Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Given the possibly that we might be visiting the Planes in BG3 I was wondering what you guys thought of the 5e D&D Forgotten Realms cosmology.

It's seems at first like the Great Wheel, you have the Material Plane, which is connected by the Ethereal Plane to the Inner Planes, and all of that is connected to the Alignment based Outer Planes, by the Astral Plane. All the Alignment Planes are back Aborea, Mount Celestia, Elysium, Byopia, Arcadia, Mechanics, Limbo, Hell, Beastlands, Ysgard, Ghenna, Grey Wastes, Panodomium, Archon, Cacari, Outlands, Abyss, and the Elemental (Fire, Air, Water, and Earth) and Paraelemental Planes (Magma, Smoke, Ice, Mud), the energy planes (Positive and Negative) and the Ethereal Plane back from 4e. But wait, they added stuff. They kept the Elemental Chaos, Far Realms, Shadowfell, and Feywild from 4e! And they added some new stuff. The Border Elemental Planes, they split the outer planes into finite physical part that we think of for these planes, and a none physical infinite part, and they put the energy planes out beyond the Outer Planes!

Of course FR still has the Fugutive Plane too and its own demiplanes. (Weird side twist with Eberron Rising From the Last War, Eberron and its Planes are also apart of this cosmology, but Eberron and its Planes are locked into its Crystal Sphere so isolated from everything else).

I really like this set up, it combines the best of the Great Wheel and World Axis and surprisingly Eberrons Orrey cosmologies into a unified Multiverse Cosmology, with a few new additions which I really like, such as the Border Elemental Planes (it goes Border Elemental, which resembles the Material Plane, but each with elemental themes, pure Elemental Planes which are just the old school Elemental Planes, which eventually when you go deep enough merge into the Elemental Chaos).

Any opinions?

enthusiast
enthusiast
The whole thing is kinda fascinating in its weirdness, stuff like this reminds me that that the FR has its origins in the 70s where mysticism like this was really popular in fantasy. For the most part, it's just more content for the sake of more content, which is ok since the whole thing was made for a game.

Last edited by Hawke; 28/11/19 11:23 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke
The whole thing is kinda fascinating in its weirdness, stuff like this reminds me that that the FR has its origins in the 70s where mysticism like this was really popular in fantasy. For the most part, it's just more content for the sake of more content, which is ok since the whole thing was made for a game.

This version of the great wheel, or what I call the Great Wheel+ or the Great Wheel Axis, is younger 2014.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard