N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
"Game v3.0.150.188

Game Master mode
- Added support for multi-region levels in GM mode:
-- If level contains several region triggers buttons will appear on minimap allowing to switch between them"

What is this exactly? I understand it as: you can make players switch between maps through object interaction? Or is it something else?

Originally Posted by Nedrapter

you can make players switch between maps through object interaction? Or is it something else?

That you could do before. But GM didn't had ability to transfer between regions on his own. Now he has as well without any need to click on interactive items.

This way levels for GM mode may be designed without explicit way to transfer between regions since GM will be able to switch between them on his own, decorate them and drag players there.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Okay that's new to me. How can you link levels for players? and how do I change to the new levels without dragging players with me?

Originally Posted by Nedrapter

-- If level contains several region triggers buttons will appear on minimap allowing to switch between them"

as its noted in the patch note. Level should contain additional level triggers. Please do not mistake it for connecting levels without loading.
Divinity Engine 2 allows to create level consist of several regions. For example you have a tavern with 2 floors. In editor you create both floors on the same level and assign region triggers to them (how to do that you can find in modding section). In normal designed level those regions would be connected with stairs object but clicking which you would be transferred to next region - you can see that in main story a lot.

Before patch Game master had to click same interactive object to transfer too. Since some level design can presume regions to be not connected via such objects Game Master suffered from ability to transfer between such regions. Now that issue is solved.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
So I have to use the editor to connect levels through triggers? If I'm just using the GM mode through the game, can I connect -let's say- a forest map and a cave map through an entrance object that players can interact with?
Or does that require editor again?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Always you can load a new scene (level), but you will leave the current level and teleport the whole group including GM to the other level. This you of course can do in the GM mode. Without editor. in DOS always all players (and GM) need to be in one level.
but you can create several different regions in one level. Players can be in different regions.
Most premade GM levels ( if not sllmof them so far) consist of only one region.

With the editor though you can create levels wih different regions you can travel without unloading the level. You could for example create with the editor one huge level and place several gm maps as different regions ( terrains / level templates). Though maybe not too much because of performance issues. The original campaign has pretty huge levels with several regions though.

I think this is alright now like it works.

Last edited by morez; 26/10/17 06:33 PM.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I see, now it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Due to the fact that all maps in the GM mode had 1 region only, I had linked "region" to "level" in my mind. Unfortunately I don't have the experience or the time to make decent stuff with the editor, so I'm just using the ready maps plus some from mods. I was hoping to making transitions between those maps with interactive objects such as hatches, cave entrance etc. However since they are all different levels , I see now it's impossible. I will wait for some mod with a level that includes regions then.

E
stranger
stranger
E
IS what Nedrapter saying impossible? I'm really trying to follow this thread but I'm still unclear on a few things you guys are saying. Just as he is/was I need to know what you consider a "level" and "region". Below I'm going to refer to the different areas as "maps".

Lets just say I have no experience with the editor but I want to a Gm map I have called "village center" and place a door on a building that will link it to another gm map I'm using called "tavern floor 1". Where a player would click the door and load into the tavern map by themselves without other players or GM following and be in new area?
This new tavern map would have 2 transitions in it. One on the door to go back to village center and one on the stairs to link to another map called "tavern floor 2" this is possible? are you saying that as long a I have the maps already I just need to learn how to make these transitions in editor to do this or is there more to it.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
That's exactly what I was looking for too. Unfortunately from the replies here, I understood it's only possible with the editor. The "linked areas" have to be on the same map, but a bit further (with black empty space in between them). There are no such linked arenas in the ready maps.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Too bad. So basically this is a teleport feature from spot to spot on the same map and the rest of the illusion is up to you to make? Not as cool as it would be without a useful fog of war system...

I haven't played much with the editor but my question now is: Is it possible to open up premade "tavern floor1" expand it out and copy/paste all of premade "tavern floor2" into it? or will i have to start with a small map and make all these new regions manually.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard