Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The original release of the game had a small laundry-list of fundamental problems, but I haven't actually seen any of them specifically addressed by the developers, I've mostly seen consolization fare.

Is any of them actually being fixed?

veteran
veteran
I don't think so.

The rebalanced some fights and skills/traits, tough no talking are in-depth-changes to mechanics as it seems.

They are adressing the insane scaling, I heard.

addict
addict
It would be a waste of a DE if they don't fix all the issues and problems. A real shame.

journeyman
journeyman
Yes, it would be. Unfortunately I don't believe they are fixing particularly many of the core issues within the game though. Maybe we'll learn differently upon launch. But doubtful - most of the changes seem focused on fixing the story for act 3 onwards.

S
addict
addict
S
Seems to me your laundry list of fundamental problems are far from fundamental and that your way of perceiving the game stem from a sense of entitlement. This is made obvious when you don't even bother to list a single issue here and instead link to a ranty post that well over a 30 minute read to suffer through (or over an hour if you bother to click all the other links there). The first specific issue you raised about the bone window has been patched many months ago. The rest TLDR.

veteran
veteran
Don't argue about stuff, if you are to lazy to even read it.

The Bone spider issue was a side note at best.

journeyman
journeyman
If you bothered to finish reading the sentence about the bone widow you'd know it was used as an example of something too specific to address.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Read the entire post you linked and you make a lot of good points there. Looks like I need to buy and play the first DOS.. that attribute system difference is crazy.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Seems to me your laundry list of fundamental problems are far from fundamental and that your way of perceiving the game stem from a sense of entitlement.

you've just described most of the vocal complaints on this forum

A
addict
addict
A
Eh ~~ I've had the game since EA, but could never get past ACT 1 cause of all the core issues.

Will be giving the DE at least one full play through, but I highly doubt it's gonna fix anything since a lot of core the issues are intentional:

Ex. The Round Robin Initiative and useless Stats = More accessible to a wider audience and reviewers uninterested in learning the game in depth or having combat be more difficult because of build errors

Last edited by aj0413; 23/08/18 02:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by aj0413
Eh ~~ I've had the game since EA, but could never get past ACT 1 cause of all the core issues.

Yeah, my friend and I never got much farther, Driftwood in Act 2, then we just got to sick of it you could say. Not sure if we will give DE a second chance.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks Luckmann for this topic.
I was searching for this, not really hopeful.
It's sad really.
D:OS 2 will never be the game it could have been.
I'll try the D.E. edition, but don't think I will push it way further...

addict
addict
Well the changelog is out, most of it is nothing but dialogue related stuff in Arx, nothing about fixing...ya know, the core issues of the game. There is one mention of a "stat jump", the inflation in hp and dmg, but nothing else.

Nothing about lack of talents (one of my main issue) and a bunch of other stuff. Oh boy.

Last edited by UnderworldHades; 29/08/18 06:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sadly DOS degenerated to some kind of playable story, looking nice and impressive story, but totally lacking in the gameplay parts like combat.

Don't understand why there are even stat jumps.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Sadly DOS degenerated to some kind of playable story, looking nice and impressive story, but totally lacking in the gameplay parts like combat.

Don't understand why there are even stat jumps.

have you even played through the entire game?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by miaasma
have you even played through the entire game?

No, he says (just a few posts above, in fact) he never got "much past Driftwood". He posts with a surprising amount of authority about a game he had no interest in finishing.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i just wanted to know what would motivate somebody to type over a thousand posts on a forum bashing a video game he has not even played halfway through

criticism is fine, but appearing out of the woodwork in every other thread to type about how bad this game you haven't even finished is gets tiresome

veteran
veteran
Why do I need to finish the game? Does the combat system or character developement somehow magical change after Act 2, does the AI suddenly get smarter? Most of the flaws of the combat system, was already predicatable during EA. The Attribute system was even worse at that time. The core problem of the game is, you don't need to play it fully to grasp all those basic flaws. Many others are easily devirable by reading and making logical conclusions.

I don't know, if Larian really did read everything, but I suppose my amount of posts proves, that is pretty much did. wink

Honestly my friend and I did not like the story that much from the get go, the 'Competative' aspect totally ruins the 'cooperative' feeling, for which we liked the first game. And as far as I read, the story gets even worse later on, so there is not a huge inclination to finish even because of the story.

addict
addict
Why do I need to finish the game? Does the combat system or character developement somehow magical change after Act 2, does the AI suddenly get smarter? Most of the flaws of the combat system, was already predicatable during EA. The Attribute system was even worse at that time. The core problem of the game is, you don't need to play it fully to grasp all those basic flaws. Many others are easily devirable by reading and making logical conclusions.

I don't know, if Larian really did read everything, but I suppose my amount of posts proves, that is pretty much did. wink

Honestly my friend and I did not like the story that much from the get go, the 'Competative' aspect totally ruins the 'cooperative' feeling, for which we liked the first game. And as far as I read, the story gets even worse later on, so there is not a huge inclination to finish even because of the story.

In base game (not def), the combat imo gets worse bc of the inflation of hp and dmg. And for me and my gf (we do co-op), we need to have a balanced team of magic and phys dmg bc half the enemies in the game will have "1k phys armor, 200 magic", cuz lul. And vice versa, Yeah, we could do all physical and beat down that 1k physical, but why bother? The game is unbalanced in multiple aspects when it comes to magic, and in original it got worse as it went on due to "stat jumps".

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M

it's just weird to me that you find your subjective problems with this game to be so fundamental and worth repeating over an extended period when you can't even be bothered to finish the game

if it's so bad that you couldn't finish it, what are you doing here?

what constructive help could you possibly be at this point? why not just forget about it, since it's obvious this game simply isn't for you?
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades

In base game (not def), the combat imo gets worse bc of the inflation of hp and dmg. And for me and my gf (we do co-op), we need to have a balanced team of magic and phys dmg bc half the enemies in the game will have "1k phys armor, 200 magic", cuz lul. And vice versa, Yeah, we could do all physical and beat down that 1k physical, but why bother? The game is unbalanced in multiple aspects when it comes to magic, and in original it got worse as it went on due to "stat jumps".

you don't need to have a split team in the base game. in fact, doing so makes the game harder

because of how damage values scale, higher physical armor and low magic armor doesn't really make any difference if you spec your team properly because your damage output will be far too high for any armor value to matter, and this just becomes more true the further into the game you go (which is why combat gets progressively easier)

the game certainly suffers from combat issues later in the game but they aren't the problems you're mentioning. most of the problem with magic was the arbitrarily high resistances to it, with no real equivalent existing for physical damage, thus solidifying physical damage as having an overall superior output

Last edited by miaasma; 30/08/18 10:47 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard