Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
I kinda understand where this guy is comming from. Div2's character progression and ruleset (or lack thereof) is it's biggest failing (as an RPG). There's simply no depth to it. It's the only thing holding the game back from being a classic.

However, to suggest all RPG's should follow the D&D ruleset is just ludicrous. There are even much better PnP rulesets out there than D&D.

BTW: There have been endless discussion over the years about what constitutes an RPG. In one of those discussions I read recently over at the rpgcodex, a young man said this: "I always thought an RPG was a game in which you DEFINE a role rather than PLAY a roll?". Everyone was gobsmaked! In one simple sentence, this young man wrapped it all up in a nutshell.

For example, in a Batman game you PLAY the role of Batman, but in say Baldurs Gate you DEFINE your role (Fighter/Thief/Mage....good/neutral/evil etc) and then play that role. Then the game should react and gameplay should alter according to your actions and your role. Another important distinction between RPG's and ARPG's is that in an RPG, you character's skill should be far more important that the player's skill, whereas in most ARPG's the reverse is true.

In that strict scence then no, Div2 is not a traditional RPG. Doesn't stop it from being a great ARPG though (a completly different genre altogether).

Last edited by AlaCarcuss; 03/12/10 08:36 AM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Marlow
Hey

None knows what a RPG is??
Before i give a one star review at Amazon.de, i want hear some opinions,
because it can be that i have something not understood.
The first Divinity i gave 5 Stars (the maximum), but i`m now no more sure,
if that whats right or not.

Okay, what is the greatest Problem of Divinity 2:
Most of the attributes have NO effect!!!
Please not tell me, that this is wrong, because an effect which is VERY VERY small, is NOT an effect!
At all RPGs i ever play a mage, but in Divinity 2 it gives no Magic system! In Divinity 2 os it really a joke to play a mage.
Example: Normal all my Spells will make more damage when i increased the intelligence.
In this game i only "buy" my spells and there updates.

All creatures have no value (only a simple health bar)!!
I run through the game without any great problems, because the creatures are much to soft.
Yes, i miss resistances like against water, fire, earth and so. Also a much better resistance against magic.

I think at first it is enough.
No, one GREAT BAD thing i will not forget to say, you can not make mods for this game!!!!
When someone has problem to understand how must look a RPG, then play Baldurs Gate 2

Regards, Marlow

Every single game in the world is an Role playing game, you may not get to pick the role but a role is there in every single game .

D&D is a great system, but at its core, its a paper rpg and no matter what you can't make it into a game without some sort of flaw. It's also now a really old system mainly used for turn based rpgs. The reason for this is because D&D is a turn based system, the Real D&D with paper and dice, isn't so much about treasure and monster hunting, but about choice, you can do anything from pissing off the bartender to helping a old woman who is actually a god across the street, And the D&D rules are a guideline to help Game Master's plan there own adventure or story.

Get out of the past, Balder's gate is amazing game, but its now ancient, there is funner systems out there.

Modding, seriously? you need to mod a game so you can enjoy it? get a life, and stop badmouthing other games because you are insecure about playing a game how the designers made it.

this game was super easy but the story is deep and fun, you get to quest and choose to be good or evil.

Thank god divinity 2 made its own system instead, its pretty damn cool and fun, it has flaws but no game doesn't and I hope they pick it up again and try to refine it to be better and have more choices and maybe upgrade the monsters so they aren't so easy to beat.

Lastly If you don't enjoy the game don't just give a 3 sentence comment about how it sucks because it's not D&D, And give real reasons. and If your too scared to actually have intelligent debate with someone just stop saying your wrong in a reply.

Sorry to others for bringing up this old thread but after seeing the comments i couldn't keep quiet

Sorry for resurrecting 9 years old topic, but seriously, Marlow, you have no idea, what RPG means. "oh this game sucks, it is no RPG, because it is very different from your usual RPG games". Just because you can play all the classes (have no specific restriction, have access to all the skills at once), doesn't mean, it's not an RPG. There are many games, that broke that "system" and still are considered RPGs. It means Role Play Game, to spell it out loud, role play doesn't have anything with the "your intelligence makes your magic stronger" formula. Some work that way, but most RPG games (role play game games? lol) are defined with your character gaining levels by collecting experience points from fights and quests, which you can then spent to upgrade your stats. The same works here, you collect EXP, you gain levels, you then upgrade stats, therefore it's an RPG. It is not THE USUAL RPG though.

EDIT: specifically BECAUSE it has no class sorting, you actually CAN ROLE PLAY your mage by investing only in skills, that would a mage use, not a fighter. It's up to YOU, how to play your character. If that isn't the essence of ROLE PLAY, then what is?

Last edited by Levianne; 12/11/19 03:38 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think the argument of "what is an RPG?" is still in vogue, as it was long before the post you replied to. There are purists who claim that things are not, but their definition of what is and what isn't varies from one person to the next anyway, so it tends to be a bit of a fractious assertion even when people appear to be agreeing about what isn't an RPG.

Speaking personally, does it railroad me? Is it fun? That's about it, really.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I consider many strategy games to be role playing - if you are playing, say as Germany in WW-II and changing many basic aspects of what happened, are you not playing the role of the German leader and doing what you think would have been better? Advanced Third Reich is not a role playing game but it has aspects of role playing in it. That is what I took from the original topic resurrector (and now I am understanding why this section with little happening for a long time suddenly erupted :)) .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard