Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I've just started to play D:OS2 with a group of friends (just hit the Fort Joy beach). I'm playing a 'Tank'y Fighter character, and I have some questions about Provoke (Taunt) ...

From what I've read, it's been almost universally panned, everyone says it's a waste of time and money to pick it up. But ... there was a fix in the 3.0.146.559 patch that says :[quote]Improved Taunting in favour of the Taunter[/quote] Has anyone (without Provoke Mod(s) ) tried it on that patch or later to see if it's better? If it is, how did they improve it? And is it worth getting now?

N0x Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It is still utter garbage.
To taunt an enemy, you need to strip him off his physical armor which is synonym of his already imminent death.
Plus the radius is really small.

It is almost always better to save your PA rather than taunting...

What they fixed is a small and rare issue where a taunted NPC did not attack the taunter.
Rather than "improve" the taunting, they fixed their code...
It is a bug fix, not a gameplay improvement. I like the way they put things.

Last edited by N0x; 02/11/17 08:22 PM.
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thank you sir for the quick reply!

So basically get the 'Improved Provoke' ignore Armor mod, or skip Provoke for now?

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Incarnates (from the Summoning school) always start with Provoke. Use that to get a feel of whether you want your main characters to learn/use Provoke. I like Provoke on summons because dead summons are more easily replaced than party members.

N0x Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Thank you sir for the quick reply!

So basically get the 'Improved Provoke' ignore Armor mod, or skip Provoke for now?

Yes.

I really hope they will fix all the bad/brokens skills in the game.
They are so many at the moment :'( !

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
even if it wasn't blocked by physical armor it'd still be pretty bad

a taunted enemy can run past whoever taunted them, approach another character entirely, and use an aoe spell to hit the second character, completely ignoring the taunter

they aren't technically "targeting" another character, so it works within the parameters of how this game processes taunt, but it makes it completely pointless. i've only ever used it on incarnates as an afterthought, and it's actually been useful probably enough times to count on one hand

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
All skills also need to be balanced for PvP. This is true for arena and also for the story (at some points you can brawl each other, theoretically you can leave your party at any point and backstab everything, if you want to).
Taunt is really really good in PvP. At least it was for me. I guess that piercing armour would be silly, since it is almost a hard CC.

Regarding PvE, well if there is no physical armour, I just cripple or knock down them. I guess that is why so many complain.

veteran
veteran
A soon as you can taunt somebody in PvP, you could knock him down aswell.

N0x Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
A soon as you can taunt somebody in PvP, you could knock him down aswell.

This ! 120% agreed.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Seems to be one of those skills that is mostly situational. I don't find myself using it all the time, but I can say it has saved some fights for me using it at the right time.

Example:
Turn Order is You, Enemy, Healer

All your skilled but Provoke are on cooldown. Unless you get a lucky critical hit, the enemy will get to kill your healer if you don't CC him.

Now this is very situational, but this seems to be where Provoke shines the most.... when you got nothing else to use. :P

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard