Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Really looking forward to the Definitive Edition. However, I bought the game before I decided to switch to using Linux as my OS of choice. It seems the original version is finally working in Wine, according to some folks on the WineDB page. This makes me beyond happy, of course. If the Definitive Edition has native Linux support, I guarantee there will be others who will be very happy about this. I remember noticing several people saying they'd buy the game the day you supported Linux, and others for Mac. And since D:OS2 was stated to be in the same engine as D:OS EE, it shouldn't be that hard, right? Once the game itself is fully polished, of course.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hi,

About Wine, let's say it: it's shit. Of course it works from time to time but it's not a solution. I tried for years to make Windows game working on Linux, only a few times it was working and I was happy. Most of the time it was pain, scream, cry and tears in the eyes.

I'm a linux user since 10 years now, but I still keep a computer with Windows at least in a dual boot to play, because it is the best way to play on PC. Since Steam on Linux well it helped, a lot. I hope to see D:OS2 on Linux (and Mac) of course.

You think that's not "that hard" to make the game Linux complient, I guess this is partially true. Larian did it for D:OS, and D:OS2 use the same engine if I'm not wrong so yeah probably a big part of the job is done. But...

They have to test it, the whole game, again, for a specific OS, even two, it's a ton of works.
Of course they did this for console, but I'm pretty sure they are far more working on console than on Linux and Mac (who doesn't need money ? A lot of peoples using console seems to wait D:OS2).

It's not easy to do what they need to make the game works on Linux, for example there is a lot of Linux distribution with different release of different software that might use D:OS2 and make it not working on a CentOS 7 (for example) and works perfectly fine for the last Ubuntu.

So, I think and I am maybe wrong, that Linux and Mac will be out (if they ever) a few times after the definitive edition coming the 31th August.

Stay patient, I'm sure one day...

Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I mostly play older games, so Wine usually works pretty darn well for me. More likely to go for a VM than keep my dual-boot around indefinitely, since it's a real pain to have to keep rebooting all the damn time, and, as I said, mostly older games, and the indie games I want to play that don't run on Linux are less likely to take too much to reasonably run in a VM. Still, native support is always the goal, and encouraging that as much as humanly possible is never a bad idea. One thought: I'll buy games that I can play in Wine or a VM only on massive (70%+) sales. Games with native Linux support, I'll gladly pay full price for day 1.

journeyman
journeyman
According to the last kickstarter update, they're working on ports to other plattforms. So a Linux release is possible, but hasnt been announced yet.

Quote:
"We’ll obviously continue to support the game with patches and we are still working on ports to other platforms, but content wise we’ll be moving on to new things."

Source

Last edited by kcnik; 29/08/18 06:18 PM.

[Insert something funny here]
Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Fair. With any luck it'll happen sooner rather than later. FWIW, I do think it's reasonably likely to happen eventually. Larian has been damn good about going above and beyond in the past. It's why I've had no reservations about giving them money even for things like the early access version of D:OS2. So the kickstarter update quote there carries a lot more weight for me than would even a more definitive statement from most other devs.

A
stranger
stranger
A
+1

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
+1

M
stranger
stranger
M
+1. Not really much more to say, just that I'm still interested in the linux version

stranger
stranger
Just noting that I'd be happy to send Larian more money if they create a native Linux version.

stranger
stranger
I've bought the game but playing it through wine is hit and miss. I'd love a Linux version and would be willing to send Larian more money, too! (Kickstarter, donation, special penguin DLC pet? .. whatever!)

A
stranger
stranger
A
There was this answer on an email regarding the topic in _July_ of 2018

> "There have not been any announcement confirming or excluding a Linux port at this time."

Maybe somebody (else) could write another email to Larian Studios and ask for a Linux port. That might have a bigger impact than postings in this forum…

old hand
old hand
I'd love a linux version. D:OS-1 ran pretty well under linux once they fixed all the bugs. For myself - i have a single 'game' windows box at home but all my other computers are linux. I use linux for everything but games that require windows.
-
Of course I can understand that most developers growing up today are not exposed to linux and the linux market is currently quite small. I guess one of the problem is a catch-22 you need linux games for users to drop windows but as long as major games only support windows ... it will remain an issue. Of course linux saves a lot of $$$ for home users (i put my parents on lniux and they adopted and it is so much easier for me to fix their issues when they ahve them so it is a win win); also saved me $200 in ms license. Oh well.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I would also like a Mac version for D:OS 2
I've been saying it since the beginning but hoping they would eventually do it, but I've lost hope.

stranger
stranger
When Apple presented the latest MacBook Air in September or October (or around that time), they showcased how you could connect an external GPU to play games and the picture on the laptop was from D:OS 2. A few hours later, Larian announced on their Twitter that a Mac version was planned for Q1 2019. You can actually just Google "Divinity original sin 2 macos" and find what I just said.

A
stranger
stranger
A
https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_2
Says that DOS2 is running on MacOS!

So it should not be far from a Linux version then!

Ah yes, and there is https://www.gog.com/forum/divinity_original_sin_2/mac_version_crash_on_startup

Last edited by asmo123; 31/01/19 09:14 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by asmo123
https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_2
Says that DOS2 is running on MacOS!

So it should not be far from a Linux version then!

Since MacOS no longer supports OpenGL and Linux relies more and more on Vulkan, it might not be that easy anymore. But only Larian can judge that. A native Linux port would be fantastic.

Regardless of that, D:OS2 seems to run quite well under Proton. It has silver on ProtonDB and many Linux users seem to be happy with this solution:

https://www.protondb.com/app/435150

The problem is: this isn't official. Maybe D:OS2 could get on Valve's white list? It already has titles like Nier: Automata, which runs very nicely on Proton. I have had very good experiences with Proton so far. I haven't tried D:OS2 yet. I haven't bought it yet. I am a bit unsure because it is not officially supported.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by PixelPi

Regardless of that, D:OS2 seems to run quite well under Proton. It has silver on ProtonDB and many Linux users seem to be happy with this solution:

Can I use Proton w/o Steam? Otherwise that would be a no-go! I guess that it's not open source, am I right?[

Last edited by asmo123; 01/02/19 11:23 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Here's the (complete) email I sent to and (complete) email I received from larian regarding a Linux port.
For me that sounds like "There will be no Linux port!"

Re: Linux version of Divinity: Original Sin 2
Von:
Larian Support
26.03.2019 um 02:15 Uhr

There still have not been any announcements of other ports.
There are more small content updates planned (like the additional character creation options added in the last game update), which will include bug fixes, though the main focus is now on other projects.

Raze

On Tue, 26 Mar at 3:35 AM , [my name/email address] wrote:

Hello,

eight months have passed since my last inquiry, that's quite some time… Please tell me if are any decisions have been made regarding a Linux port of D:OS 2!
The MacOS port was released. I guess that means that you are not occupied that much with fixing bugs anymore, right?

I'm looking forward to your reply.
[my name]

I'd like to add that the (again) not quite friendly (form of) reply does speak volumes.

Last edited by asmo123; 26/03/19 07:49 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by asmo123
Originally Posted by PixelPi

Can I use Proton w/o Steam? Otherwise that would be a no-go! I guess that it's not open source, am I right?[

Proton is fully open source if you want to try and get it working on your own: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

That said, Steam supports running non-steam games with Proton and Lutris should be able to setup Proton for you now, though I'm not sure there's an installer for DOS2 in Lutris using Proton instead of a custom WINE build.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hello Ellandor,

that sounds interesting! I'll have a look into that.

However, I will not buy D:OS2 when Larian treats me - a customer (D:OS1-EE Linux) - like a pain in the ass when I'm asking if they made a decision about a Linux port. I can not explain this other than that there will (anyways) not be a Linux port and that they got annoyed about people asking…

I have some games that do not run well (or at all) with 'plain' Wine so Proton might help in those cases. There is an ebuild (kind of "install script" being part of a repository) for Gentoo GNU/Linux regarding Lutris https://gpo.zugaina.org/games-util/lutris (by Gentoo) and another for Proton https://gpo.zugaina.org/app-emulation/wine-proton (in a custom repository).

Last edited by asmo123; 27/03/19 10:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard