M
fair enough

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by miaasma
fair enough
I think you would have a better reception on Steam forums than here.

These forums are for suggestions and ideas rather than nastiness.

Everyone has their ideas - there is no need to "call them out" for their "entitlement".

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i don't post here for reception from other posters, i post here to give feedback on a feedback forum

if your complaint stems from entitlement - and a lot do - then you might as well hear it from someone instead of waiting with bated breath for it to be acknowledged by a dev

by your logic, there's no need to call me out for my "nastiness"

journeyman
journeyman
I wonder if there is a business/marketing (or technical) perspective as to why the game is listed under one name rather than two on Steam? I would imagine from a Steam search perspective, not having to start your review feedback from scratch could be beneficial to the Steam Store algorithms? It might make key redeeming easier? I'm presuming now that anyone who buys the Steam edition now gets both versions which I don't believe was the case with the D:OS:EE. (But I could be wrong)

I do feel that if they could, it would be beneficial to have classic as a optional DLC that can be uninstalled, but I would be interested to hear a response from someone who understands the Steam and GOG architecture as to the reasons why they felt supplying only the full package was the best course before .

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The D:OS steampackage contains both Classic and DOS:EE, so no that's not it. It's very easy to have a single purchase enable 2 games.

Benefits of a single install: The reviews stay I suppose. That might be it? Less listings in your library of games.
Benefits of 2 games: People don't have to install a ton of deadweight, another set of Trading cards (= money for devs), another listing under "new releases" being PR. People get a +1 wink

So... beats me. It seems the 2 games system got way more benefits than the current one, so yeah, I also wonder why they did as they did.

journeyman
journeyman
Wait, is the point that you have to have both classic and Definitive installed together, or nothing at all? So you end up wasting hard drive space on a version you don't intend to play?

If that's the case, then yes it is an issue that should be fixed. Especially with more affordable SSDs having limited storage compared to old HDDs, 35BG is nothing to dismiss. Wasted space is wasted space. Especially with Steam's archaic updating process requiring free space equal the entire size of a game regardless of how small the update is.

For example, for Total War Warhammer 2, I once downloaded a 109mb update and had to clear up something like 80GB of free space just to patch it. Even though it only changed a few smaller files. Ridiculous.

Data bloating like this isn't good form, especially since it's not always along the lines of "just this one game" because the more developers that do this, the more the problem is compounded.

Or am I getting it wrong? I admit I started skimming because some of the posts looked to be taking a toxic tone.

The autosave/quicksave loss is obviously an issue that should be resolved as well.

Last edited by BoogieMan; 08/09/18 05:54 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by BoogieMan
Wait, is the point that you have to have both classic and Definitive installed together, or nothing at all? So you end up wasting hard drive space on a version you don't intend to play?

Yes

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Originally Posted by BoogieMan

Yes
Well you can delete the old game directory.

If you redownload you need to clear space for the lot and then download it all and delete what you don't want.

Not ideal but perhaps there was a commercial reason.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The downside of that is I'm pretty sure if the game is patched, it'll redownload the missing 35GB all over again before you can play again smirk

Originally Posted by Linio

Games like GTA or WoW take so much space than D:OS is still "okay".

Actually, my DOS 2 folder is now larger than my WoW folder by about 3 gigs ... To me it seems pretty presumptuous to assume that larger downloads and/or requiring double the disk space wouldn't be significant problems for numerous players. For me personally it really raises fish or cut bait issues.

As someone who prefers to play magic users and dislikes "physical vs. magical armor" as a party-composition driver (on top of disliking the game's depiction of cruelty to animals and creation of a canon hero for Divine Divinity), I set it aside after playing through Fort Joy several times, but didn't delete it in order to leave the door open for changes in either my outlook or Larian's game. I now have to ask myself, do I really want to devote over 60 gigs to a game I'm unsure I'll play.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard