Print Thread
#458120 08/10/12 05:56 PM
S
Sunfire Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
So can soul forging work on inanimate objects, or just living beings only?

What would be some hilarious (or cruel, depending on your viewpoint) candidates to soul forge someone with?

Major, major spoiler concerning Damian
When Damian soul forged Ygerna as she was executed, the result was that if she is restored to life, Damian will be slain. Why is that?

If life was fair, horses would ride half the time.

In soviet Rivellon, fire breathes dragon!
Sunfire #458123 08/10/12 08:35 PM
Support
Support

Yes, Lovis was soul forged with a stone, and IIRC there is mention of other such instances in books or dialog.

In Damian's case, nobody had ever preformed a soul forge between a living and recently deceased soul before.
Neither Talana or Zandalor offer an explanation of why resurrecting Ygerna will kill Damian. It seems to just be an assumption, based on how regular soul forges work - changing the status of one changes it for the other. That is a reasonable assumption, but lacking any evidence.

Raze #458124 08/10/12 09:15 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Raze

Yes, Lovis was soul forged with a stone, and IIRC there is mention of other such instances in books or dialog.

In Damian's case, nobody had ever preformed a soul forge between a living and recently deceased soul before.
Neither Talana or Zandalor offer an explanation of why resurrecting Ygerna will kill Damian. It seems to just be an assumption, based on how regular soul forges work - changing the status of one changes it for the other. That is a reasonable assumption, but lacking any evidence.

Oh, I was wondering if that had been covered somewhere and I'd just missed it (thrice!) but I guess not, or at least not yet...

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #458254 11/10/12 04:31 PM
S
Sunfire Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
So since it can work with objects as well, someone could soul forge themselves with say a rock, put it in a pressure proof box, and say hide it at the bottom of an ocean and be practically immortal?

Or what about a mountain? without dynamite/blasting powder or other such substances that would be very hard to destroy. Maybe a level 15 explosive arrow would do the trick.

If life was fair, horses would ride half the time.

In soviet Rivellon, fire breathes dragon!
Sunfire #458257 11/10/12 05:49 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wait just a sec. As I understand Divinity's soul forging is rather risky than useful. If one dies the other does as well. Pretty handy for a couple of cute love birds like Damian and Ygerna, or joking a chicken and a peasant. Wasn't the paladin of BD soul forged as well?

So soul forging with an inanimate object : gaining a state of immortality won't work in Rivellon; only in Harry Potter's world or Tolkien's.

Lord Lovis wasn't soul forged as far as I know. His soul was just stolen from him. There's no clue what the difference is between mind, spirit and soul though.

Sunfire #458259 11/10/12 05:56 PM
Support
Support

I think being soul forged to a rock would just give people another way to kill you (if they could find it). Being soul forged to a demon helped Laiken live longer, but didn't make him any less vulnerable to swords or arrows.

Wasn't Lovis' soul stone created by a variant of a soul forge? I'd have to replay through that to make sure...

Raze #458261 11/10/12 06:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I forgot about Laiken. So it seems Rivellon's soul forging implies

(1) as long as A lives, so does B
(2) as soon as A dies, so does B
(3) vice versa

It doesn't explain the consequences of soul forging with a rock. My guess is it's lethal.

Lotrotk #458263 11/10/12 07:19 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, it seems that both parties of the soul forge need to be living, or at least that's the supposition (the situation with Damian and Ygerna being a bit odd.) I gather that as long as one party is living, the other will continue to live as long as nothing interferes with either of them, such as someone wielding a pointy sword.

J'aime le fromage.
Sunfire #656765 12/11/19 04:04 PM
Lord Lovis explains about Damian and Ygerna in one of his conversation with the hero. Since it is optional, not many people know about it, I think.
The moment Ygerna was beheaded by the Divine One, Damian made the Soul Forge ritual and that itself "probably" was the cause of reversing it's function (because Ygerna was dead in that very moment).
In Maxos Tower, there are some books about soul forging to inanimate objects, I still have them in my inventory, checked it right now:

"Lord Maxos has perfected the purpose and the spell of Soul Forging. Servants of Maxos, who are disobedient are Soul Forged of sorts with an inanimate object. This could not be achieved with the regular Soul Forge spell. Praise be to Maxos, now the sinners can suffer even after their death!" from an old Maxos book written by some of his followers.
So the regular Soul Forge spell requires two beings both with a soul, death of one means the death of both. But Maxos maxed (see what I did there?) that spell and Soul Forged some people (probably those ghosts in his tower) to inanimate objects, so they would suffer even after death (which they did). That could also include Lovis, he was "cursed" by Maxos after all. So Lovis'es Soul Stone might be a regular stone, to which his soul was bound.

Last edited by Levianne; 12/11/19 04:07 PM.
Sunfire #656800 13/11/19 03:07 AM
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Another type of hell I'd say.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard