Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So I've been trying to solve this little issue all day. One level of mine began to load really sluggish and slow after I did a full AI regen. When I say slow, it usually takes about 2-3 minutes every time I reload the level, and only this particular level.

I've tried the following things;

-Reinstalling all of DOS2 and Editor.
- Removing all Story Goals related to the level.
- Going through every item, scenery, trigger, light, etc in the world outliner to try and find any item that may be an outliar off-map. Caught up with all of Stranger Things season 2 thanks to this little chore.
- Made a copy of the level, and another empty sandbox, trying both a copy and a level template and regen a full ai there, all tests result in slow loading times.

Do you guys have any other ideas? I'd rather not spend a few days copying the important bits over and halfway remaking the level.

old hand
old hand
Does it happen both in the editor and in game?

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yep

old hand
old hand
Is there anything in the log when loading the level that shows what the game is "working on" while you're waiting?

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, plenty! I've made several copies of the level and deleting stuff, trying to locate what ever culprit cause the problems.

[Linked Image]

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Why it complains about items on another level, I've got no idea. I've done a gazillion tests, the only action that seems to solve it is to delete the main terrain and do a full regen. Deleting every other item but the terrain and doing a regen does nothing. So as far as I can tell, the terrain is the issue, somehow.

old hand
old hand
Yikes. Did that all start at once or have these kinds of warnings increased over time?

The one that jumps out to me most is that AIGrid::ProcessFloodHeap. Sounds like a memory exhaustion issue if the term is being used in typical software jargon.

"Trying to RegisterForgetEffect nullptr effect" is also pretty bad sounding.

Don't even know where to begin really with all those warnings. Sounds like something fundamentally broken, corrupted, or pushing this tool beyond its limits. frown

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm gonna try to backup the main terrain and delete it, make a new one and to a regen. See if things are ok then, and just remake the terrain. Bit of work, but not as much as remaking the whole thing.

Hi there,

How big is this level? We did run into some issues related to map size in RC_Main, so keeping your map smaller than that is a good rule of thumb.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's smaller than that. It's about 2/3 of Fort Joy.

Are you running out of RAM or loading the level from a slow hard drive?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Got 64BG ram, running on an SSD.

Well that ought to be plenty! If you can't find a solution I can take a look if you send me the following folders (as a .zip or .rar):
- Data/Mods/YourMod
- Data/Editor/Mods/YourMod
- Data/Public/YourMod
- Data/Projects/YourMod

Though I won't be able to fix it any time soon, I might be able to tell you why your load performance is so poor.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Alright I'll drop you a link in PM with the backup I did prior to reinstall. The level in this case is "DC_FTJ_Isles". (Will take some time to upload)

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The part that boggles my mind is that I have larger maps than this loading at normal speeds. So there is 'something' holding it down, just can't pinpoint what.

Everything worked fine one moment, go to bed, next morning I add two rocks and a boat, and do a full regen and suddenly it boggles down.

Last edited by The Composer; 09/11/17 05:19 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It could seem potentially it didn't like having two large waterplanes on top of eachother (to make the ships sail, bottom being walkable), I'm trying with 1 terrain 1 plane instead now.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Alright, can close the thread. Solved it after about 18 hours of debugging, trial and errors. I suspect there was a stray AI seeder from a level template causing issues. The problem initially began after doing a full regen with recently imported and exploded level templates which contained AI seeders. Deleting all the AI seeders, doing a full regen and placing new seeders from scratched made everything load smooth and fast again!

journeyman
journeyman
Nice, glad you didn't lose your level. Is looking good.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It all turned out for the better, through the process, I made a few ocean textures that wasn't available as root templates, so got much nicer caribbean-like water now \o/

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard