Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey everyone! I was wondering how one would go about putting in your own recorded dialogue or intro audio for NPC characters.

Does anyone know where that option is for GM-Mode?

*Note: If it's not in GM-Mode directly, perhaps it is an option from within the Divinity Engine 2, so that it could be used for GM-Mode.

E
stranger
stranger
E
It is not the GM mode currently and the way things seem at the moment I doubt that it will be officially added. Larian seem to take it personal if you suggest any kind of automation in GM mode. Especially when talking about dialog. They want the GM to be narrating every npc at all times.

In the engine it is possible to write custom dialog text trees and that may not be so difficult to add in but I have not seen anything on adding in custom sounds or music yet.

Importing audio in engine / game master mode is not supported yet.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher420
They want the GM to be narrating every npc at all times.

To be fair, that is kind of the whole point of GM mode. I'd love for them to add the ability to record custom voices and barks for use in the editor though.

Last edited by Ghatt; 06/10/17 08:56 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It is not the GM mode currently and the way things seem at the moment I doubt that it will be officially added. Larian seem to take it personal if you suggest any kind of automation in GM mode. Especially when talking about dialog. They want the GM to be narrating every npc at all times.

In the engine it is possible to write custom dialog text trees and that may not be so difficult to add in but I have not seen anything on adding in custom sounds or music yet.

Of course, I understand that if a GM isn't GM-ing, then this as a feature could hurt the purpose of GM-Mode. Entirely voiced NPCs would be a nice addition, but I moreso was interested in it for some basic backstory of characters for pre-written introductions.

At the very least a simple short line like, "How are doing kind sir(or madam)?" etc To give the GM a frame of mind for the character's voice. For me, it would be easier to remember who is who, when playing around with 50+ different voices, sometimes you lose the initial voice you were going for.

The game has Quest Dialogue trees, but having Dynamic responses to questions would certainly require a GM. I've never much liked doing the "Narrator" GM for dialogue. I much prefer getting into the characters for more fun. Some options with pre-recorded voices would only enhance/help out the experience for the campaign.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Seter
Importing audio in engine / game master mode is not supported yet.

Cool beans. Thanks! smile

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Ghatt
They want the GM to be narrating every npc at all times.

To be fair, that is kind of the whole point of GM mode. I'd love for them to add the ability to record custom voices and barks for use in the editor though.

Indeed. For my campaign, the players are looking to split up from time to time into groups. Though the default maps are quite limited in scope as smaller scenes, if looking to use large maps/scenes, having some basic Voices recorded for NPCs would be nice.

Barks too, just so the world doesn't appear dead, without the GM constantly talking over the players or silence unless the players constantly ask for what the NPCs are "barking".

The dialogue between GM and players should be Dynamic, so there's no way all the dialogue could be voiced. That being said, some intro dialogue, diaries, voice memos (for more futuristic campaigns), distress signals...Etc...Things like these are nice for players to come across and have without the GM having to say it aloud.

I have ideas. smile

E
stranger
stranger
E
I joined this forum to find out the answer to this very same questions because watching gameplay of D:OS 2 its the ONE thing that is missing!! Perhaps it has been added since September 2017 and just haven't come across it.

stranger
stranger
AFAIK, no it hasn't been added. I specifically remember the devs saying they intended the GM to voice NPCs.

Check out my very first add-on: Expanded Treasure Tables for GM Mode on Nexus and Steam.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I would personally suggest using a soundboard for your ambient/background sounds with a mic injector program/virtual audio cable, and something like MorphVOX for voicing your custom characters (This is what I will be attempting, I'll update you on how it goes if you like)

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard