Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think I'm about done with the basics. Assuming I haven't seriously messed something up, next stage is probably that open-ended thing of adding more detail to it which is something I could faff about with forever.

At some point I may also use the various outlines I've stored away to do a more traditional looking "mediaeval fantasy" style map. We'll see. Right now I'm just glad to have got something in a tentatively finished state even if it is a bit plain at the moment. Once it has more than the basic minimum I'll upload a more high-res version, but given my not so efficient approach to working on this I've kinda slightly broken myself with the amount of time I've spent in the past week! I suppose it's what I do.

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
So much for giving it a break and moving on with other stuff... sigh. A very rough idea of what I'm aiming to finish with, but obviously extremely incomplete as I got fed up. I need to actually do RL stuff some time though!

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Update to previous image as I'd realised rather late in the day that I'd marked Verdistis as Rivertown. Oopsie.

Anyway, I think that it's about done, broadly speaking. I would be happier with more detail, especially woodlands, grasslands, rivers and so on but aside from that I think it's pretty much ready for me to release, unless anyone has anything else to add. The released version is much the same as this except a larger scale (I'm thinking about 1000-1200px wide, the 3000px working copy is much too big) and includes discreet-but-noticeable outlines about the named towns to avoid ambiguity.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Er, well, as I'm feeling impetuous, as I tend to be, a tentative release. Though some caution exercised in that I've decided it's v0.12!

clicky for download; inline image is ensmallified for bandwidth etc.

[Linked Image]

Edit: apologies for the temporary gigantic file size of the download as I neglected to resize it. Especially combined with the "seemed like a good idea at the time" of overlaying it with the in-game map of Fort Joy (or Reaper's Eye if you insist). Detail was nice but I didn't like the rather smudgy-looking overall effect so I've removed it again.

Last edited by vometia; 02/09/19 07:43 AM. Reason: v0.2

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Maps need a compass. I'm just not sure this is the compass that they need. Anybody with any concept of aesthetics like to comment? My main concern is the Ego Draconis dragon overlay: I think it belongs there somewhere, but I'm not sure if that somewhere is exactly where I put it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Edit: I apologise for my website being somewhat pedestrian lately.

Last edited by vometia; 02/09/19 01:50 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
...or maybe it's just too much brown.

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
New "release", if only for the fancy (or not) new compass. I'm still undecided about the exact design, e.g. colours, dragoniness and pointiness. But it's what it is until I decide otherwise. No other progress as I've spent the rest of the time writing a version of getopts that doesn't suck.

[Linked Image]

linky to big version

Last edited by vometia; 04/09/19 04:34 PM. Reason: messed up the URLs: bugger etc

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Well remember that Rivellon is a planet with more than one landmass and four powerful nations. If you need help then I'd be glad to help with a map of the Ancient Empire.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
True, that had occurred to me. I've only included those that I think seem to be likely to be in reasonably close proximity and have deliberately left the others out of the scope of my particular map: my personal goal (which may or may not have been shared by Renwex) is to do a detailed map of the areas I'm familiar with.

But that's just me. This topic isn't solely for my thing, as vocal as I've been pretty much every step of the way! If anyone else wants to add or discuss their stuff then please feel free. I'm interested to see what other people have come out with, even if I am likely to end up feeling a bit over-awed by anyone who seems to know what they're doing. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
So the orcs armies sailed around whole continent from Yuthul Gor to Dukedom of Ferol? Maybe Yuthul Gor should be little closer? I'm not criticizing, just asking. Great job overall.

Last edited by Soccer; 29/11/19 12:19 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I spent a while wondering about the whole thing and it is a bit awkward as both Cyseal and Ferol had problems with orcs and this is pretty much the most likely arrangement I could figure out, though that's in general terms and some of the details may be incorrect.

My reasoning (apart from the way the various maps can reasonably co-exist anyway) is that Yuthul Gor must be very far to the south given its climate, which seems to be more in common with the albeit slightly more temperate Cyseal and Reaper's Eye than the much more lush and verdant Ferol. My impression is also that the orcs had more of a presence around Cyseal, which was within much more convenient raiding distance, and were just making an incursion into Ferol near to what would be the coast in my interpretation of the map. Trying to navigate Reaper's Coast before even getting to that axe-shaped area west of Arx and Paradise Downs is certainly... well, quite intrepid. The axe-shaped bit is also not from any map, I just thought it seemed quite appropriate (and it didn't occur to me as being axe-shaped until after I'd done it). I dare say they'd have at least one staging post probably in that general area.

But that's all my interpretation. Yuthul Gor could conceivably be somewhere to the east of the Reaper's Coast area, for instance, making it approximately equidistant from the two areas in question.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh yeah, and the matter of "so how big is it?" is something I've avoided as video games do tend to compress things into a much smaller size than the "true" version would occupy, but I have absolutely no idea. Given the climate differences, maybe a couple of thousand miles top to bottom, but it could be more or it could be (much) less.

I'm also aware that one shouldn't read too much into climate e.g. Sentinel Island, as I'm currently playing Ego Draconis again and have been reminded that it was a green and pleasant land much like Broken Valley and Ferol (in fact probably very much like them, so for "pleasant" also read most *un*pleasant with lots of things trying to kill you!) and it was the dude with the creepy nose who made it red and barren. That said, apart from the volcanic activity it doesn't look all that warm to me, whereas Yuthul Gor does seem pretty scorchio.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
What game was Ft Joy first mentioned? I'm thinking DD or OS1? It's just that I have this memory of a large river south of it and I hate dangling memories so I want to investigate further. Seems I remember Cyceal being described in OS1 as on the south side of an island, once center to trade but no more. I guess the march north could have been on a large island as opposed to it being a peninsula as you both concluded early on.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think Fort Joy only appeared in OS2, though Raze might know better because Raze Knows All. biggrin

Cyseal may be on an island but the map made it look like it was either a very large island or a peninsula. I concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that the dark forest in the north-east part of the map is the southern end of the same Dark Forest we saw south of Ferol in DD. At first I was a bit perturbed at how big it ended up being in order to make everything fit, but it's supposed to be big; and not the long, skinny thing I've depicted, which wasn't by intent but because I'd absolutely run out of energy before deciding how the central part of my map should lok.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
It just hit me - it was another game! I started thinking about what I did there and it occurred to me that I met the king, someone named Red Beard, but that's all - can't remember the studio or the name of the game. No wonder it didn't match up looking like Ft Joy in OS2. Well, at least that is solved.

Sentinel Island's current shape (or rather look) is really the guy's with flat nose work, you can read his journal, where he brags (if that's the correct term) about the Island (that all knowing lady avatar) being ill due to his pollution of the island's surface. When Maxos, the ubermage, who built the Dragon Battle Tower ruled there, the island was all green and flourished and stuff. I wonder how her avatar looked like at those times of prosperity. When you meet her, she doesn't look that bad and that's after her island surface was changed by the flat nose guy, so her original form must've been looking like an angel, or something. Island the Divine with that god like shining around her, I guess? XD
Btw awesome map (or mapp, that is), good job there.

2vometia, isn't there was world globe with Rivellon on it in Divinity : Original Sin 2 which we can use? Although it could be just cosmetic thing which don't have any valuable information about the world.

Perhaps game designer or story writer could spend 5 minutes of her/his time on this official forum to clear things up in this question. After all, if Larian interested in world building they should make a sense of continuity.

Last edited by Soccer; 30/11/19 10:12 AM.
There are at least two (maybe even more) on board the Lady Vengeance, in Dallis'es room, but all it does is triggering a comment from the Narrator "and there you thought Rivellon was flat", it doesn't give any detailed info whatsoever.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Soccer
2vometia, isn't there was world globe with Rivellon on it in Divinity : Original Sin 2 which we can use? Although it could be just cosmetic thing which don't have any valuable information about the world.

Perhaps game designer or story writer could spend 5 minutes of her/his time on this official forum to clear things up in this question. After all, if Larian interested in world building they should make a sense of continuity.

Haha, they're not going to be pinned down by an actually official map! Hence the unofficial one which is total conjecture, but the bits with actual places in are at least based on what apparently solid information I can glean. From what I recall of the globe, which is admittedly not much given my hopeless memory and I don't have a handy screenshot to refresh it, it offered no elucidation at all.

Originally Posted by Levianne
There are at least two (maybe even more) on board the Lady Vengeance, in Dallis'es room, but all it does is triggering a comment from the Narrator "and there you thought Rivellon was flat", it doesn't give any detailed info whatsoever.

Quite. In addition, I was always slightly flummoxed by the emphasis being on the word "Rivellon" rather than "flat". I dunno if that was accidental or an inference that Rivellon features additional dimensions. Or just general oddness.

J'aime le fromage.
Another thing I been thinking on quite some time : if there is dukedom of Ferol, than there has to be some other feudal parts of former human kingdom or even empire, maybe few barronies, viscounties. earldoms, counties or maybe even marquessies? After all, in Dragon Commander was an empire which ruled by human monarch and there was as a part of it entire human kingdom, kinda feminist utopia, where young underage boys were forcefully married to the old decrepit women. I know actions in Dragon Commander are taking place 10000 years before DD, but there still has to be some remanence of this empire left in the "modern times".

After all, in my opinion, probability of an event where humans in Rivellon call "home" only one dukedom and few coast town, after 10k years, is highly unlikely.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard