Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Reminder: This is only my personal speculation whose character there is no official confirmation from Larian Studios.

We know that the Bhaal spawn saga concluded in Throne of Bhaal, aka. ("Abdel Adrian's saga") as in official Forgotten realms canon.
Abdel Adrian as aka. Baldur's Gate Saga's character dies according to the official timeline at the module, murder at Baldurs gate thus his story is concluded his story. And Bhaal reborn as the god of Lord of murder. It is definitely concluded.

I think Larian should tell this part of the story as part of BG III in intro cutscene or something.

So we need a new character most likely in BG III. We know that the character is a player avatar, so there's no definition of who (he/she) is
but does need some kind "title" to hold that ties in the legacy of Baldur's Gate Saga. I have a suggestion according to that. Because there's not much info about what Does the "Abdel Adrian does after the events of Baldur's Gate games except, becoming a grand duke of Baldur's gate at some point in Faerun's history.

I have a suggestion that our protagonist in BG III is a child of ("Abdel Adrian") or a foster child of him. Thus tying the game into the Grand saga. And I'm not saying that what kind superpower or connection he/she have to special power to stop the Mindflayer invasion, but that I leave up to Larian's own creative team.

stranger
stranger
I do like your idea and I actually think that it is quite possible that the Baldurs Gate 3 protagonist is going to be somehow related to The Child of Bhaal. I am also very curious what will they do with Candlekeep, which is my favourite place in the entire Faerun. But maybe it's just due to the fact that I'm a Knowledge Cleric in my heart so everything connected with knowledge fascinates me. I can actually see the remains of the prophet which are hidden in Candlekeep being a huge point of interest for the Mindflayers. But maybe these are just my dreams and fantasies. I'm interested to hear more from other members of the forum.

old hand
old hand
I think the main character of the story is going to be the party itself. I think it will be Temple of Elemental Evil be a mixture of multiple created party members and characters you recruit later (ToEE you have a party of 5 created characters and 3 characters you find).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
I think the main character of the story is going to be the party itself. I think it will be Temple of Elemental Evil be a mixture of multiple created party members and characters you recruit later (ToEE you have a party of 5 created characters and 3 characters you find).

God I hope not, I despise this concept. A story needs a central character.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There's not going to be an intro cutscene, dude! They blew all their money on last summer's cinematic trailer and booze-fueled parties. Now they're waiting on that other DnD game to sell copies so WoTC can help redress their budget. If we're lucky BG3 will be a battle royale with microtransactions for cosmetic items and extra characters.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke

Not every story does, it hasn't hurt Wasteland series any for example. The party itself can BE the central character.

old hand
old hand

Not every story does, it hasn't hurt Wasteland series any for example. The party itself can BE the central character.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by korotama
There's not going to be an intro cutscene, dude! They blew all their money on last summer's cinematic trailer and booze-fueled parties. Now they're waiting on that other DnD game to sell copies so WoTC can help redress their budget. If we're lucky BG3 will be a battle royale with microtransactions for cosmetic items and extra characters.

Did they just legalize pot in your area? Just curious.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
There will be, thou it might be the same that we saw in the E3 Trailer... which would be of course the mood setter more than the story cutscene. But if I mean cutscene I meant the usual Forgotten realms style cutscene like in BG II intro Cinematic when the game begins. Because there's lot happened realms between BG games, so introductions to the storyline what's going on would be best handled through some kind story exposition cutscene, to get to know what's the "premise and the main setup of the game " before the gameplay begins.

Part of the Gamedesingn of the 90s if you believe that's a thing... still. The BG III is PC game experience, primarily, the Stadia platform just means it's published in cloud platform addition to the traditional PC audience. Trying to implement microtransactions than DLC might be an audience trust betrayal.

One thing about myself: I'm myself EX- Gamedesinger, before I was betrayed. I used to be a huge Baldur's Gate fan myself. It was the PC game that got me into tabletop gaming and I'm also a 20 year veteran of tabletop RPG gamemaster, I know how to build roleplay game experiences, thou I think Larian studios better experienced at publishing PC games than I have, but still... I think my words count something.

Reminder: I'm not part of Larians studios so my comment does not count their promises and I'm disappointed if I would be wrong, but if they can think better story that I have an offer, go for it.

Last edited by AranSIRE; 28/12/19 07:56 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Did they just legalize pot in your area? Just curious.

Traditionally, my area has been Chaos-aligned so pot has always been legal, although at some point all the worthless wheezing potheads were hauled off into gas chambers because our supreme leader wanted to cut healthcare costs. He had spoken to us thus: Only the strong have earned the right to live in my dominion. We knelt before his exalted countenance and when the sermon was over we proceeded to carry out his will. Life is no picnic around here but there are a variety of perks that show for it.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Ok, I understood your "Casual game point that is definitely the worst-case scenario that could happen." Please don't troll spam forum( I don't want to feed the troll).
I think Baldur's gate and larian are aiming for different audiences, then casual gamers. If they want a bigger audience they would aim for "general gamers" We could call this the same kind audience than Dragon Age series had. I think Baldur's gate needs to be slightly Darker than Dragon Age was.

My tip for Larian on storytelling, Don't hold your punches in storytelling. Dare to go darker than we ever dared almost. Create almost like a gothic horror fantasy movie incarnate. Make us make difficult mature philosophical choices that has no right answer. And give us a glimpse of comic relief, with hamsters so the journey doesn't become too overwhelming. Make us fear this game, but make it so awesome that we can't stop play it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AranSIRE
Ok, I understood your "Casual game point that is definitely the worst-case scenario that could happen." Please don't troll spam forum( I don't want to feed the troll).
I think Baldur's gate and larian are aiming for different audiences, then casual gamers. If they want a bigger audience they would aim for "general gamers" We could call this the same kind audience than Dragon Age series had. I think Baldur's gate needs to be slightly Darker than Dragon Age was.

My tip for Larian on storytelling, Don't hold your punches in storytelling. Dare to go darker than we ever dared almost. Create almost like a gothic horror fantasy movie incarnate. Make us make difficult mature philosophical choices that has no right answer. And give us a glimpse of comic relief, with hamsters so the journey doesn't become too overwhelming. Make us fear this game, but make it so awesome that we can't stop play it.

You're preaching to the choir, man. That's the direction I'd like them to go in as well (I'm a fan of Shin Megami Tensei) but going overboard with edginess turns your game into a niche product so it's a toss-up as to what course will be charted in the end.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I never finished Wasteland 2 because I didn't care enough about the story. I might have if I had a character I was atached to.

apprentice
apprentice
Starting from the few informations we have... (?)... I’d like the story to be about a conflict between Bhaal and one of his children, an illithid returning from wild space and not surrendering his divine essence to the god of murder. The player(s) character(s) and NPCs could then just be random heroes involved, siding with one faction or the other.

I’m not a Larian dude, you wish I’d be!

Or... the main player character could be Lilarcor, in a quest to redeem itself from bloodlust and frenzy and... (fails)... just kill, kill, kill!

apprentice
apprentice
I have the sneaking suspicion that Larian might break with the series' tradition of having a protagonist with a clearly defined background relevant to the game's narrative, and instead give us one with barely any background at all, just so that no one gets to complain again that "the story is too restrictive".

Which, fiy imo, would f***ing suck and I would hate.

I didn't like it in Neverwinter Nights, I didn't like it in D:OS(2). All my favourite RPG's give the protagonist a plot-relevant background. It grows immersion and helps me to properly roleplay. I don't wanna be some random dude with no personal relation to what's going on in the plot. Where usually my character's only logical choice of action would be to get the f out of there. The plot hooks in the original series where brilliant. BG1 gives you the following options: Take revenge for your dad's death, kill the guy who's trying to kill you, figure out your own past, or be the hero. BG2: Safe you sister/soul, get revenge on the guy who kidnapped and tortured you, try to find out what that guy's deal is, or be the hero. Most games just give you the last option which is duuuuuumb.

Anyway, with as little information we already do have, I would assume that Charname2 is gonna be a Baldur's Gate citizen. Maybe a member of the Flaming Fist.
Though highly unlikely, I think it would be hilarious if Charname2 would be one of Coran's kids. But they can't do that, since that would be restricting the racial options. Though maybe maybe maybe Larian takes a slice from DA and let's you choose from a select number of origins, letting you choose who of the old companions is your (grand)parent. I.e. Coran for elves and half-elves, Mazzy for Halflings, Imoen for humans and half-humans, etc. That could be neat.

stranger
stranger
I must admit that I also prefer to have one main character with a party based around his journey, but at the same time with companions having their own troubles and backstories. It makes the whole adventure much more interesting and just as Buttercheese mentioned, it gives us some sort of a plot hook which we can aspire to resolve.

stranger
stranger
I kinda like the idea of a partial group that has a deep story line consisting of a bond among the group. Why not even start with 7 some what chosen characters. Of them seven you have to make adjustments to the group deciding who to keep and who must be kicked with a party that keeps changing and impacts the story. Some could be just temporary to the story or zones while others are in for the long haul if you treat them right.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What if the protagonist is not an individual but the party. Each individual would have story goals based upon there backstory ideals, goals, and flaws. But it would be the party as a whole as the identity of the protagonist, much like Force Grey, or Aquistions Inc., or the C-Team.

Well, it's obviously will be Baldur the Third, from prominent english family of Gates. Maybe even Bill Gates will make a cameo appearance in the game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
English? He's nowt to do with us.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard