Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#653970 13/07/19 09:03 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So, do you people believe that the BG3 engine will be an evolved version of the Divinity Engine?

L
addict
addict
L
I think in one of the interviews larian said it was developed from the DOS2 engine, noting they have been working on BG3 for a little while.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Oh so it's a derivation, rather than an evolution, of the Divinity Engine, now that's quite interesting.

S
veteran
veteran
S
They said OS2 was the 3.0 edition, DE was 3.5 and this is gonna be 4.0
That beeing said, Dragon Commander was 1.0, so basically it means very little about the actual game.

I just hope they improve how surfaes work.
in OS2 everything, especialy characters, looked like plastic and thats the only thing that annoys me about the artstyle.

enthusiast
enthusiast

It was in this video interview @8:02.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
They said OS2 was the 3.0 edition, DE was 3.5 and this is gonna be 4.0
That beeing said, Dragon Commander was 1.0, so basically it means very little about the actual game.

I just hope they improve how surfaes work.
in OS2 everything, especialy characters, looked like plastic and thats the only thing that annoys me about the artstyle.

I hope surfaces are gone.

S
veteran
veteran
S
I hope you get soreley disappointed then.
Surfaces are amazing. They just need to be turned down slightly.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
I hope you get soreley disappointed then.
Surfaces are amazing. They just need to be turned down slightly.

Surfaces are more important than combat skill, in a moment, that can't be left. Also, find them in D&D sources, it's not a matter of hope, in a way.

S
veteran
veteran
S
pardon me what?
For one thing, no, theres no surface rules in DnD, thats because DnD is a very simplistic system, however, i can tell you that almost every DM who once had enemies submerged in water was forced to houserule that exact effect at least once.

and yes, surfaces are overtuned right now, doens tmean they should be gone.
If you only want things that ar in the rules, youll have a very shallow game. 5Es rules are deliberatley simplistic and are more of a foundaiton than anything else.

veteran
veteran
As far as I know (I´ve yet to play a 5e PA) the rules of "Difficult terrain" and "weather rules" still apply in D&D. Those are related to the use of surfaces and weather in DOS games.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/adventuring#DifficultTerrain

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm

Enviromental interaction is one of the signature features of Larian games. I think they surely use it, they hinted at it in some interviews. And it is ok for me. I like that system. Albeit I think they have to nerf it a little if they plan to implement the "Concentration" checks based on CON for casters(there is still that rule in D&D). A surface can really make a number on you when you try to cast a spell and in DoS it is really easy to create surfaces (especially fire). In DoS you don´t have this problem because you cannot interrupt skills or spells and you have that "armor invulnerability to debuffs" thing.

Last edited by _Vic_; 14/07/19 05:31 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I do not expect BG3 to be modeled after D:OS 2 or BG1 and 2.

It will translate 5th edition D&D as best it can for what works best in a video game. Vinke and Mearles keep saying that they want this game to revolutionize the CRPG genre, and that they want for the game to feel like tabletop D&D--and therefore I think at the end of the day it will be turn based. I think they're looking to make the game engine's AI sophisticated enough to do a fairly respectable job at simulating a human DM. The emphasis will be on choices. Depending on how far they push with verisimilitude to tabletop play, if they go all the way with that then your NPC party members should behave like other thinking players at a tabletop game. There will be a synergy between the choices that the DM makes, that you make, and that the other party members make, that will significantly impact how the story unfolds.

In other words more freedom of choice than we're used to in a CRPG, and also a high degree of variation regarding the consequences of those choices.

Last edited by Lemernis; 14/07/19 06:12 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, if you want to translate the tabletop game It has to be turn-based, like the D&D game.

But they also said that they are going to make a videogame ( they banned some high-level spells, have doubts about hits and misses, etc) so you have more options in the table. There is a chance that it would be RTwP, or a racing game, like Swen said in an interview ( jokingly, I hope). And they are adamant in hiding the combat so we will have to wait. The only thing they clearly said is that the combat is not for debate and there is only one system, not RTwP and TB like in PoE2 (See the interview threat)

Last edited by _Vic_; 14/07/19 06:14 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Well, if you want to translate the tabletop game It has to be turn-based, like the D&D game.

But they also said that they are going to make a videogame ( they banned some high-level spells, have doubts about hits and misses, etc) so you have more options in the table. There is a chance that it would be RTwP, or a racing game, like Swen said in an interview ( jokingly, I hope). And they are adamant in hiding the combat so we will have to wait. The only thing they clearly said is that the combat is not for debate and there is only one system, not RTwP and TB like in PoE2 (See the interview threat)

Which spells were banned?

old hand
old hand
We don't know yet, but it's very few. My guess is Astral Projection

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by _Vic_

Which spells were banned?

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=654031#Post654031 Mike Mearls and Swen Vincke are as mysterious and laconic as always, but they said that some spells are a no-no.

Last edited by _Vic_; 15/07/19 06:44 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Urgh. I wonder why.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Because some spells are so broken its not funny

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Such as? Wish?

S
veteran
veteran
S
Yep wish is incredibly broken and i don tknow why they include it.
But mostly things that make other classes irrelevant.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They probably included it for the fact that a wish spell can be cast as any spell 8th level or below.

Or they just put you in the dragon's cave if you ever wish for anything more. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard