Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Sordak #657187 23/11/19 06:20 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
not to burst anyones bubble, but ever since NWN 2 there were a lot of liscenced DND games but none of em were any good.

the people of that studio so far only did movie tie in games and the one game they released was a forgettable top down lootershooter published by a publisher known for terrible korean grind MMOs.
tl;dr chances are this isnt gonna be any good

Those bad deals where done under the previous CEO Leeds, who I believe also canceled the novel line. The current CEO Chris Cocks (snickers), is the one who are the deal with Larian Studios and who bought Tuque Studios.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Action is very less compatible with 5e rules then RTwP.

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you mean by "action" in this context? Do you mean RT (without pause) combat?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kanisatha

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you mean by "action" in this context? Do you mean RT (without pause) combat?

Some people believe BG3 will be an action RPG like The Witcher which wouldn't work with the D20 system.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Think the Witcher, think Skyrim, ect.... those are action RPGs. So Real time without pause, although folks usually just say action or action roleplaykmg games, ARPGs.

veteran
veteran
Ok, fair enough. I have a slightly different take on what an "action" game is, but if you guys say it is a game with RT/no pause combat then fine. I can see that.

But I don't thing D&D having the D20 system automatically excludes RT combat. It just would depend on the style of the game. Firstly, RTwP is very much compatible with the D20 system, as the IE games and the NwN games have ably demonstrated. But even if we say RT without pause, what if you want to make an MMO, like Neverwinter for example? I think being very faithful to the D20 D&D system is expected only by classic RPG gamers. But if the game is going to be some game that is NOT a classic RPG, such as an ARPG or MMO or RTS or FPS game, then I think the fans of those kinds of games would not care if the D&D mechanics got modified, even significantly modified, to fit their style of game.

To note, though, I am not saying any of this relative to BG3, because with BG3 the expectation is that it will be a classic RPG in the spirit of the first two games in the series. I am speaking here generally about making games using D&D.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I see zero reasons to use DND in an action game. The world of Faerun a collection of bad fantasy tropes with a few good ideas. The only thing that makes it interesting are the mechanics. Maybe Eberon but no one really likes Steampunk...
I highly doubt that there is demand for such a game when there are better fantasy IPs with more unique ideas.

Hawke #657210 24/11/19 05:44 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke
I see zero reasons to use DND in an action game. The world of Faerun a collection of bad fantasy tropes with a few good ideas. The only thing that makes it interesting are the mechanics. Maybe Eberon but no one really likes Steampunk...
I highly doubt that there is demand for such a game when there are better fantasy IPs with more unique ideas.

Well sure. That is certainly a point open for debate. I strongly disagree, but that's just one person's personal view versus another's. But what matters here is what WotC sees. Are they going to agree with your view of D&D and the Forgotten Realms? Hardly. And keep in mind that a major part of the changes of D&D 5e was to change the default setting for D&D from Grayhawk to FR, so for WotC part of the success story of D&D 5e is FR's popularity. So why wouldn't WotC want to make a D&D ARPG? They have been licensing D&D for a very wide range of different types of games in recent years, and most of those games have sold at least ok.

On a more personal level, I do find it interesting that we are diametrically different in our preferences. For me, it is precisely the Forgotten Realms setting that I love and which I find very interesting (and as such obviously also don't agree it's a "collection of bad fantasy tropes"), whereas I significantly dislike D&D rules and mechanics.

Hawke #657217 24/11/19 08:49 PM
old hand
old hand

The Forgotten Realms has been a very successful setting for decades now, many fantasy settings would be lucky to have its success and depth. The Forgotten Realms is a great setting. Damn heretics 😋

enthusiast
enthusiast
I fully understand why the forgotten realms are so popular there is something for everyone in that world. But that means it lacks something that makes it distinguishable from other settings. For my taste, it's too "tame" it never feels like a place that actually exists.

apprentice
apprentice
I used to really like Forgotten Realms - some of the old source books are great, and I used to love reading through them. I've sort of lost the fuzzy feeling since the Charlie Foxtrot that was the 4th Edition lore. The 5th Edition seems quite keen to put that mess behind us, but it still lurks in my memory.

With regard to the rules, I tend to think that it makes sense for CRPGs not to stick to PnP too slavishly. The sort of concerns that tend to affect the playability of tabletop games often don't apply in the context of a computer. Often there is a good case for making some changes.

Hawke #657220 24/11/19 11:54 PM
old hand
old hand
I fully understand why the forgotten realms are so popular there is something for everyone in that world. But that means it lacks something that makes it distinguishable from other settings. For my taste, it's too "tame" it never feels like a place that actually exists.

It's the least "tame" setting, I mean it coined it's own terminology for sex work in the realms, like coin lass and coin lad. There is a lot to distingush it from other settings. Depth for one thing.

S
veteran
veteran
S
yes ok, the writer is a fetishist
Does htis come up in the mainstream material?

no.
the closest beeing the gender switching elves, which is more virtue signal than "untame".
Forgotten Realms realy isn tan awfully interresting setting.
What it is is a settig with a lot of numbers attached to it, you got encyclopedic detail about most things near the sword coast.
its still a kitchen sink fantasy.
Dark Sun and Eberron are far more interresting settings if you ask me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why are you talking about sex? Seems we meant something different with the term tame I meant that the world feels like a children's fantasy. There are some parts that are interesting but mostly its just boring bad monsters vs good guys.

Anyway just be clear I don't think the forgotten realms are bad instead I think it's one of the better fantasy universes since there is cools stuff there and it's much more consistent than other fantasy universes,

Last edited by Hawke; 25/11/19 12:56 AM.
Sordak #657228 25/11/19 12:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
yes ok, the writer is a fetishist
Does htis come up in the mainstream material?

no.
the closest beeing the gender switching elves, which is more virtue signal than "untame".
Forgotten Realms realy isn tan awfully interresting setting.
What it is is a settig with a lot of numbers attached to it, you got encyclopedic detail about most things near the sword coast.
its still a kitchen sink fantasy.
Dark Sun and Eberron are far more interresting settings if you ask me.

It comes up in various novels, and even BG: DiA mentions brothels. You have a lot of sex themed deities in FR. Lovitar, Sharess, Sune, Llirra, ect...

Anyways it's not kitchen sink fantasy, calling it that shows you don't get the setting at all.

apprentice
apprentice
My main concern with the Forgotten Realms setting is the some of the cheese that's crept into the later editions. Demons driving around in "diabolic hotrods", and that sort of drivel. Really hope it doesn't turn into a festival of lame wacky humour.

Kaspar #657232 25/11/19 01:37 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kaspar
My main concern with the Forgotten Realms setting is the some of the cheese that's crept into the later editions. Demons driving around in "diabolic hotrods", and that sort of drivel. Really hope it doesn't turn into a festival of lame wacky humour.

Well actually the Infernal Warmachines are in hell, not Faerun, and they're not hot rods, their infernal machines powered by damned souls, and is that any weirder then Spelljammers?

apprentice
apprentice

Well actually the Infernal Warmachines are in hell, not Faerun, and they're not hot rods, their infernal machines powered by damned souls, and is that any weirder then Spelljammers?

Well, I'm taking the phrase "diabolic hotrods" directly from WotC themselves, as they described it in this interview about 'Descent Into Avernus'. I understand that this part is in hell, but it is directly linked to this new campaign which begins in Baldur's Gate, bringing it into a FR campaign, and hence my concern. There's been some awkward fails in D&D's past, of course, but there's been more of it in later editions IMO, and this silliness would seem to be a greater risk of turning up in BG3.

S
veteran
veteran
S
oh ithas BROTHELS , clearly not generic european fantasy.
Yes its a kitchen sink, minor side details dont change that.

Also FR has always been silly, it used to be more sillly.
Originally it had portals to real world earth.
Also everyhing about the drow is completley fucking wacky dark comedy.

Kaspar #657248 25/11/19 03:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kaspar

Well, I'm taking the phrase "diabolic hotrods" directly from WotC themselves, as they described it in this interview about 'Descent Into Avernus'. I understand that this part is in hell, but it is directly linked to this new campaign which begins in Baldur's Gate, bringing it into a FR campaign, and hence my concern. There's been some awkward fails in D&D's past, of course, but there's been more of it in later editions IMO, and this silliness would seem to be a greater risk of turning up in BG3.

Yeah this is very much my concern as well. It's this kind of silliness that I found too prevalent in the D:OS setting and as such a huge part of why I hated those games. I just utterly hated the setting. So my greatest fear with BG3 is that WotC is going to allow Larian to turn the Forgotten Realms into a setting full of cartoonish silliness.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Congratulatin to having bad taste.

I dont care.
Id take Divinity over Forgotten Realms any day.
And you know what? I dont understand you, or nostalgia goggled people in general, attributing adjectives like "maturity" or "somberness" to things like Baludrs Gate or Forogtten Realms.

Holy moly my dude, FR is one of the silliest settings out there.
I dont know how many times i need to quote GO FOR THE EYES BOO before you start remembering the things that actually happened in baldurs gate.

And Forgotten Realms, come on, its the setting home to a race so evil, their society would immediatly collapse if it wasnt for their god literaly playing Sims with them.
We talk about a setting where a group of elven women have orgasms from their babies murdering each other in their wombs.
We talk about a setting in which the medieval stasis is explained by literal wizard terrorists murdering inventors, and beeing portrayed as good guys.
We talk about a settig in which a wizard is canonically fucking the goddess of magic for reasons.
Where theres a gorillion retcons only to explain the inane shenanigans of the writers

Im too lazy to list all the silly things in Forgotten Realms, but theres a lot of it, and its not a very mature setting, its a fantasy kitchen sink written by a fetishistic hippie.
Not saying thats a bad thing.
but your criticism of divinity is a major case of OLD THING GOOD, NEW THING BAD
To which i canonly reply: Ok Boomer.

Last edited by Sordak; 25/11/19 04:56 PM.
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard