Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Subalt Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm at my wits end. I purchased two copies for myself and a friend and we have both been unable to start the DE. We get two errors. DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL
and E_INVALIDARG. These alternate depending on if we launch with EoCApp or steam respectively.. I want to stress that I have literally tried every single "fix" I have seen from the Audio default changing to uninstalling all my anti virus and disabling windows defender. If I didn't gift a copy I would have already asked steam for a refund.

We are both on WIndows 10 but have different hardware setups. We are getting the exact same errors related to direct X. Classic launches fine but DE will not work at all.

EDIT: An update: While changing NO settings, I got it to start up once. I couldn't my friends to start up even following the same exact steps I took, however upon closing the game I am no longer able to start it up again (same errors as before). Literally NOTHING was changed between the successful launch and the failure.

EDIT 2: Classic no longer launches. Not even a second after starting game it crashes to desktop with a DMP file in the folder. No settings were changed. Nice

Last edited by Subalt; 10/02/19 05:08 AM.
Subalt Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So Classic will now work after a lot of uninstalling and tinkering, but DE still gives the same INVALID CALL error as before. The error is this below:

[14-02-2019 22:19:45:347][C:\Jenkins\workspace\Repo\FW3.5\RC\Stable\LSProjects\Framework\Code\RenderFramework\dx11\D3D11RenderFrame.cpp 451 api::D3D11RenderFrame::CreateFrameBufferSurfaces]:
The game has failed to initialize DirectX and will shut down.
This error may be triggered by reasons that are not related to Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition.

Please try the following before restarting:
- Disable any screen recording software you may be running
- Make sure all your Windows updates have been installed
- Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed
- Disable SLI/CrossFireX

You could also try contacting developer support with your gold.log and your DxDiag.txt.
If you make significant changes to your system (like installing updates or drivers), please send us before and after
versions of those files. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error: DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL
Description: The application made a call that is invalid. Either the parameters of the call or the state of some object was incorrect.

Enable the D3D debug layer in order to see details via debug messages.

BufferDesc.Width: 1953494560
BufferDesc.Height: 24
BufferDesc.Format: 24
BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Numerator: 3
BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Denominator: 3
BufferCount: 3
OutputWindow: 105032710320

Not sure the deal with the path at the start of the error. Not sure what Jenkins\workspace\etc is but it's not related to my computer that's for sure. Somehow I doubt its the cause, but at this point I couldn't begin to imagine what is.

Subalt Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Fixed the above error. With an RTX 2080 I was able to start DE directly with the EoCapp.exe set to windows 7 compatibility *and* disabling fullscreen optimization. None of the other "fixes" such as removing/disabling anti-virus or startup programs was needed. Please post here if this fixes your issue as well as what graphics card you have. This is the second game where the rtx 2080 needed fullscreen optimization disabled to run. If this can help anyone else that would be fantastic.

stranger
stranger
I have the same problem as you, unfortunately.

I have a GTX 670 and have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Since I upgraded the game wouldn't start any longer. But using he Windows compatibility tool didn't work for me.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DrNurse
I have the same problem as you, unfortunately.

I have a GTX 670 and have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Since I upgraded the game wouldn't start any longer. But using he Windows compatibility tool didn't work for me.

You and I are brothers in arms my friend. I have a GTX 660 and also upgraded from 7 to 10. Classic works better than DE currently and I will update you when the situation changes.

Support
Support

Try exiting out of the Steam client, if applicable, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator (or '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\Classic\EoCApp.exe' for the original release).

Try right clicking the game executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and check off the 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' option (set it to Application), maybe run as administrator, and set a Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode. That fixed this error for one person in Win 10 (the OP specified that they had to set Win 7 compatibility and disable fullscreen optimization).

Check for updated graphics drivers; that help one person getting this error. If you already have the latest, and other troubleshooting doesn't help, you can try a clean re-install of the graphics drivers; see here or here, for example.

If applicable, disable Steam cloud support either globally (in the client click on the Steam menu and select Settings, and then Cloud) or just for this game (in the library right click Divinity: Original Sin 2 and select Properties, then switch to the Updates tab and check the Steam Cloud section).
Alternately, exit out of the Steam client, or Galaxy for the GOG version, and just start the game directly from the executable when required.

Next, try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and rename the 'Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition' subfolder.
This folder contains the saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing. With Steam running and cloud support enabled, the client would just download the cloud copy of your existing profile, if applicable.
After that, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game.

The graphicSettings.lsx file is set to 1280x720 Windowed mode, Very Low quality preset and low audio quality, which you can change in the options (manually, or hit autodetect) if this gets the game to start.
If that helps, try increasing the resolution and switching to fake fullscreen, then see if you can exit and restart. If so, try again for fullscreen. If that helps (it did for one person online, with a different game), move your original profile folder back (or create a new profile, exit and move the saves over to the newly created profile's ..\Savegames\Story folder).
If you continue to get the same error, delete the replacement My Documents D:OS 2 DE folder and rename the original back again.

Try checking your system files:
- click Start, type cmd into the search box, right click Command Prompt and select run as administrator.
- type the following command and hit Enter
sfc /scannow
When that is done, type exit and hit Enter, then reboot your computer.
For more details, see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929833

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

stranger
stranger
Thank you ever much sir. In depth and helpful answers, you are noble, handsome, and pure of heart.
I was originally able to get classic mode to work by creating Tdr delay of 10 seconds as with this reddit thread and this Tutorial (I didn't have a TdrLevel or TdrDelay registry so I actually had to create one manually ). But Difinitive edition still didn't work. The replacement saved settings finally made it work thankfully!

Thanks!

stranger
stranger
Sorry but the replacement settings download page doesn't open for me can anyone upload it in any other way

veteran
veteran
If you're referring to the Google drive folder Raze linked, I uploaded a mirror for you here (https://autodidactstudios.com/Downloads/DOS2DE_Doc_36326602.zip).

"After that, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game."

stranger
stranger
Thanks, i was able to download it now but i am still having the same issue sadly.

veteran
veteran
Do you have something called GeToSaDo installed? I've seen lots of people experiencing crashing / bootings fails due to having it on their computer.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I have same problem with DIrectX "INVALID_ARG" with my 21:9 LG UltraWide
First step was -
Originally Posted by The Composer
If you're referring to the Google drive folder Raze linked, I uploaded a mirror for you here (https://autodidactstudios.com/Downloads/DOS2DE_Doc_36326602.zip).

"After that, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game."

After that I was able to start game in windowed mode and play. But Fullscree or Windowed without frame still was lagged.

And now i finally understand what was problem. I used the wrong cable
PC (DisplayPort) - Monitor (HDMI) - not work properly
PC (HDMI) - Monitor (HDMI) - worked fine.

May be was helpful for someone.

Thnx!

K
stranger
stranger
K
Just picked up Divinity Original Sin 2 and am running into this same problem. I've tried every suggestion in this thread including the google doc that was linked and no success. It just keeps giving me the same error.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard