Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#656453 31/10/19 06:19 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Did a search and didn't see anything, so apologies if this has already been answered.

How many players will be able to play co-op at once in BG3? I played D:OS2 with 2 friends and we had one of the best gaming experiences of our lives. Most games of this type are only single player or 2-player co-op at most. Is there any plan to have BG3 be 4-player like D:OS2 was?

Thanks.

S
veteran
veteran
S
im sure its at least 4 considering what weve heard so far

apprentice
apprentice
Of course the real answer for any of these questions is:

"THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
veteran
veteran
I personally think it would be very strange for BG3 to be single-player with this slogan.

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
They've already said there is multi-player, but they have not shared specifics, and they might not until Stadia is released.

T
T
Im just going to assume that there will be atleast a 4 player coop. However, ideally there should be some scaling mechanism that you can turn on/off. So lets say the game is balanced for 4 players but then you can have up to 6 players or just play it solo and the ECL would scale just like in the PnP (not sure ECL is a thing in 5.0e, im a 3.5e player).

No idea how much work that would requier though.

veteran
veteran
SInce the starting point for the game's design decisions is obviously co-op play, it will be 4 because 6 is too much for co-op play. People like me who would only play single-player and as such would want 6 are not going to matter in Larian's calculations.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i odnt see why 6 is too much for coop, you can coop EYE with 27 people.
If the single player party is 6 people, which i assume itll be, then obviously every one can be a player.

your defeatism is just there to mask your passive agressive demeanor.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak

What was the point of even saying that? Just don't.

J'aime le fromage.
T
T
Originally Posted by kanisatha
SInce the starting point for the game's design decisions is obviously co-op play, it will be 4 because 6 is too much for co-op play. People like me who would only play single-player and as such would want 6 are not going to matter in Larian's calculations.

Its true that alot of people play solo. Even if I've played co-op several times I'm pretty sure I've clocked more hours solo.

I guess its a matter of prioritization or if they can automate the scaling somehow.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sordak

What was the point of even saying that? Just don't.

Thanks for calling him out. I guess it's just his base nature.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Torque
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Its true that alot of people play solo. Even if I've played co-op several times I'm pretty sure I've clocked more hours solo.

I guess its a matter of prioritization or if they can automate the scaling somehow.

I agree. And I myself have suggested what you suggested in your previous post, which is to allow for a scalable party size, so that even if 4 is the default/locked party size for co-op play the game allows party size up to 6 in single-player.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If this is called Baldurs gate than it will have companions so even if you play with only 1 or 2 players your party can still consist of 6 members. So here is really no need for dynamic scaling.

Last edited by Hawke; 13/11/19 04:48 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
in recent interview sven has mentioned they are taking risk making it differently. don't expect it to be a bg2 clone according to him and they are unsure if the fans will like it or not. he also specifically mentioned in his earlier career, publishers don't like turn-based and their success with DOS2.

my guessed for no. of players would be 4. those are the best and safest number to make RPGs for all platforms. 3 are too few and 4 has appeared in many RPGs that were also available for consoles and handhelds. even pillars of eternity 2 reduced party characters to 5. they knew they wanted it 4 but cant as 5 even gotten huge backlash. i honestly think BG3 will not have 6 party characters. It will be 4 as that is Larian magic number. It could also possibly be 5 but i seriously doubt it.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i dont realy see why 4 is the ideal number of anything.
and its not like you cannot include options like lone wolf (arguably in dnd you cannot, but eh, they arent keeping to the rules that closeley) for the people that dont like micromanaging.

I think CRPGs are a niche genre, and managing multiple charcters is a hallmark of that genre.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard