Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Announcing Divinity: Fallen Heroes!

We’re so happy to announce this one.

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a game we’ve wanted to make for a long time. Ever since Dragon Commander, we toyed with the idea of mixing D:OS tactical turn-based combat with Dragon Commander’s decision-making elements. We thought there was a very cool game hiding in there, but we never had the resources to make it. Since then, the idea remained unexplored.

Until now.

Last year, we gave the D:OS2 engine to Danish studio Logic Artists and asked them to see where it’d take them. Their brief was to develop a game in which your narrative choices affect which missions you can play-- and where your performance during these missions would affect subsequent narrative options.

The result was truly awesome. Thus, some time later this year, there will be a new stand-alone Divinity game featuring all our favourite characters, tactical turn-based combat, and plenty of difficult decisions to make. There’s tons of new combos to discover, tons of combat enhancements and… you can play with a friend in co-op!

The story will see you take on the role of commanders in the Divine Order, charged with arresting the half-demon Malady for stealing the Order's doomsday weapons. Before you know it, you’ll be engaged in a high-stakes play for global domination against none other than the Lord of Chaos himself. Together with the former Godwoken and the unreliable half-demon, you’ll engage in a grand adventure that’ll see you become the last hope of the free world.

To get a first taste of Divinity: Fallen Heroes, check out our brand new shiny trailer. And if you’re lucky enough to attend PAX East, come to our booth and try out the game yourself. We’re demoing an early build to collect feedback.

It’s still early days and we have plenty of work left to do, but do let us know your thoughts and what you would hope to see in Divinity: Fallen Heroes. We’re listening, and as always, your feedback will help us make the game better.

Oh! And check out the game's brand new site: www.divinityfallenheroes.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2460525

So it looks like a DOS 2 meets Dragon Commander meets X-COM sort of thing. It seems like it isn't being developed by Larian themselves, but another studio. Or maybe it's a collaboration?

Larian Alumni
Larian Alumni
It's a collaboration!

old hand
old hand
...Hoping for more companions with more personal traits / skills, and more diverse, unique, and interesting character builds.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
...Hoping for more companions with more personal traits / skills, and more diverse, unique, and interesting character builds.

I get the impression that this game will be much more like the opposite. I think it'll probably play closer to DOS 2's Arena mode where each character is pre-built. You will be able to buy new skills for characters using some kind of points currency, but I think you'll be limited in what is available.

veteran
veteran
After an eternity or two I am back to the forum.

I have not played dragon commander so I must ask what is the "dragon commanders decission making elements"?
In D:OS2 you already had many choices and often there were several ways to solve a quest.(e.g. party member A wants to help somebody and party member B wants to kill this person).
I liked all Larian games I have played so far, so I am looking forward for more info on this one.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
I also am wondering what the comparison to Dragon Commander means exactly, as I haven't played that game.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
I
inc Offline
stranger
stranger
I
From the trailer itself it looked like it's xcom influenced to me, as i've played both games extensively. I love the concept, let's see how it turns out

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Okay, well in Dragon Commander there were two phases: The combat phase, and a decision making phase. We'll set aside the combat phase.

In Dragon Commander you are charged with building an empire. You have 5 races, Elves (left-wing hippies), Dwarves (right-wing capitalists), Imps (mad scientist loonies), Lizards (leftist-liberterians), and Undead (conservative religious zealots), each with their own philosophy, and making political decisions, like, should your empire spend X income per turn to provide healthcare to people. Each race has it's own view, and you will gain or lose favor with certain races depending on your decisions.

Additionally in the decision-making phase you might have an event with your Princess ( a politically arranged marriage with an Elf, Dwarf, Lizard or Undead princess) where your princess has a dilemma and you nudge her into one choice or the other, and/or an event with a General who also has an issue, and you give them advice.

The choices you make have follow-ups based on the choice you made, and those choices have follow-ups. In that way you can dramatically shape the opinions your generals and princess have.

enthusiast
enthusiast
" you’ll be engaged in a high-stakes play for global domination against none other than the Lord of Chaos himself. Together with the former Godwoken and the unreliable half-demon, you’ll engage in a grand adventure that’ll see you become the last hope of the free world. "

So this presumably is set after Divinity 2:DKS and continues the story of Damian and the divine? Don't know how they would explain what happened to the dragon knight from Divinity 2. Maybe he/she provides a supporting role as an NPC. Also the 'former godwoken' so this follows on from one of the endings of Original Sin2. Hmm, interesting.

Last edited by Arokh; 29/03/19 06:26 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Support
Support

Fallen Heroes is set 2 years after the events of D:OS 2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So that means it's set before Divinity2:DKS then & also I'm sure that's Damian in the promo artwork. Which means it could lead to some contradictory backstory to DKS then depending on the player choices and ending(s). Someone mentioned a while back that Divinity2:DKS may be retconned out of the timeline altogether which I hope does not happen and we do get a proper sequel to it in the future.

Last edited by Arokh; 03/04/19 07:54 PM.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

C
stranger
stranger
C
but... where's the kickstarter page? what do you mean i can't back this up? =(

insane yet?
Support
Support

There was just a D:OS 2 Kickstarter update for Fallen Heroes; the game itself is not being Kickstarted.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Hmmm, given how D:OS 2 ended this game baffles and intrigues me...
Does the game assume you played a custom hero in D:OS2, and this is a (or could be a) continuation of that characters story?
If yes, is there any continuation of the friendships / relationships made during the prior game?
Do we finally get to hear about the favor Malady (likely) roped the Godwoken protagonist into?
Given a preview I read mentions a choice between protecting Lucien or aiding common folk in a port, sounds like Lucien survived the end of DOS2, which implies.... about Source now?

Pointed as my questions may be, let me also express HOW DAMNED EXCITED I AM FOR THIS! =D

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm so excited for this one. Storywise I think, that this game will be the bridge between the OS-Series and the Dragon Knight - Saga, because it will reintroduce Damian and his story for newer players.

Lucian doesn't need to die in Fallen Heroes. If I remember the timeline correctly, the war between him and Damian took a while, so it can be just a little inbetween war on a global scale, with Damian reminding the Black Ring who's boss. Because, let's be honest, in Rivellon every week is "Almost-Apocalpyse-time" laugh.

I also think, that the Dragon Knights only participated very late in the war and since the Divinity-timeline and lore is very vagued, they don't need to bend it too much for this game (or part 3).

Last edited by Zelon; 05/04/19 08:54 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Zelon
I'm so excited for this one. Storywise I think, that this game will be the bridge between the OS-Series and the Dragon Knight - Saga, because it will reintroduce Damian and his story for newer players.

Lucian doesn't need to die in Fallen Heroes. If I remember the timeline correctly, the war between him and Damian took a while, so it can be just a little inbetween. Because, let's be honest, in Rivellon every week is "Almost-Apocalpyse-time" laugh.

Ehhh, my question is more like, "which Divinity Original Sin II ending is going to be reflected in this game?"

Lucian, after all might have or might not have died in DOSII, as well as any # of the listed named crewmates (though their survival is a pretty safe assumption given their presence in the opening ^_^) . There's also tge question the living demigod that might have emerged at the end of that game.

Just; highly curious; but very excited for this game no matter the answer.

Last edited by Janissary; 05/04/19 08:57 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Janissary

Ehhh, my question is more like, "which Divinity Original Sin II ending is going to be reflected in this game?"

Lucian, after all might have or might not have died in DOSII, as well as any # of the listed named crewmates (though their survival is a pretty safe assumption given their presence in the opening ^_^) . There's also tge question the living demigod that might have emerged at the end of that game.

I think they will stick to the ending, we know from the Dragon Knight - Saga

Meaning:

- Lucian alive and the ruling Divine

Which means:

- The rift between the Void and the Source closed (because they didn't exist before OS)
- Voidwoken imprisoned within the Void (see above)
- Nobody is a Godwoken, but our heroes are free (see above)
- Source can't be used, but Demons are still full of it. (see above)
- The Doctor isn't the new Divine, since Lohse seems to be free and good.

Would be the easiest and strongest to write Damian as a serious threat, with him being the reborn God of Demons and all. But you are right to ask, what the current state of the rest of the world could be.

My guesses are:

- The Red Prince is now the Emperor and he and the wife try to raise their kids. But there is trouble, for example the other houses, that try to overthrow the young upstart and his family.
- Victoria is still the queen of the Dwarves, but revolution is breewing, becase you can't rebuild an empire in two years. And the dwarven nobles being obsessed with feuds and powerplays, don't help.
- The elves have lost the Lifetree, since Sebille is still around, and now they fight for survival. And they really hate the humans and their Divine.

Makes the most logical sense and the seeds for conflicts are already in it, I think.

Last edited by Zelon; 06/04/19 07:20 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zelon
Originally Posted by Janissary

I think they will stick to the ending, we know from the Dragon Knight - Saga

Meaning:

- Lucian alive and the ruling Divine

Which means:

- The rift between the Void and the Source closed (because they didn't exist before OS)
- Voidwoken imprisoned within the Void (see above)
- Nobody is a Godwoken, but our heroes are free (see above)
- Source can't be used, but Demons are still full of it. (see above)
- The Doctor isn't the new Divine, since Lohse seems to be free and good.

Would be the easiest and strongest to write Damian as a serious threat, with him being the reborn God of Demons and all. But you are right to ask, what the current state of the rest of the world could be.

My guesses are:

- The Red Prince is now the Emperor and he and the wife try to raise their kids. But their is trouble, for example the other houses, that try to overthrow the young upstart and his family.
- Victoria is still the queen of the Dwarves, but revolution is breewing, becase you can't rebuild an empire in two years. And the dwarven nobles being obsessed with feuds and power plays, don't help.
- The elves have lost the Lifetree, since Sebille is still around, and now they fight for survival. And they really hate the humans and their Divine.

Makes the most logical sense and the seeds for conflicts are already in it, I think.

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Despite D:OS2 having multiple endings Fallen Heroes follows only one of the endings - pretty much how you put it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
To be honest: for a sequel this is my preferred ending laugh. Also because I don't want to see Divinity 2 retconned. There's a good start situation for part 3 there, since it's world turned almost Apocalyptic (not a big spoiler). Best situation to turn around and rebuild the world!

Last edited by Zelon; 06/04/19 07:22 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Right-right-right-right.... but who is the "commander" one is assumed to play in Fallen Heroes? There's some emphasis on your choices being appreciated or driving away the named NPC's; so is the "you" the unnamed 8th godwoken that might or might not have been the protagonist of DOSII, or are we playing some other character?

Descripts seem to indicate that you begin the game pursuing Malady for stealing some Doomsday weapon of Lucian's (and given how that turned out last time, good on Malady) but since Lucian is alive, well and Divine one could presume that the protagonist ended DOSII by sacrificing the source of -all- the sorcerers.

Not an unreasonable ending (happily, none of them were) but what I'm really interested in is if my commander initally walks aboard the Lady Vengeance with a clap on the shoulder from Ifan, a knowing wink from Lohse, and some joke about my teeth from the Red Prince... It's a selfish ask, I know, but tis mine. =D

Last edited by Janissary; 07/04/19 04:00 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard