Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I feel that real time favors twitch over thinking so I don't like it as much as turn based. Besides, I'm too old for twitch.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
* sneaks look at user details *

You're a lot younger than me if that's accurate! And I've always sucked at twitch-gaming, young and old(er), it's just about my preference for the overall style of presentation. TB flows less and is more immersion-breaking for me, and perhaps of relevance, I've never been into tabletop gaming.

J'aime le fromage.
Originally Posted by Bojangles

Turn based combat is for board games. Action Points? My god, make a bad thing worse. But all you Einstein's that think a fight is,

Well, real-time combat doesn't make much of a fight either as long as you're sitting in front of a computer and clicking on pixels. Also, in a real fight you don't control multiple combatants whose sensory impressions and health are instantly known to you. So, I won't argue about "realism"â„¢ in this matter. (And I won't call people names in a discussion, even if they belong to the greatest minds of humanity.)

For my part, I like both action-oriented games as well as tactical round-based games, but many of the latter are either too simple or too complex for my taste. DOS managed to be perfect in this matter for me, so I am overjoyed about this decision of the developers.

I don't think they have forgotten or "trashed" their former ideas, they just moved on as creative people do sometimes. I understand everyone who liked the old combat more to grief about its removal – I've been there many times in my ~35 years of computer gaming – but that's life and there are many alternaves in the gaming world.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
--- been through the Gothic controversies, eh? smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think pretty much every game I've played has caused a controversy when it turned out it wasn't just like its predecessor! Oblivion wasn't Morrowind II, Morrowind wasn't as "deep" as Daggerfall, Fallout 3 literally fell out of Satan's bottom and was a stain on the sanctity of the originals. Conversely, New Vegas will never be bettered and only bore a passing resemblance to FO3 because they were forced to do it. Even though The Outer Worlds wasn't forced and looks and feels exactly the same anyway! (And is better...)

Half Life 2 wasn't as good as the original, Doom 3 wasn't as good as the original, Bioshock 2 wasn't as good as the original and Infinite wasn't as good as either of them. Ego Draconis wasn't a "proper" divinity game because it was an ARPG in other words not-an-RPG-at-all, Original Sin would be a worthy successor (to what?) if only it had all humour purged from it because RPG are srs bsns.

The Sims 3 wasn't as good as The Sims 2. Mass Effect Andromeda wasn't deserving of the name, even though IMHO it was the closest in overall feel to the original. etc.

I'm not immune to it either: I still dislike Skyrim as it felt charmless compared to its predecessors; Sims IV lost something along the way and not just a world featuring terrain, and feels more like Sims 2½ but again without the charm; DOS2 isn't as silly as DOS. Fable III wasn't as good as Fable II though in that instance I played II more recently as I didn't previously have an Xbox to play it on, and I don't think it's a controversial opinion. Mass Effect 2 wasn't as good as its predecessor and ME3... well, it had "that" ending. Which I suppose is a good place to end: choose red, green or blue for the same thing to happen, i.e. for me to stop writing!

J'aime le fromage.
Originally Posted by caninelegion
I feel that real time favors twitch over thinking so I don't like it as much as turn based. Besides, I'm too old for twitch.

Real time gameplay requires thinking ahead and positiong of your character. Thus can be more mind straining than in Turn-based.
Turn-based gameplay is comfortable.
I have suggested that D:OS 3 feature real time with pause gameplay as optional

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=651626

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
How in heck can one control four characters in real time? Every game I have ever played with a coterie that was AI controlled botched it badly. Perhaps (I forget what it is called, WAGO?) planning your move and all character including the enemy move at the same time, but that has issues too sometimes. I guess the best way is four human controllers who can plan what to do prior to the real time battle but, then you have to get all those people lined up and not everyone has broad band.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by vometia

You're a lot younger than me if that's accurate!

I thought I already commented on this (it went to Nemesis?) but, I guess whatever you saw is accurate. I didn't include my birth date in the profile. Just lazy, but JIC: 4 Sept 1957. I'm usually the oldest on a game site; it'd be nice if I'm not for once smile . Well, maybe for me ---

Last edited by caninelegion; 20/12/19 06:29 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Ah, it said something else; or I was looking at the wrong thing, which is also likely! I didn't see a reply but forums sometimes do that so I always do a select-all and copy before submitting... well, often.

Anyway, I do apologise but it turns out I'm a decade younger, though it's open to debate as to whether "younger" is the correct term for an increasingly "in need of a complete overhaul" 1968-vintage.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I guess that makes me the elder statesman again smile Well, in a manner of speaking, anyway.

As for the missing comment, it was just an edit to combine what would have been two replies with one. Sometimes they just don't take.

Last edited by caninelegion; 21/12/19 12:24 AM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

I thought I already commented on this (it went to Nemesis?) but, I guess whatever you saw is accurate. I didn't include my birth date in the profile. Just lazy, but JIC: 4 Sept 1957. I'm usually the oldest on a game site; it'd be nice if I'm not for once smile . Well, maybe for me ---

I'm older than you and I can only play turn based games, real time is impossible for me.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm reminded of a chap on the Bethsoft forums who was (and hopefully still is) much older than either of you, but was quite happy playing real-time stuff! Ol' Dreadful McDude was in his eighties in Oblivion's heyday, if I recall.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by Lostsheep

I'm older than you and I can only play turn based games, real time is impossible for me.

Elder statesman badge happily handed over. smile

RE: "'m reminded of a chap on the Bethsoft forums who was (and hopefully still is) much older than either of you, but was quite happy playing real-time stuff! Ol' Dreadful McDude was in his eighties in Oblivion's heyday, if I recall."

My hat is off to this gentleman. It sure breaks the stereotype of who plays video games!

My hat is off to this gentleman. It sure breaks the stereotype of who plays video games!

By the way, there's a German YouTube channel with seniors playing video games. smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLwZDUuQ7HpVA-QBE9fFdhQ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard