Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#651873 10/02/19 07:31 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Are there prerequisites for Abilities? If there are, where can I find some documentation?
FYI, I noticed on one of my recent level-ups, that if I started moving around the different tabs and not increasing everything at once, I saw some Abilities come availabe. Now, I am at level 14, and I am looking to increase LoreMaster to 4 on one of my characters.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
There are no prereqs for the abilities, except ...;

You know that you need to put increasingly more points into abilities to increase them ?

Getting from 0 to 1 requires 1 point, from 1 to 2 requires 2 points, and so on.

So, to maximize an ability to 5, you need
- 0 --> 1: 1 ability point
- 1 --> 2: 2 ability points
- 2 --> 3: 3 ability points
- 3 --> 4: 4 ability points
- 4 --> 5: 5 ability points
Altogether, you'd need 15 points to maximize an ability.

There are some abilities that can be increased with item bonuses or traits.
For example, there can be +1 bonus to Crafting and/or Blacksmithing on bracers and belts, there is the Scientist talent which gives +1 to Crafting and Blacksmithing, and the Pragmatic trait increases Crafting by +1.

This way, it's possible to bring Crafting to 5, with +2 from gear, +1 from the Scientist talent and +1 from the pragmatic trait, requiring only one point being put into the ability directly.

All spell school abilities (Man-at-Arms, Scoundrel, Pyrokinetic, etc.) do not get any bonus from items, nor talents, nor traits, so you will have to invest the full 15 points to maximize one of them to level 5.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks very much for explaining all that.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard