Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

First off, forgive me if this is something that has already been discussed at length.

My friends and I recently started a campaign and are really enjoying all facets of the game. However when we started the game, one of our players was late by a couple of hours so we rolled a character for him and he took it over when we he finally showed up. Everything seemed to be working great until we were a couple hours in, murdered a whole town, and then got our individual story missions. During this time, the mentioned friend just had to sit there and wait for us, really making his experience worse in comparison. Sure he is getting XP and loot but he is completely missing out on the story elements.

Is there some way that you could give the ability for players to go into the GM mode, or elsewhere, and adjust these settings some how? Or allow save modding natively so we can change that number (even if this just took the old save file, did augments and spit out a new one we could use)? I am sure there is technical reasons for why this is set up in this way, and this isn't just a "isPlayerCharacter" flag somewhere, but at this point our campaign is at least 20ish hours in and we REALLY don't want to have to create a full new campaign just so our friend can get the full benefit of the next 100+ hours.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Eonstar; 03/10/19 06:24 PM. Reason: Updating title for better clarity
veteran
veteran
Hi and welcome Eonstar! smile

I'm having a bit of a hard time interpreting exactly what it is you'd want changed, so I'll ask you a couple of questions.

1) - Is this for the base-game campaign? GM Mode campaign? Some adventure mod?

2) - What do you mean by 'Player Number'?

3) - What is he missing out on? Is it that he is playing as a henchman hired on Lady Vengeance, rather than one of the Origin characters, and by missing out on story elements, you mean the Origin character story he could have played instead of a generic character?

3b) - Is it that he's got too weak stats? Too low level?

No matter what it might be, I could write a quick little mod to fix it for you that way, although you'd need to also install a second mod from Nexus to enable achievements again if that's of importance to you. But either way, I'd need to understand what exactly it is that you'd want changed smile

Also, there's a Larian discord you can come hang out in. I don't feel there's that many people frequenting the forums these days in the lull between new games. I go by the same name there.

Last edited by The Composer; 03/10/19 06:18 PM.
Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for the welcome!

1) This is the base game campaign. I only mentioned the GM mode as a vector for a solution. Sorry for any confusion there.

2) Human Players.

3) I think I am using bad verbiage here. I totally mean the Origin Characters. It has been a little while now so I cant say for certain but we created our origin characters, and our buddy joined not long after (still in starter area). He very well might be one of the companion/henchmen characters as I think he was one that we encountered on the beach that offered to join the team.

I think what I am really asking for is the ability to change a Henchmen/Companion Character to a Origin Character. The player I am speaking about is missing out on anything that is specific to the origin characters, I think.

Thank you for you help in advance.

veteran
veteran
Hmm. So then there's a couple of new things to think about. How far into the campaign are you?

Even if a solution would be conjured up and working, depending on how far you are, he may already have missed out on enough of that character's quest progression to really get the most out of the rest of it, perhaps? So if you're in Fort Joy and not too far in, perhaps the best idea would be to just restart.

Origin characters are still origin characters if you recruit them on the beach / in the fort. They're just considered as a companion rather than an avatar (starting character), but their story remains more or less the same. So if you've recruited Beast or Red Prince (the only two being on a beach iirc), then he should be fine enough and get their story I think.

Are you playing on Steam? Modded or unmodded game? If unmodded, you could add me on steam and invite me in on your save and show me in person. Add me on steam (friend code '925706457') if you fancy.

Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Honestly, I think we are all in the mind space that we are just kind SOL here, so have accepted things as they are. Due to this, I don't really think that anyone is on board with starting again. We have had a lot of fun events that have happened and forced us down into some decisions we would really want to preserve.

I think in my mind, I was hoping for just some way of promoting/changing/updating a character in a save to an Avatar Character. It does suck that up to now, the player we are talking about has missed out on some of the Avatar Specific content, but I really think just him being able to play some content while the rest of us are would be enough. It feels really bad to be playing through some story, talking about with the 2 other Avatar characters in chat and everything, while he has to just listen and be like "Ill wait for you guys in town". It just makes the rest of us feel pretty bad and want to rush the content, that we don't want to rush because we are enjoying it.

I appreciate the offer (Re: Steam) and will probably take you up on this, but wont be able to until later this week.

Support
Support

Unfortunately, the origin character quests and dialog will not be triggered for companion characters unless there is also an avatar in the same group, controlled by the same player. One person would have to leave and the host assign that character to the person playing Red Prince to get the origin events (which could involve needing to know about them in advance).

Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Maybe I am confusing terms here. What are the differences between a Avatar, Origin, Companion, and Henchmen Characters?

If I am remembering correctly, Origin Characters were special pre-built characters you could select from, right? I don't think any one took on of those characters, and I think the player we are talking about was one of the people we could recruit after getting to the initial/starter island.

If it is a problem of "The character that was selected just doesnt have those missions" then that is understandable. I could see just allowing them to get teleported into the same instance as one of the Avatar Characters as a sort of solution. (Right now we are basically starting a stream so the 4th player can at least see what is going on)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eonstar
Maybe I am confusing terms here. What are the differences between a Avatar, Origin, Companion, and Henchmen Characters?

If I am remembering correctly, Origin Characters were special pre-built characters you could select from, right?

Correct. They have special tags and special quests.

I don't think any one took on of those characters, and I think the player we are talking about was one of the people we could recruit after getting to the initial/starter island.

If you made a non-origin character, they won't have the same missions as custom characters. Yes, you should have been able to recruit an origin character from Fort Joy.

If it is a problem of "The character that was selected just doesnt have those missions" then that is understandable. I could see just allowing them to get teleported into the same instance as one of the Avatar Characters as a sort of solution. (Right now we are basically starting a stream so the 4th player can at least see what is going on)

Origin characters have custom backgrounds and have different missions and special quests compared to custom-made characters.

Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh that is all good info! Thank you!

That being said I don't think any of us did the Origin Characters and did more of the custom built ones.

To be more clear, the missions I am talking about are when the player speaks to their Gods, for example. I would have assumed that every character would have this content available as the player could chose any race/build when they started. It feels like the Tags that you mentioned are not applied because they weren't created at start.

Would it be easier/weirder if the request was a way to create a Avatar Character I can inject into a save file?

veteran
veteran

To be more clear, the missions I am talking about are when the player speaks to their Gods, for example. I would have assumed that every character would have this content available as the player could chose any race/build when they started. It feels like the Tags that you mentioned are not applied because they weren't created at start.

That happens at a specific point. If a character was an NPC at the point you did that, and a player took control over them after that, then no, they don't get to see that event because it has already been finished. You would need to load a game from before that point and have the extra party member take over there.

Would it be easier/weirder if the request was a way to create a Avatar Character I can inject into a save file?

That's flat-out impossible. Characters cannot be separated from save files.

Eonstar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
That happens at a specific point. If a character was an NPC at the point you did that, and a player took control over them after that, then no, they don't get to see that event because it has already been finished. You would need to load a game from before that point and have the extra party member take over there.

So I think then we are hitting some sort of bug because he was in control of the character when all of the other characters were teleported into the instance. (where we each spoke to our gods and they warned us of the others) He was just sat there in town while we completed that instance.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
That's flat-out impossible. Characters cannot be separated from save files.

Ok good to know. I wasnt sure if they were just a collection of data tied to some Character ID somehow.

Support
Support

Unfortunately, only avatar characters (created in character creation) get teleported to the Hall of Echoes for those sequences. There are some restrictions for companion characters (recruited later) or henchmen (hired after they become available). There won't be as much of a difference if everyone else is using a custom character, though, since they will not be getting origin events or dialog either.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard