Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
After playing Original Sin 2 I decided to replay this hidden gem of a game. I got the developer's cut version free as I'd purchased the original Divinity2: Ego Draconis and the FOV add on. I never got round to playing it and didn't even notice the developer notes, design documents and videos included with the game until now.

Interesting video - so it was to be a much bigger game and you could attack ground enemies with the dragon in the original version; a major omission in the final game. It's a shame about those cut areas but it fell to publisher deadlines and technical limitations of the Xbox 360. There were high ambitions for this game some of which ideas ended up in Dragon Commander but the end result of the cut down version of Divinity 2 was a little disappointing in the wasted potential for the dragon combat. I had a mess about with the developer console and saw that there is a large area below Aleroth; is this part of the area that would have been playable before the game was cut down? What is that city below Aleroth? Is this the original and / or unfinished version of Aleroth and a newer version was created above the map so the 'old' part would serve as a backdrop?

Anyway here are a couple of screenshots showing what I mean and where I also managed to fly around in dragon form in Broken Valley before it was destroyed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Story wise it's clear that this follows on from only one of Original Sin 2's endings and I've seen a few threads that there may be a possibility Divinity 2 will be retconned as Divinity: Fallen Heroes is the direct sequel to Original Sin 2. However thinking about it logically that game would follow on from the same ending that will lead into Divinity 2 so I guess this game will bridge the gap between Original Sin and Divinity2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

I hope that Larian's next game after Baldur's Gate 3 will be Divinity3 as Divinity2:DKS should have been. After all Damian was defeated but not killed at the end of Divinity 2 and the chaos demon is free to gain strength within him. That opens up the potential for a whole new storyline where Damian has recovered several years later and meanwhile the Dragon Knight has recruited humans to become dragon knights. The return of the Patriarch would play a role as well I guess as he would be the only one who could create more dragon knights. The multiplayer part of Divinity 2 could be a good potential here; co-op dragon fights anyone?

With Larian growing in size it's doubtful they would be only working on one game at once. It seems they have been working on Baldur's Gate 3 for some time and that would be their main project now but surely they are planning the next game after that? Thoughts?

I hope Divinity: Fallen Heroes does not retcon Divinity 2:DKS. Is there any hint from the developers that this is not the case? I mean in another thread it was said by Raze after the release of Dragon Commander Larian would be releasing another game finishing off the story arc of the Divine, Damian and the Dragon Knight. It didn't say when. Original Sin and Original Sin 2 came after Dragon Commander & now that they have the rights for Baldur's Gate 3 it will be some time if we see Divinity 3 if at all. But confirmation from the developers that Divinity2:DKS will not be retconned would be enough to satisfy me at this point.

Last edited by Arokh; 23/06/19 07:01 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Support
Support

There has not been any information released about when or how the conclusion of the story arc with Lucian and Damian will be handled (and even if that is decided/planned at this point, it probably will not be finalized until the relevant game is actively being developed). There has also been no word on the possibility of additional Dragon Knight focused games (would be a shame not to continue that concept, IMO).

Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok thanks Raze. Agree that it would be a shame not to continue the dragon knight concept, lets see what Larian come up with after Baldur's Gate 3 and Divinity: Fallen Heroes.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
fwiw, the city below Aleroth looks like Aleroth itself: a backdrop, perhaps, or a different perspective? I'm not sure. I remember reading somewhere that the original plan was to have the city surrounded by outskirts that would be a playable area but that the idea was dropped due to time constraints. Which is a real pity, speaking as someone who usually likes more of everything, though IMHO the somewhat claustrophobic setting made Flames of Vengeance really work for me. Sort of like Morrowind's Tribunal only better (well, if I'm going to go full-on subjective! laugh )

J'aime le fromage.
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah the developer video shows that there was to be a whole playable area around Aleroth which was very heavily wooded so I guess the forest below is it or part of it. It was cut due to having to make the game smaller to suit the publisher as larger publishers didn't want to take the game on as it was. One said a developer from Belgium couldn't be taken seriously and couldn't make a good game of that scale so the guy who said that was put into the game. It was the guy who was soul forged with a chicken. Larian eventually got the last laugh on him smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Haha, awesome, I honestly had no idea about that! That wasn't exactly the most insightful comment so I figure the guy deserved it. I dunno, I suppose we all have our preconceptions, though: I mean one of the most "authentic" western RPGs was IMHO produced by a studio that does JRPGs, namely Capcom's Dragon's Dogma. I might not have bothered with it if I'd just assumed, "oh, JRPGs, meh."

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard