Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Mindflayers on Toril are originally from Glyth, a Planet in the same solar system as Toril, which was ruled by Mindflayers. While at the end of 3.5e era Glyth was being attacked by Atropus, an undead Primordial the size of a moon. In next mention in 5e in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, the Mindflayers survived and still possess Spelljammer tech.

It does on me that the Mindflayers attacking Baldur's Gate in BG3, are more likely Mindflayers from Glyth then Mindflayers from the underdark. Underdark Mindflayer populations don't retain Nauciliod technology, but unlike most Mindflayer populations, the Mindflayers of Glyth do. And remember the Mindflayers AREN'T the main enemy in BG3, the thing the Mindflayers are afraid of are.

I originally thought the Gith or the Dead Three were the villians that the Mindflayers were scared of, but it dawns on me that it could be Atropus, Devourer of Worlds that could be the main Villian. Thoughts?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Glyth

Just some intel on Mindflayer ruled Glyth.

stranger
stranger
Would take a lot to convince me that a story NOT including the Dead Three would be more compelling to BG/DND fans. I love the idea of Atropus though!

Knowing Larian's favouring of ships in recent games to facilitate travel to new locations, it wouldn't surprise me if 'joining' the gith legion (or at least temporarily being allowed to fight beside them) would be an option in BG3 via spelljammers/nautiloids

Is this something the Illithid would even allow? Their disdain for life is immutable right? Perhaps if an Elder Brain commanded so?

More research required my end I think.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Tusky
Would take a lot to convince me that a story NOT including the Dead Three would be more compelling to BG/DND fans. I love the idea of Atropus though!

Knowing Larian's favouring of ships in recent games to facilitate travel to new locations, it wouldn't surprise me if 'joining' the gith legion (or at least temporarily being allowed to fight beside them) would be an option in BG3 via spelljammers/nautiloids

Is this something the Illithid would even allow? Their disdain for life is immutable right? Perhaps if an Elder Brain commanded so?

More research required my end I think.

Oh I have no doubt that the Dead Three are going to be in the plot of BG3, but in an interesting twist they might be potential allies, even evil Gods hate and fear Atropus, and it is dangerous enough that good and evil and chaos and law might set A-side their usual feuding to face that sort of threat.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Skull_of_the_Void

The Mindflayers from the Skull of the Void are known for their ability to levitate, an ability granted by eating a lot of Beholder brains. The Mindlayers in BG3 are seen levitating, perhaps showing a link to the Skull of the Void, Mindflayers as well. It makes sense that there would be a connection between the Mindflayers of the, Shull of the Void and Glyth. Both are in realmspace.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Skull_of_the_Void

The Mindflayers from the Skull of the Void are known for their ability to levitate, an ability granted by eating a lot of Beholder brains. The Mindlayers in BG3 are seen levitating, perhaps showing a link to the Skull of the Void, Mindflayers as well. It makes sense that there would be a connection between the Mindflayers of the, Shull of the Void and Glyth. Both are in realmspace.

Oh damn, good pickup! So if beholder's show up in BG3, at least the Illithid would be able to advise on how to deal with them. That would honestly be a great 'here's how powerful they are' scene. A group of Illithid with a mutilated beholder floating along in a cage behind them. Like "yeah we messed up this eye tyrant, think we're scared of you?".

And then the beholder gets free and destroys everyone.

Good times.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard