Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#629026 10/10/17 12:11 AM
Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey all,

I've been working on a skill mod that's inspired by D&D. It's still in the fairly early stages, but I thought I'd go ahead and share what I've been working on with the community.

Divine Skills (Paladin/Cleric):

Divine Touch:
Melee ranged healing spell that cures diseased, poison, and bleeding. 1 AP. Once per combat.
Divine Radiance:
Based on Blinding Radiance. Does less damage and causes undead and voidwoken to catch fire.
Divine Smite:
Attack that does extra damage and causes undead and voidwoken to catch fire.
Cure Wounds:
Melee ranged healing spell. Decent magnitude.
Turn Undead:
Makes undead in a 5m radius flee. Either once per combat or 5 turn cooldown.

Fighter Skills:

Action Surge:
Gives 2 extra AP. Can only be used once per combat.
Second Wind:
Minor self heal that can only be used once per combat. 0 AP cost.
Cleave:
Attack that inflicts damage on enemies within a certain arc.
Trip Attack:
Attack that does minimal damage but knocks down opponent.
Terrifying Blow:
Attack that causes opponent to flee in terror.
Brow Slice:
Attack that blinds your opponent for 2 turns.

Spells (Magic User):

Magic Missile:
Three missiles that can target 1-3 enemies or objects. Does physical damage.
Sleep:
AOE, puts targets to sleep for 2 turns.
Grease:
Creates an oil surface with the chance to knockdown targeted opponent.
Burning Hands:
Based on Dragon's Blaze, but with a 53 degree angle and a 5m range.
Firebolt:
Ranged fire attack with minor damage but may ignite target.
Acid Arrow:
Ranged spell that launches an acid arrow. Does corrosive damage.
Raise Dead:
Melee ranged spell that resurrects target at 10% vitality.
Resurrection:
Melee ranged spell that resurrects target at full vitality. Once per combat. Master level spell.
Mage Armor:
Melee ranged spell that grants +20% to dodge for 3 rounds.
Charm:
Spell with 10m range that charms your enemies.
Fog Cloud:
Create a 6m diameter cloud of steam.
Cloudkill:
Create a 6m diameter poison cloud.
Summon Spider:
Summons a big ole spider.
Dispel Magic:
Dispels a bunch of status effects and buffs. Doesn't dispel ones such as burning or shocked.
Slow:
Slows creatures within a 4m radius of targeted area.
Inflict Wounds:
Damaging melee spell.

That's it so far. As a note, since pretty much everything in DOS2 scales so do the damage values of these skills. The single use per combat skills don't have a memorization requirement.

I'm still working on additional skills and spells, as well as trying to figure out how to edit effects to make these skills look more distinct; which I still have zero clue on how to do, but I'll hopefully figure out at some point.

Also, I'm trying not to create any new statuses or do any scripting as I'd like this mod to be compatible with Smarmbots armor based saving throw mod and Baardvark's reduced number bloat mods.

Anyhow, hopefully I'll get this finished up and released sometime within the next month or two. Probably will end up with two versions as well. One that just has the additional skills put into appropriate combat abilities for use in a more standard divinity game and one in which I'll reorganize a great deal of the default skills, hijack some of the existing combat abilities for use as surrogates (hydrosophist for Divine, Pyro for evocation, etc), and add some additional cross class requirements for existing skills such as adding a pyro requirement to phoenix dive.

Right now I'm mainly targeting GM mode but if I get enough interest I may investigate how to add skills to skillbooks and treasure tables and such. No promises there, though.

Last edited by Ghatt; 24/10/17 10:03 PM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
These sound pretty interesting if you can pull them off but I would like to point out that melee really doesn't need another knockdown ability.

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Fiffin, I appreciate your words. Part of my goal is to provide more variety and options in general. I like having multiple ways to do things, need isn't as important to me. All of these skills already work too, just need to make more. I'll probably release an alpha version sooner than later, but I need to organize it a bit better first. Stay tuned, I'll update this as the mod progresses, but I'm pretty encouraged by my early results so far.

journeyman
journeyman
This is incredible. My main focus is translating my D&D campaign into DOS:2 and things like this give me hope.
Damn i wish people at Larian could help us doing it. I mean they have a good relationship with Wizards of the Coast, right?

veteran
veteran
I shall be watching this with great interest.
I'm very curious on how "Time stop" will work.

journeyman
journeyman
Check the Druid class mod and see if you can come to an agreement with its creator to add his spells (with some modifications) to the mod as well

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I shall be watching this with great interest.
I'm very curious on how "Time stop" will work.

To do Time Stop properly would probably require more scripting than I'm willing to do, but a skill like Time Warp could be tweaked to give something of the same flavor, with albeit different mechanics.

There might be other ways too, I'll have to brainstorm that one a bit.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm curious about 2 things, first, barbarians, they can't use armor, but hey have a lot of traits that raise their AC. And spells? How would you manage known spells from memorized spells? And how could you make the player be able to change them like in D&D?

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Noctro
I'm curious about 2 things, first, barbarians, they can't use armor, but hey have a lot of traits that raise their AC. And spells? How would you manage known spells from memorized spells? And how could you make the player be able to change them like in D&D?

Some of that is a bit outside the scope of the mod, but as long as you're playing GM mode, the GM could always give you a hand with spell management. Also, DOS 2 does have a memorization system that limits the amount of memorized skills you can have active at one time, but I don't think it limits the amount of skills you can know overall. Not quite the same, I know, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to alter it.

I'm not entirely sure if passive skills are possible, but there is probably a way to give physical resistance via a skill and/or temporary armor similar to fortify that would be 0 AP, have a long duration, and be useable once per encounter. In GM mode, the GM could always give the character "armor" and resistances as they see fit as well. That might actually be the best solution.

To get the most authentic feeling D&D game in DOS2 is probably going to take several mods working in conjunction as well as a hands on GM to help simulate certain aspects though. It won't ever be 100% but, with the right mods, it can be close enough for most I think.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ghatt
Originally Posted by Noctro

Some of that is a bit outside the scope of the mod, but as long as you're playing GM mode, the GM could always give you a hand with spell management. Also, DOS 2 does have a memorization system that limits the amount of memorized skills you can have active at one time, but I don't think it limits the amount of skills you can know overall. Not quite the same, I know, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to alter it.

I'm not entirely sure if passive skills are possible, but there is probably a way to give physical resistance via a skill and/or temporary armor similar to fortify that would be 0 AP, have a long duration, and be useable once per encounter. In GM mode, the GM could always give the character "armor" and resistances as they see fit as well. That might actually be the best solution.

To get the most authentic feeling D&D game in DOS2 is probably going to take several mods working in conjunction as well as a hands on GM to help simulate certain aspects though. It won't ever be 100% but, with the right mods, it can be close enough for most I think.

As long as it has the classes and the spells I don't see why not. I'm expecting this mod with hype laugh

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Noctro, thanks for your enthusiasm; havent had a whole lot of time to dedicate to the mod this last week, but did manage to find some time this afternoon and added nine new skills. I mainly spent my time figuring out how to further customize status effects, to much success, though.

Last edited by Ghatt; 17/10/17 02:24 AM.
veteran
veteran
Hey Noctro, thanks for your enthusiasm; havent had a whole lot of time to dedicate to the mod this last week, but did manage to find some time this afternoon and added nine new skills. I mainly spent my time figuring out how to further customize status effects, to much success, though.

Much success? Please do elaborate. What did you do?

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline

Nothing too major yet, just figured out how to place custom variables in new statuses such as the +20% dodge for mage armor. It'll let me make some cool buffs and other stuff, which I'm pretty jazzed about.

veteran
veteran

Nothing too major yet, just figured out how to place custom variables in new statuses such as the +20% dodge for mage armor. It'll let me make some cool buffs and other stuff, which I'm pretty jazzed about.

Awesome!

veteran
veteran
I'm really curious: which conversion rules are you applying? spells, for example?

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm really curious: which conversion rules are you applying? spells, for example?

Hey, not 100% sure what you're asking, but I'm mostly taking inspiration from 5e and Pathfinder. It's not a perfect translation, and I'm including some things that aren't necessarily pulled from D&D as well.

DOS 2 and D&D are very different systems. Spell damage in D&D is pretty set, with some variances depending on spell slots and some other stuff, with DOS 2 being scaled to level and whatnot. Also, in order to work with smarmbots Armor Based Saving Throw Mod I'm not creating new damaging statuses or debuffs, so for some spells we're at DOS 2's mercy, while others are alot more customizable. D&D has set number values, DOS 2 scales pretty much everything. Two very different beasts under the hood.

It's kind of a case by case basis with me making some snap judgement calls for quite a bit of it. When I get it all done and released, I'll definitely be taking some feedback to improve upon it.

veteran
veteran
I was thinking of something more like...
D&D spells of level 1, 2, 3: 1 AP
4, 5, 6: 2 AP

etc

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
I was considering something like that and/or progressively higher memory requirements. Right now, I've got it all using 2ap and 1 memory slot, but they're mostly placeholder values at this point.

veteran
veteran
I was considering something like that and/or progressively higher memory requirements. Right now, I've got it all using 2ap and 1 memory slot, but they're mostly placeholder values at this point.

Of course, memory slots are also an extra variable.

Link Copied to Clipboard