Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#653241 22/06/19 02:32 AM
Argyle Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
One of the cool things about the BG series is that certain quests take you to other realms, such as the Underdark, or even to other planes of existence like the Abyss. Where can we go in BG III? I am staring at my old AD&D DM Guide book, the one with the Efreeti on the front cover and the City of Brass on the back, and I am thinking BG III might be able to fulfill an old dream and take me there. Might there be a little palace intrigue in the Elemental Plane of Fire, hmm?

Argyle #653305 24/06/19 12:50 PM
stranger
stranger
Actually this is a nice idea.
But since mindflayers are the enemies , a travel to the astral plane is more likely
Also , some Crystal Spheres are connected together , we could have a sidewalk through Oerth or Krynn

Argyle #653435 28/06/19 07:27 PM
Argyle Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I never understood the origins of the mindflayers. Are they naturally from another plane? In terms of literature, they seem to be at least partially derived from HP Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos, wherein many foul creatures of similar nature came from regions outside our own time and space. Gary Gygax claims that all but one or two of the monsters in the original Monster Manual were his creation. He states that the mindflayers have a city deep within the earth, but he does not disclose how they got there in the first place.

Argyle #653439 29/06/19 01:18 AM
Tiefling Quest in BG2 went to Sigil, I believe.

Artagel #653444 29/06/19 02:39 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argyle
I never understood the origins of the mindflayers. Are they naturally from another plane?

The Forgotten Realms Wiki talks a bit about their origins, on the Mind Flayer page, History section. There are only theories, it seems.

Originally Posted by Artagel
Tiefling Quest in BG2 went to Sigil, I believe.

The troupe themselves come from Sigil, but if you mean the ingame quest, no. The quest takes you to an extraplanar prison.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Argyle #653449 29/06/19 08:17 AM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Mindflayers are not very lovecraftean if you ask me, they just have tentacles.
But their origins are explored pretty well.
Whats mostly to note is that featuring Illithids will in most cases also lead to Gith showing up.

Originally Posted by Try2Handing
The troupe themselves come from Sigil, but if you mean the ingame quest, no. The quest takes you to an extraplanar prison.

That's right. I remember not liking that quest very much because of that wonky mechanic of the rooms you got sucked down into and were immediately attacked.

As for the Mind Flayers, I got the impression from an interview that they might be a bit of a head fake by Larian, and that something worse will end up being the primary enemy.

Last edited by Artagel; 29/06/19 10:25 AM.
Sordak #653659 05/07/19 09:44 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sordak

Whats mostly to note is that featuring Illithids will in most cases also lead to Gith showing up.

I love Giths and yes they are natural enemies of the Illithids, so I would really like to see them as playable races.

I would also like to see a quest in the city of brass.

Last edited by DarkHawk; 05/07/19 09:46 PM.

Rollenspiel hört nicht beim technisch möglichen auf, es hört auf wo deine Fantasie endet.

Lasst uns den hilflosen Drachen vor der bösen Prinzessin retten!
... Das klingt irgendwie falsch...
DarkHawk #653661 05/07/19 10:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DarkHawk
Originally Posted by Sordak

I love Giths and yes they are natural enemies of the Illithids, so I would really like to see them as playable races.

Ditto. Giths are awesome. The gith companion in Ps:T was by far my favorite companion in that game.

Argyle #653662 05/07/19 10:22 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
i dont think gith will be playable from the start.
They dont make great level 1 PC characters in a sword coast setting, honestly if we get all the Players Handbook races im already happy, but im pretty sure we wont.

Argyle #653693 06/07/19 07:28 PM
old hand
old hand
I would like visit the Old Empires region of FR, Waterdeep and Undermountain, Brightwater city/paradise/afterlife of Sune, Sharess, Tymora, Lliira, Waukeen,and at diffferent times surprisingly Ilmater and Siamorphe. Avernus is a possiblity, as is the capital city of the Githyanki in the Astral Plane.

Argyle #653858 10/07/19 09:18 AM
veteran
veteran
I'd rather visit fewer planes, but with their unique mechanics respected.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard