Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Look at Call of Duty that has their SP, MP etc. as seperate DLC so you can toggle them on and off.
As is, having both Classic and DE under the same install lead to just one conclusion for me;

Uninstall Divinity: Original Sin II?
Yes.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
what?

when you launch the game you're given the option to play either the classic version or the definitive edition

am i misunderstanding? what is the complaint here?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
70gb space instead of just 30-35gb (especially if you have no intention of playing other version anymore)
confusion with saves (and using the same auto- quick- saves slots for both versions that may lead to data loss)
workshop that mix DE and classic mods that'll make it harder to search later when they'll release definitive editor...

well...I can see why OP may complain.

Last edited by SlynxJewel; 02/09/18 05:43 AM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
there's no confusion with saves, classic saves work on classic and definitive saves work on definitive

the rest of your post is nonsense

i'd like the OP to clarify their complaint since, unless i'm misunderstanding, they think they're being forced to play DE, which is not true

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by miaasma
there's no confusion with saves, classic saves work on classic and definitive saves work on definitive

there is.
we've started our DE campaign on 31. and after a while auto and qucksaves reached limit and started overwriting my classic autosaves that were apparently in the same folder. so when I've returned to classic to finish my solo campaign I found that I've lost some of my progress because I had no idea it'll be overwritten.

rest of my post are also not nonsense. 35gb may not seem much for some people, but others may have limited space(for example my laptop has only 512gb ssd which I can't replace or expand easily)
and mods are QoL thing. (if you don't use them it doesn't mean others don't)

I don't think OP is forced to play DE, cuz he clearly said that he has both classic and de installed. so I think he knows that he can choose what version to launch.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yes, doesn't mean I want them both installed, wasting everyone's space.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
people on this forum truly do complain about the strangest things

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Nobody is forcing you to comment here. If you don't mind having 35GB of dead weight, hey, more power to you. Me, that's a bit too much.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by miaasma
people on this forum truly do complain about the strangest things
What is strange about it?

A game that needs 20GB (the DE) requiring another 30 GB for an old version of the game you don't play?

I don't have a cap on internet (some people do though don't forget) but my download speeds are slow. I also only have a 120GB SSD and 30GB of pointless unused stuff is a lot.

How is that a strange complaint? Not everyone has huge amounts of dasd and uncapped fibre. It takes unwanted space and (if you were to reinstall not just upgrade) unwanted bandwidth and time.

It wouldn't (didn't) stop me playing it as you can delete the old "data" folder but it would be better all round if the games were separate like DOS and DOS EE were.

Not to mention the most important thing promised has not been done (inventory management on PC), no change log has been published (except leaked ones that have not been completed) and complete silence from Larian about any of the bugs reported (including whether deleting the old "Data" folder is valid to save space) make it a rather disappointing patch.

It isn't a bad patch, there are some nice changes, but they are undocumented and frankly minor. The disk use one though is a perfectly valid complaint for those of us not on top-notch (OK, in my case, crap) hardware.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i am playing the tiniest violin for people complaining about a free update including a rewrite of a whole act of the game because of "disk space"

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yes, we already knew you were a petty troll, now please go away?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
a petty troll post for a petty troll thread i'd say

veteran
veteran
Wow, you are really against any kind of reasonable critique it seems. laugh

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i'm just against lazily produced critiques that amount to little more than entitlement and whining

aka all 1600 of your posts

you'll notice there are plenty of threads pointing out reasonable criticisms of the game i don't comment on. it's far from a perfect game

i just call out whiny babies like you

Last edited by miaasma; 03/09/18 01:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm going to side with Hassat Hunter on this one. It's not a great idea to force the customer to install an extra 20 GB of stuff which is only there for the Classic edition and is not applicable to the DE.

Because it was not a fresh install, but an update, I got screwed over for a while because in the year+ since I first installed the DOS 2 alpha, the HD I was using had filled up, and I couldn't actually get the DE to work and could not figure out why until I checked and realized it wasn't on the drive I had thought it was.

I also couldn't tell Steam to just shift my DOS 2 installation to a drive with more space because "Can't move the game, an update is required". I had to delete other stuff to first free up enough space.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Yeah anyone attacking or insulting for staying having both together is a bad idea, is a dick. It's unnecessary to download an additional 20g for no reason. Especially because the first dos had a seperate ee edition.

veteran
veteran
Such a selection screen might be usefull for selecting between the first and the second game if both are installed, but for selecting between Origin and DE is just pointless and annoying, if it forces you to keep both versions installed. People will tend to either play the one or the other, hardly both, because for the most part they are the same game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just to voice another point of view (not that I really want to participate to this charming conversation) some of us are actually happy that this game is only one ID, because it avoids having double achievements, and having an "unfinished game" if you didn't go through it the first time (which was my case).

I know, it's a lame thing to be happy for, but hey, each of us cares about different things.
I concur they could put a system to choose if you want to install either one of them.
Games like GTA or WoW take so much space than D:OS is still "okay".

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
GTA V takes less than D:OS2 now AFAIK.

That's why I was pointing at the option to make both versions "DLC" so you can switch them on and off, without having to manually dig into files and potentially delete the wrong ones.
If you want one? That's possible. Want the other? Possible. Both? Possible. Just not required.

I doubt GOG has both versions installed with it's installer, does it?
A new ID isn't necessary entirely, but having a way not to DL/install a 30GB deadweight? Yeah, that should have been there. And it wouldn't be too difficult to add rather than having people instruct to delete stuff manually (Or DL all this before deleting it in the first place).

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Gog does download both versions, I had to delete 30gig of files!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard