Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#655659 20/09/19 01:48 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi guys,

I've recently taken over the Divinity wiki at Fandom, which is to put it gently in a bit of a state and in need of much TLC. I've been reading through The Prophecy (which came with DD all those years ago) and at the end of chapter 1 the following prophecy from Ruben's dream is recorded:

Three elements are required to become the true Divine
One: Summoning, Blessing and Sacrifice. One: Summoning, Blessing and Sacrifice.
The Divine One will have a Protector who will guide him. The Divine One will have a Protector who will guide him.
The Divine One will walk upon the paths of the Dead. The Divine One will walk upon the paths of the Dead.
The Divine One will see visions sent from the Land of
Death.
The Divine One has the Power to save or destroy the
world.

As this was the dream that lead Ruben to his final battle plan and the fact that on his death his blood turned into a white light which consumed the Lord of Chaos; was Ruben one of the earlier Divine Ones?

I want to check this before I go writing a bunch of baloney on the wiki.

Support
Support

While technically the Divine One dies during the blessing ceremony, it is only a temporary condition. The ritual performed by Ruben Ferol and the rest of the council was much more permanent. I'm not sure if there were Divine Ones before that point; there was a League of Seven at the time of the second attack of the Lord of Chaos, but don't know if it was formed directly in response, or some time before. I would assume the Council of Seven was formed to replace the League of Seven after the war, and Divine Ones started after that. For all the searching Ruben Ferol did through history books searching for some way to defeat the Lord of Chaos, nobody complained about the gods not picking a new Divine One.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
When I was reading through, I imagined that the Council of Seven was sort of a caucus for the leaders of the League. From my recollections of Divine Divinity, it would seem that the league and the council separated at some stage in time, or at least the league dissolved long ago.

If the ritual wasn't to become the Divine One, do we know what it was? It seemed like there was a divine element in the ritual itself.

Support
Support

I got the impression the League of Seven formed as a unified defense, then after the war was reformed as the Council of Seven, with cooperation between the races ongoing, but shifting to rebuilding rather than military. The leaders were council members, though in the pdf were not referred to as part of a Council of Seven. They may have pre-dated the league in some form, but IMO, reforming the group as the Council of Seven after the sacrifice ritual seems more likely.

I think the Divine One ritual is a weaker form of the sacrifice (it doesn't give enough power to banish a god, but only requires one temporary death as sacrifice, rather than seven permanent ones). It is certainly divine in nature.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
You're probably right about the Council of Seven, thinking on the PDF itself we saw something similar happen with The Legion of the Damned and their predecessor The Black Ring. I'm not sure if I'm misreading the story, but I did see that Ralph was the leader of two races following the battle (humans and wizards) as it states "not the way you would address the leader of two races"; but I did wonder if that was referring to Morreck and Ralph or just Ralph himself.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard