I screwed up... #652848
12/06/19 04:03 AM
12/06/19 04:03 AM
Balerion Offline OP
stranger
Balerion  Offline OP
stranger

Hey guys,

I really need your help. Me and two friend bought DOS 2 in a steam sale about 6 weeks ago. We started a playthrough together and played every now and then over the last weeks. But since one of said friends doesn't have as much time as the rest of us I started a second playthrough on Lonewolf with just the other friend. I am the host for both games and I host both games from one profile. I know this was a bad idea in hindsight, but as I said we were quite new to the game and didn't think about it much.

Well by now you probably know what I gonna say. While playing with both friends I accidentally overwrote the single savefile I got from the lonewolf playthough. Since there are quicksaves and autosaves this would not have been a huge deal and might have lead to loss of about 15 minutes playtime, but sadly this happened at the end of a very long session. Meaning all auto- and quicksaves were taken by the playthrough with both friends.

Since the lonewolf playthrough had already taken alot of time I was not willing to just give up on it and after a lot of digging with file recovery tools I managed to recover an older version of the lonewolf savefile. One from before I overwrote it. But here comes the problem. I do have the correct lsv file now but when I put it into the corresponding folder the game does not recognise the savegame. I can not load it and it isn't even shown in the list. I am not sure why this happens. Can anyone help me? We spent alot of time on this playthrough and I feel horrible for being stupid enough to overwrite it like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Ok so I got some new information. After some more digging I thought the file I recovered might be corrupted in some way. Since I couldn't just read it with a simple text editor I downloaded the GR2 Converter which some of you are probably familiar with. I used it to unpack the lsv file and got the following error message: https://ibb.co/3mzkfkQ
So I guess my assumption was correct. Is there any way of fixing this?

Last edited by Balerion; 12/06/19 02:43 PM. Reason: New information
Re: I screwed up... [Re: Balerion] #652906
13/06/19 06:45 AM
13/06/19 06:45 AM
Canada
Raze Offline

veteran
Raze  Offline

veteran

Canada

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix the recovered save.

If you zip the recovered lsv file, does the size decrease significantly? It is already compressed, so if zipping it reduces the size by very much it would imply that there is missing data (file recovery programs will fill in missing data with zeros, and in some cases a restored file may have the name and size, but be completely blank).

I don't suppose you have any recent backups of your My Documents folder?

Do you have Windows shadow copies enabled, if applicable? Try right clicking the overwritten save folder, or the 'Story' folder, select Properties and (if available) switch to the Previous Versions tab to see if there are any copies.

If applicable, Steam keeps a copy of the profile in its install folder, to use when syncing, so you could try searching there, as well (Steam usually syncs automatically when exiting the game, and restarting should always trigger a sync, if required).

For future reference, with the Steam version you can download (or check / delete) online saves using the program Steam Cloud File Manager Lite (download), but in a case like this it would only help if used before steam synced. You need to be logged in to the Steam client and have the game's AppID (435150).

Re: I screwed up... [Re: Balerion] #652928
14/06/19 03:52 AM
14/06/19 03:52 AM
Balerion Offline OP
stranger
Balerion  Offline OP
stranger

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Zipping the file does in fact decrease the size significantly. It is about 10% of the size of the original. So I guess there is indeed alot of data missing.

I do not have any recent backups nor do I have any previous versions of the file. That was my first thought too.

The steam cloud file manager would have indeed helped right after overwriting the save. Sadly it is too late now, but should this ever happen again I will remember it. Though I highly doubt I will make this mistake again. From now on there will be one profile per playthrough and probably at least one backup safe.

Again thank you so much for the answer, but I am afraid this is the end of my beautiful Lightningmage. Oh well, I guess there will be other characters. I'm thinking of an assassin... ^^

Re: I screwed up... [Re: Balerion] #652931
14/06/19 05:07 AM
14/06/19 05:07 AM
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Norway
At least the game has good replayability! :}