Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635053 01/11/17 06:31 PM
R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Hello all,

I welcome you and would like to introduce you (or welcome you back, if you are an avid D&D adventurer) to the ToMb Of HoRrOrs!

For those not familiar, I am porting the classic campaign from WOTC and Gary Gygax (whom owns all the story content, and I am merely a hyped fan) into the Divinity editor. Technically, this is the whole campaign Return to the Tomb of Horrors, so that the dungeon crawl has story, and not just a once off.

The Tomb of Horrors : Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt. It is filled with terrible traps and not a few strange and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. It is filled with rich treasures both precious and magical, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, there is said to be a demi-lich who still wards his final haunt. (Be warned that tales told have it that this being possesses powers which make him nearly undefeatable!) Accounts relate that it is quite unlikely that any adventurers will ever find the chamber where the demi-lich Acererak lingers, for the passages and rooms of the Tomb are fraught with terible traps, poison gases, and magical protections. Furthermore, the demi-lich has so well hidden his lair, that even those who avoid the pitfalls will not be likely to locate their true goal. So only large and well-prepared parties of the bravest and strongest should even consider the attempt, and if they do locate the Tomb, they must be prepared to fail. Any expedition must be composed of characters of high level and varied class. They must have magical protections and weapons, and equip themselves with every sort of device possible to insure their survival.

NOTE: Still very much so a WIP

EDIT: Special thanks go out to fellow map contributor, Morgeth.

Last edited by RestingLichFace; 16/01/18 08:13 PM.

Projects: Tomb of Horrors: Tomb of Horrors
old hand
old hand
Old school! I would love to play something like this. laugh

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Windemere
Old school! I would love to play something like this. laugh

I'd like to thank you for your playlist of editor tutorials - they are what got me (and this project) up and running.

M
M
very cool idea

M
M
Originally Posted by RestingLichFace
...there is said to be a demi-lich who still wards his final haunt.[/b]

I'm not gonna play this whole mod, only to found out that there is no demi-lich and it was just a rumour. So can you confirm that there will be a demi-lich in the tomb, or not? silly

Okay jokes aside, gonna be interesting to see how this porting will progress.

There are already some threads relating to porting D&D, maybe they can be of interest.

DND 5E Conversion

DnD inspired skills mod

MAHak #635130 02/11/17 12:24 AM
R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Thanks for the resources. It's a D&D setting - there's no getting around having to implement some new skills/items/gameplay. As for D&D skills, I have not thought too much about them, to be honest. A good chunk of skills already have an adequate counterpart in Divinity, but certainly could add more original D&D skills. The first challenge is to port as much as I can over, then worry about the clean up.

It's a tough choice, since the base gameplay is great on its own - we all bought the game. I may very well end up releasing 2 versions - one using only the skills granted in Divinity, the other would be much closer to a D&D experience.

However, I'm an old schooler, and I found the 5e D&D to be a bit... non-threatening. Not that it's bad, but there just isn't as much customization as I would like, as in say, 3.5e (which the pdf I am using is written for).

Finally, what kind of demi-lich builds a tomb and just leaves? I'd suggest replacing your head slot with the Head of Vecna. Let the knowledge God lead the way.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Update 1: Smoothly coming along with about 1/5 of the Tomb's innards. Some of the traps make me think, "how the bloody hell is that going to be scripted"

Super challenging trying to make it as close to the original.

journeyman
journeyman
Hah, the challenge is part of the fun. Looking forward to this.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Progress photo -
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RestingLichFace; 08/11/17 06:29 AM.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Update 2: I'd wager 80% of tomb itself is functionally complete, but ugly and in need of decoration. Then there's the story driving the campaign, which admittedly has not been touched at all... Will include another spoiler-photo or video of progress once I get at least a nice and clean skeleton going.

old hand
old hand
Sounds good. For me, decorating can be both be fun and challenging to make feel unique. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on that. smile

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
A
stranger
stranger
A
Man can't wait to see your work.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Sorry, I've been busy as hell with other shit. I'll try to get a working video set tonight

Nothing fancy, just the working part of the main inner level.

EDIT - If I had a working screen capture program >.<

Last edited by RestingLichFace; 16/12/17 04:22 AM.

old hand
old hand
Happy New Year. I've been using either built in NVIDIA shadowplay for capture, or open broadcaster software when doing tutorials since it provides better controls. Looking forward to getting some teasers on this. smile

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Happy new year, and I'll just preface this with 'long Jewish holiday season' - I have had arguably too much idle time, not doing much of anything.

As for the video capture, NVidia shadowplay is a nightmare. Overlays which sometimes work for select few games I have installed (even though they claim they are supported) and cannot even engage desktop mode. Sad part is the rig uses a GTX780M

Suffice to say, when I do get off my fat ass soon, I'll post a video through xsplit.

old hand
old hand
Cool, looking forward to it. Not easy to get up when your bones are frozen in sub-zero temperatures for two weeks. wink

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Update: project ramping up (ish). After freezing, a ton of chatting with other modders, and some time to contemplate my poor life choices, work on the tomb is slugging right along.

Special thanks go out to Morgeth, for helping to contribute maps to this campaign.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Time to resurrect from the dead again! Modding and life don't mix well.

R
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Update! It's been almost forever and a half. Here is a teaser of one of the hallways of the Tomb.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/FJZWGTq[/img]

Last edited by RestingLichFace; 31/07/18 02:55 AM.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Just started playing DIV II recently - First thing I do when I play any game of this type is look for any 'Old School' DnD campaigns. Glad to see someone working on Tomb, was a favorite of mine back in the day. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Falling trap looked great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard