy you and try something similar. As i will leave tomorrow for holidays, and i am not finished, neither with the level nor with the video, i had to post this work in progress video for work in progress level.

Enjoy. and happy for feedback!

veteran
veteran
That looks bloody awesome, Morez!

old hand
old hand
*swoon* That level has come a long way, that was a joy to watch. smile

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by morez
@Composer: Because i liked so much what you did with your trailer i had to copy you and try something similar. As i will leave tomorrow for holidays, and i am not finished, neither with the level nor with the video, i had to post this work in progress video for work in progress level.

Enjoy. and happy for feedback!

Totally awesome. Love the climbing around so much.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you guys. All these sweet comments from mapping / modding VIPs. That's motivating.

@Redunzgofasta: yeah climbing is really one of my favourite features of DOS2. So i experimented with that. Would love to have a jump animation trigger/connection aswell. Wonder if that was possible to mod.

journeyman
journeyman
Looking good man. smile

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. - Bob Ross
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Greetings!

I hadn't much time to continue on this map and probably will even have less time ressources in the upcoming weeks. Therefore i decided to publish it in the current state as BETA version, to improve it later, and hope to get some feedback in the meanwhile that could guide me how to finish the map.

Before publishing some questions to you guys with a higher rank in loremaster!
  • Are there general advices, DOs and DONT's before publishing?
  • Is there a way to place GM stickies in the editor? Or something similar to provide information about hidden paths, general idea of the setting, fractions and so on? In generally I just want to provide ideas, which came up while building the level, which was developed very much on the flow but some narratives came naturally up in my mind. Don't want to be too restrictive and keep it more like a sandbox.
  • Instead of fog, i would like to place cloud placeables on the margins of the map (did so with black clouds available out of the box mainly for making the world map). Any advice how to do or to find big cloud items to place in the map (no i don't want that deathfog)? This would make the map prettier when using the cam hack tool.
  • I still can't make sound files working, heard that this is an general issue and decided to wait?
  • Any good advice how to do poison traps with one of those earth whole items?

Here the ingame world map i created (click it for zooming in 4Kx4K)?
[Linked Image]

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Would you like a minimap / world map alternative like this ?

[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Gonna test and use this for sure. Love the world map but don't think I'd like the minimap much. It looks cool though!

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
old hand
old hand
Artistically, it's really cool but on a practical level it would probably irritate me if I'm being honest. smile

Congrats on the release, looks like a fine job.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Before release i was waiting to get some answers on my questions actually. Especially if i could do stickies via editor.

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Still i was looking for a way how to make notes in the editor for GMs.

I post my general ideas about the level shortly here in spoiler tags

!SPOILER ALARM!

I wrote this up for a private chat but now for time management i reuse it here for this post:
[Linked Image]

This was my first map, so there was now intentional plan, but it developed in the mapping flow and so came possible ideas about the setting.

Generally i imagine the scene as a once great city (with possible important treasure) that got swallowed by the nature (earth and roots).

Markers on the map.

1 - my intended starting point, though could be used as cave entry to enter the mud mountain and ruins

2 - alternative starting point, or possible exit point.

3 - root object can be destroyed and then the ruins are accessible via teleport spell.

4 - dynamic object (rubble) can be destroyed to access ruins via teleport.

5 - hidden platform behind the waterfall (camera is a mess as generally not polished yet in the level)

6 - possible this i called eagle rock and i imagined a nature people with wings (winged elves maybe) living there. Possible to join forces with these against the undead in the ruins. Possible plot to find out that they were responsible (or had a part) for the destruction of the city. (i imagined even possible taking (moral) sides with either the "elves" or the "undead".
Imagined a nature elf lair level inside the cave connected to the fallen river. (still to do this level but lacking the time and maybe i would like to do some entirely different map.

7 - possible encounter with archers, zombies crawlers poison

8 - possible encounter, here could be realized that the city was swallowed by roots and earth.

9 - possible encounter recommended with archer and poison. I imagined the tree coming out of the wall as a possible entry into the mud ruins. If allied with the eagle rock faction, they could help here in a battle or vice versa.

10 - this actually is the most unsure part of the map and i though even to delete it. Imagined this as the cage for monsters and abnormal creatures of the once big city. Maybe this decadence finally brought the rage of the nature and the city's fall.

As i said i builded this area with the flow and therefore sometimes it is hard to redo or delete some parts of it. But i bet by changing certain things and also radically delete some parts (10) and create some new could certainly improve the map.

I really would like to find a way to implement these ideas via markers stickies just visible for the GM, though via editor because as i stated when creating a new GM campaign, it will be hard for people to import it in their running GM session.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard