Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was running into this issue on DOS:EE, so I bought DOS2 assuming I was just having a problem with an old game. Now, I'm having the same problem on DOS2.

Every few seconds, the game will freeze for a couple seconds. Audio will continue though. This means audio is always out of synch with animations. Also, when the video catches up, my characters have "teleported" ahead some as thought hey are lagging in an online game.

I've found other threads with this problem but none with any solutions. I've checked the stickied threads and can't find any reference to this problem. I'm really upset that I spend $50 on this game and it won't even run.

EDIT: This video is the exact same problem I have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pE2_DFSPc
My mouse cursor still moves, it's just the animation in the game that freezes.

My Rig:
i5 4690K
GTX 2060
16gb RAM
Windows 10
Game running in Steam.

Support
Support

Do you have similar problems if you start the Classic version of the game?

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus, graphics utilities, or DirectX injectors, etc?

Try lowering the graphics settings and resolution, or switching to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode, to see if that makes a difference.
Try enabling, lowering or disabling the Vsync and frame rate cap options.

Try lowering the sound quality in-game. You could also try changing the Windows sound quality settings (one person with D:OS EE reported that a very high default sound quality caused performance issues in-game).

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator (or '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\Classic\EoCApp.exe' for the original release).

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try resetting your graphics driver's 3D settings to default (right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel).

Make sure the Virtual Memory setting in Windows is set to automatic / system managed, rather than being disabled or set to a fixed size (to check in Win 10).

One person with general performance issues with D:OS EE on an i7 CPU fixed it by setting the game not to use the first 2 CPU cores, since Windows was running everything else on them, as well. Another was getting stuttering, and fixed it by switching the game to use only one core, applying, then switching it back to all 4 cores.
To try this, start the game, then start the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or right click an open area of the Task Bar), switch to the Processes tab, right click on EoCapp.exe and select 'Set Affinity...'. After that, try unselecting Core 0 and 1, apply and test the game, or unselect most of the cores, apply and select all of them again.

Also in the Task Manager Processes tab, try right clicking EoCApp.exe and under Set Priority, select High or Realtime.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've put my responses below the suggestions:

Do you have similar problems if you start the Classic version of the game?
-Yes

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus, graphics utilities, or DirectX injectors, etc?
-Yes

Try lowering the graphics settings and resolution, or switching to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode, to see if that makes a difference.
Try enabling, lowering or disabling the Vsync and frame rate cap options.
-Tried all of these, no difference.

Try lowering the sound quality in-game. You could also try changing the Windows sound quality settings (one person with D:OS EE reported that a very high default sound quality caused performance issues in-game).
-no difference

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.
-no difference

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator (or '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\Classic\EoCApp.exe' for the original release).
-no difference

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.
-no difference

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.
-no difference

Try resetting your graphics driver's 3D settings to default (right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel).
-no difference

Make sure the Virtual Memory setting in Windows is set to automatic / system managed, rather than being disabled or set to a fixed size (to check in Win 10).
-already set

One person with general performance issues with D:OS EE on an i7 CPU fixed it by setting the game not to use the first 2 CPU cores, since Windows was running everything else on them, as well. Another was getting stuttering, and fixed it by switching the game to use only one core, applying, then switching it back to all 4 cores.
To try this, start the game, then start the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or right click an open area of the Task Bar), switch to the Processes tab, right click on EoCapp.exe and select 'Set Affinity...'. After that, try unselecting Core 0 and 1, apply and test the game, or unselect most of the cores, apply and select all of them again.
-no difference

Also in the Task Manager Processes tab, try right clicking EoCApp.exe and under Set Priority, select High or Realtime.
-no difference

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've tried all of the suggestions in both DOS1 and DOS2 and i still get the same problem.

Support
Support

If you open the Task Manager and switch to the Performance tab, is there a spike/drop in the CPU or GPU usage when the graphics freezes happen in-game?
https://www.howtogeek.com/351073/how-to-monitor-gpu-usage-in-the-windows-task-manager/

Check for updated graphics drivers, and Windows updates in general. If you already have the latest nvidia drivers, try a clean re-install; see here or here, for example.

Have you tried other, similarly demanding DirectX 11 games recently?

​You could try playing the game in a virtual machine (see here or here, for example); performance wouldn't be as good, if it works, but a couple people did that with D:OS EE to confirm issues were system related, before resorting to reinstalling Windows.

Please email supportdos2@larian.com with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy) and link to this topic. Also check the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin' folder for the gold.log file to include (unless it is empty, or hasn't been created).

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

If you open the Task Manager and switch to the Performance tab, is there a spike/drop in the CPU or GPU usage when the graphics freezes happen in-game?
https://www.howtogeek.com/351073/how-to-monitor-gpu-usage-in-the-windows-task-manager/

Check for updated graphics drivers, and Windows updates in general. If you already have the latest nvidia drivers, try a clean re-install; see here or here, for example.

Have you tried other, similarly demanding DirectX 11 games recently?

​You could try playing the game in a virtual machine (see here or here, for example); performance wouldn't be as good, if it works, but a couple people did that with D:OS EE to confirm issues were system related, before resorting to reinstalling Windows.

Please email supportdos2@larian.com with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy) and link to this topic. Also check the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin' folder for the gold.log file to include (unless it is empty, or hasn't been created).

Wow. When the game freezes, the GPU drops to 0% for a few seconds. I'll email support too. Thanks so much for your help.

Support
Support

Try starting the game on the integrated graphics; while they are not officially supported in Windows, HD 4000 or later have hardware support for DirectX 11, so should be able to start the game (performance wouldn't be as good, of course, and there could be texture issues).
Right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel. The location varies a bit depending on the GPU and driver version, but in the options there will be a section where you can set specific applications to run on either the 'high performance' GPU or 'power saving'.

Do you have a controller that you can try with the game, to see if that makes a difference?

If you start 2 instances of the game to play in local co-op, is there a difference in behaviour between the host and client instance of the game?
Start the game, switch to windowed mode and lower the game resolution (and maybe check the option to mute the sound volume when the game doesn't have focus), start a multiplayer game, hit Esc, open the Connectivity Menu, optionally disable online multiplayer (if it is enabled) and make sure LAN Connections is enabled (or that can be done in the options before starting a new game).
Next, start the game again from the 'EoCApp.exe' program file (doesn't matter if the first instance is started through Steam/Galaxy or the executable), select Join Online Game in the Campaign section, switch to the LAN tab, rather than Online, and join, then test moving around as the host and client character, where you can see both game windows.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Both games appear to be working properly this morning!

I plugged in a controller and for some reason everything just worked!!!!

Support
Support

So just plugging in a controller, or using the controller input in-game?

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard