Next Thread
Print Thread
#656500 03/11/19 05:12 AM
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
DOS2 is truly a beautiful world. However i find myself constantly rotating the camera. It's really a dilemma to choose between non-rotating camera vs fixed camera. I prefer the rotating camera as the world is more beautiful. But constantly require to rotate the camera a little tedium for me.

It would be great if they can design the map to have less rotation and still allow rotation. Thoughts?

S
veteran
veteran
S
well we cant realy answer that question rigth now, but from svens hints, im thinking we will be seeing something along the lines of modern RPGs, by which i mean third person, so that probably shouldnt be an issue

apprentice
apprentice
Rotating camera is a must these days, not only you can clearly see better angles but it can reveal little details that weren't visible before. If you don't implement camera rotation then your just a 3rd grade developer. Especially in an isometric setting.. For example, Solasta Crown Of The Magister demo came out with a restrictive non-rotating camera and everyone was annoyed and couple of weeks later they came up with a patch which allowed rotation. For most people, it's a game breaker and will not purchase the game without it...period.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I hope they add a 3rd Person camera for exploration, fixed cameras feel outdated.

veteran
veteran
I'm guessing you mean vertically tilt the viewport? Because you can rotate the camera in-game. It's just not a fully over-the-shoulder 3rd person game. Top-down games are still very much a thing. I hear Diablo 4 is on its way.

I do understand, and partially agree with the sentiment and wish though. However, most game series tend to establish a certain style that the majority connects that game with. I'm not sure if doing it differently for, say, Divinity Original Sin 3 would be a good idea. Or if it'd positively please more people than it'd upset. The game series 'Trine' is a 2.5d platformer puzzle game, and they tried changing things up in one game, and they got bashed for it. Bashed hard.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by Hawke
I hope they add a 3rd Person camera for exploration, fixed cameras feel outdated.

i hope not. it basically create a tedium to switch between 3rd person view with top down isometric view. look at dragon age. i like the game to be top down isometric as it's tactical as well it can look beautiful. to me the world in DOS2 looks beautiful. just that those characters look cartoony. I like the art direction to be somewhat like pillars of eternity. but the fixed static camera is PITA as well as difficult to view during many occasions.

i'm not sure if larian can improve the art design of the world by minimizing the need for manual rotation (if they are still sticking with the top down isometric view). however the top down isometric view is the key for me. I'm not sure if i even interested in the game anymore if it suddenly changed to a first person or 3rd person RPG like witcher.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Archaven

i hope not. it basically create a tedium to switch between 3rd person view with top down isometric view. look at dragon age. i like the game to be top down isometric as it's tactical as well it can look beautiful. to me the world in DOS2 looks beautiful. just that those characters look cartoony. I like the art direction to be somewhat like pillars of eternity. but the fixed static camera is PITA as well as difficult to view during many occasions.

i'm not sure if larian can improve the art design of the world by minimizing the need for manual rotation (if they are still sticking with the top down isometric view). however the top down isometric view is the key for me. I'm not sure if i even interested in the game anymore if it suddenly changed to a first person or 3rd person RPG like witcher.

No idea what you are talking about the camera in Dragon Age Origins was perfect, I really hope they ignore all the people who only want isometric camera just because of nostalgia.

Last edited by Hawke; 05/11/19 11:43 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Archaven

As long as it's optional, I don't really see it's a problem. As it is with DOS2, you can almost switch from isometric to third person just with the mouse wheel and it wouldn't take a huge amount of tweaking to make it the real thing. It's pretty much what I did with Sacred 2 just by altering the distance and angle that the camera could be moved to.

DOS originally had restricted rotation where you got a choice of about 90⁰, but enough people didn't like it that it was eventually made a full 360⁰ camera.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard