Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NPCs keep approaching wrong characters #657305
26/11/19 11:55 AM
26/11/19 11:55 AM
Levianne Offline OP
Levianne  Offline OP

It annoys me, that I play a main character, a leader of a party, but several quest NPCs just ignoring me and instead engaging in dialogues with my other party members. I saved Lord Arhu in Kemm's vault, disposing of Kemm ASAP, then moving on the Black Ring people, it wasn't an overall easy fight for me and I even loaded once, because they charmed my cat and that little black creature killed Arhu. So I managed to save Lord Arhu on the second go, but my main character (Lohse) was far away to kill the last remaining Black Ring guy, Ifan, a ranged character, was the closest one to Arhu's position, instead of waiting for the leader to come to talk, Arhu himself targeted Ifan and the dialogue began. Why? Yes, my whole party is a group of GODWOKEN, I get it, but I AM the leader, why does Ifan have to talk with Arhu? And of course being angry, that Arhu chose a wrong character to talk to, I kinda skipped the conversation (chose the most neutral responses, skipped the Toyseller completely), so there's no way to get the Toyseller to let me on the Amulet and the scroll legitimately (I have to steal them). That's the price I have to pay for NPCs not being able to track the party leader, or for other reason need to engage in conversations with the wrong guys. Would it hurt, if Arhu just waited patiently for the leader to show up and talk to her instead of another guy in her party?

So my question: is there a way to fix this issue? Is it possible to make a mod, that could alter scripts, or anything, so the NPCs would either wait for the leader to approach them (though not always, it would break some side quests, I guess), or track the leader, instead of any guy close enough to them? What's the point in having a leader at all, if they are ignored at times (mostly when it really matters the most, in the Arhu-Ifan example, Ifan might have missing some options, that Lohse would have otherwise, like MYSTIC and stuff. And also I wouldn't be angry and hasty in that moment and would go through all the possible options, instead of trying to get it behind me ASAP)?

I really love this game much, but this is a big issue for me, a really big one. Just for the sake of role play, YOU, the player, are supposed to be a leader of a party, yes, it could be possible for someone to speak to another guy in your party, but they would usually redirect them to their leader (if it's not their personal quest, granted), which isn't much the case here. In fact it could be done, because it worked in the Red Prince quest finale, when talking to Sadha, the Red Prince wanted my opinion and I granted it, I stood by his side, letting HIM decide what will happen next. And he thanked me for it. But Arhu, the main quest and there you go, the leader being replaced by Ifan. The reason for Arhu not waiting and instead himself starting the conversation might be that the player might've been clueless, what to do next, after saving him, I guess (there's always the JOURNAL, guys)? Seriously you saved him just for some informations (as he remarked himself), so why not going to him and ... I don't know ... speak to him? Maybe? This was really an unnecessary engagement, that matters to me a lot. I role-play a leader, I role-play Lohse, not Ifan. This wasn't the first time it happened in the game though, but this time, it broke my approach to the quest (missing the info on the Toyseller from Arhu, being forced to solve part of the main quest in an alternate way).

EDIT: I found my way around, since Lord Arhu is now in his chambers in the Cathedral, so visiting there and talking to him properly with the main character solved it. But it happened again on the way there, the main priest stopped Ifan, asking him, if he came to join in the Endless Prayer (why it must be always Ifan? Does he have some kind of magnet, or anything?).

Last edited by Levianne; 26/11/19 06:22 PM.
Re: NPCs keep approaching wrong characters [Re: Levianne] #657360
28/11/19 10:58 AM
28/11/19 10:58 AM
Canada
Raze Offline

Larian Studios
Raze  Offline

Larian Studios

Canada

Characters can look for avatar characters, or specific origin characters, but depending on the situation can also select the closest party member (or the closest if there is no other match in range).

Re: NPCs keep approaching wrong characters [Re: Levianne] #657368
28/11/19 02:45 PM
28/11/19 02:45 PM
Levianne Offline OP
Levianne  Offline OP

I know they can target the ones important to their personal quests, for example that lady scared of Ifan in Fort Joy, she automatically targets him whenever my party passes the stairs the first time, which is fine with me, because she's tied to his quest/profession, but the main quest should still be handled by the main character and non other. It's nice that they try their best to approach at least one of your guys, if they can't reach the leader, but that's the point. There's a leader for a good reason. If they can't target him/her, then why not just waiting for them to get in the range? Once you happen to be in their range, well let them approach you freely, no problem with that. That's the whole problem I have with it. Is there a good reason for that priest in the Cathedral to stop any of your character (other than the party leader) to ask them, if they came to join the Prayer? Ifan has no quest with him, in fact his quest is closed by then, nothing left. And Lohse just ran past him a little moment ago, but he couldn't target her, instead pick another guy. Arhu can't simply wait for Lohse to reach him, because again, they are in hurry, or what? Didn't seem to be in much hurry, when we fought for his freedom (or slightly before), but once the combat ends, he rushes to the closest character (even over a great distance) just to ask you, who you are and whatnot.

Last edited by Levianne; 28/11/19 02:57 PM.