Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Divinity 3 with Dark Souls style combat.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by virumor

Oh God no. Divinity 2 was bad enough (though a fair bit easier once it became DKS) and may still hold the record for the most times I have died. I suspect anything influenced by Dark Souls would likely see my PC thrown out of the window within about 10 minutes of playing.

J'aime le fromage.
cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by vometia

Oh God no. Divinity 2 was bad enough (though a fair bit easier once it became DKS) and may still hold the record for the most times I have died. I suspect anything influenced by Dark Souls would likely see my PC thrown out of the window within about 10 minutes of playing.

Dark souls is not at all difficult game.Once you understand the system it becomes natural to play it.

But Larian could also make games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon Age: Inqusition?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by cyseal
Dark souls is not at all difficult game.Once you understand the system it becomes natural to play it.

But Larian could also make games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon Age: Inqusition?

I'm not generally very adept at "getting" that sort of thing. Which may sound a bit odd for a programmer but sometimes stuff just doesn't click with me. Even the Original Sins give me enough aggravation.

I think Divinity 2 was already quite like Amalur and Inquisition in a lot of ways: was it something in particular you were thinking of?

J'aime le fromage.
cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline

I think Divinity 2 was already quite like Amalur and Inquisition in a lot of ways: was it something in particular you were thinking of?

Amalur had amazing gameplay and Tolkien inspired world-building.

enthusiast
enthusiast

My feelings are that it's gonna be another Divinity game for sure, certain clues give that away. I presume it will be another isometric game but I would like to see a proper Divinity 2:DKS sequel with dragon combat done right. Anyone remember Drakan: Order of the Flame?

My patience for hard games wears thin nowadays so I would have to agree with Vometia that anything with Dark Souls levels of difficulty, no wait frustration would likely see my hammer come out and a few bits of PC hardware may get broken...

Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't a bad game. Shame they never made the sequel and finished the story. Divinity 2 and Damian cough cough? Hint Hint?

Last edited by Arokh; 10/10/18 08:11 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe they could make different type of game, something like Pathfinder Kingmaker with real time gameplay. This would be very interesting in some wild fantasy setting and world.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Another crazy idea.
Colin McComb, who was working on Planescape Torment and Fallout 2, is now working at Larian.
He also wrote Dungeons and Dragons guidebooks like Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

So, maybe Larian hired him for either

veteran
veteran
New to this forum and not a fan of the D:OS games, but I really like Larian as a studio and believe Swen is arguably the best RPG studio CEO out there. So that's why I'm here with an interest in what might be next from Larian.

Going by Swen's own words that he wants to try new things and new directions after D:OS2, I truly hope he will put his and Larian's amazing talents into a new RPG IP that uses RTwP.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well the next two games will be the already announced Fallen Heroes which will bridge the gap between Original Sin 2 and the Dragon Knight Saga - well it will fit into the timeline at that point anyway. Fallen Heroes looks like it follows on from one of the endings of Original Sin 2 so that it would fit in with the backstory of DKS but having said that the events of Fallen Heroes plot could change DKS's backstory or even make the events of DKS impossible therefore retconning DKS out of the storyline altogether. I hope that's not the case but Larian's other game is not Divinity 3 / Dragon Knight Saga 2 which brings me on to the second point.

The other game that Larian is working on is not a Divinity game at all; in fact it looks like it will be Baldurs Gate 3 due to Larian purchasing the licence to the franchise some time back. Also the clue is in the metadata embedded in the video on Larian's front page. We will find out at E3 later this month.

So as for a Dragon Knight Saga sequel, this depends on what happens during Fallen Heroes but if any 'sequel' is released it will be a few years yet & it's likely to be called Original Sin 3 set after the events of DKS which will be explained in Original Sin 3's backstory.

Last edited by Arokh; 01/06/19 12:30 PM.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #652676 01/06/19 02:38 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm very surprised that there isn't any chatter here about the new game reveal.

Personally I am torn. On the one hand, that someone is making a new Baldur's Gate game, the RPG franchise I love more than any other, is just awesome. Plus, I am also in agreement that Larian is a studio that knows what it's doing when it comes to producing high quality games. And as I've said above, I also have a lot of respect for Swen Vincke.

But on the other hand, if this game has characteristics similar to the D:OS games, for example the type of humor, the cartoonish artwork, the unrealistic environmental reactivity, and of course especially if it does not strictly adhere to the core characteristics of the first two BG games - single-player focused, party-based, isometric, and most of all RTwP combat, then I would hate it and as a hardcore fan of the BG franchise be really pissed off.

So, in sum, I'm really nervous about this reveal.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah absolutely. Giving that Fallen Heroes is being made in collaboration with Logic Artists it seems that Larian have concentrated most of their staff into making the "Baldurs Gate 3" and contracted out the Divinity franchise. Which makes me think maybe that Larian could be done with the Divinity series now and Fallen Heroes could be the last Divinity game.

This would piss off a lot of players who are wanting a closure to the Divine's story but as I mentioned in my previous post Fallen Heroes may be the closure and retcon out DKS. I presume Larian spent a lot of money on the licence for Baldur's gate so it would make sense for them to go in a new direction but as you say it would have to be done right. It would seem that Larian obviously want this to be the case and have put all of their efforts into it to ensure success.

I hope more information will be revealed at E3 what Larian's future plans are. Giving that they have studios in multiple countries it isn't unfeasible they could work on several games at once. This will also depend on the success of Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever it will be.

For me personally I would welcome a BG3 and a sequel to DKS as well.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've heard that the next game is actually going to be part of the Elder Scrolls series: the "III" refers to Oblivion 3, obviously SkyrimFallout 3 being Oblivion 2. Think about it, it fits in perfectly with Divinity's numbering scheme!

Last edited by vometia; 02/06/19 07:46 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I want:
New D&D game set anywhere but Baldur's Gate
Divinity any kind will suffice
Skyrim lookalike

By order of preference.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
This is interesting. There are indication Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3.

I've heard that the next game is actually going to be part of the Elder Scrolls series: the "III" refers to Oblivion 3, obviously SkyrimFallout 3 being Oblivion 2. Think about it, it fits in perfectly with Divinity's numbering scheme!

silence laugh

Originally Posted by Vilenica
I want:
New D&D game set anywhere but Baldur's Gate
Divinity any kind will suffice
Skyrim lookalike

By order of preference.

I would want game in Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer universe with D:OS sytle combat but more fast paced.

And a game like Bloodborne.

journeyman
journeyman
As long as it stays as much far away from TES/Fallout (Bethesda ones) gameplay-wise, I think I'll be happy smile

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JJ_Judge
As long as it stays as much far away from TES/Fallout (Bethesda ones) gameplay-wise, I think I'll be happy smile

Why? Skyrim has amazing gameplay.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Baldur's Gate 3 celebrate

veteran
veteran
I'm very curious, I wonder if they plan to ship Baldur's Gate 3 with an editor, like Bioware did for NWN or how they did with DOS2.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by cyseal
Baldur's Gate 3 celebrate

It is pretty awecome. Albeit I am scared, since the Bhaalspawn story is over and it is so long ago. I also don't think they will do "The Black Hound" the cancelled BG3 game. So I wonder what it will be. But Dalelands could be fun.. maybe they stick with some of the stuff?

Last edited by vometia; 07/06/19 04:38 AM. Reason: formatting
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard